USPA

Bent reserve pin

Hi all,

We had a small incident at our DZ this weekend, concerning a bent reserve pin.

Jumper in question did a proper pin-check and boarded the plane, when she seated herself, she losed her balance and her rig skimed the backplate (of the airplane). Immediatly she asked for a pincheck, the jumper who performed the pincheck spotted a bent reservepin (it had "hang up" on the backplate for a second). She left the plane before taxi-out and had her pin replaced. Head's up for the good safety awareness.

See attached pictures for the reserve pin.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

pin2.jpg

pin1.jpg

pin3.jpg

I don't think that being under the velcro would have helped. I think the entire flap bent up. Reserves which have a tuck tab at the bottom to prevent bending up of the flap would probably not have experienced this problem.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I've seen vectors, and commonly xeroxs (vector copies) with 'Crew bars' fitted which might have prevented this

Good catch nevertheless though!.:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I was going to say, the great thing about the SF is the truly bombproof pin cover! If whilst being worn something hard gets close enough to bend the reserve pin - you're probably past caring!!!

Theres are instructor at my DZ doing up an old racer/td (can't remember which) just to dispatch SL students with as it involves shuffling about the aircraft a lot and he dosn't want the pin worries.

Regards,
Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I've always wondered - what's the procedure for flightline checks if you have a teardrop/racer? Do you just say that it was checked before you put you rig on or what? I only ask because I think teardrops are the shit and will be looking to get one if I ever get my Cat 8. Cheers!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

That reminds me of the last time I did a tandem poised exit from a Cessna - more than a decade ago. The student tried to stand up on the step and jammed me into the underside of the wing, bending a reserve pin on the underside of the door.
As to the debate over whether a newer Javelin or Teardrop Superfly would have prevented this problem: I doubt it. Students have proven repeatedly, that if you slam any rig around long enough and hard enough you can bend a pin or break a closing loop.

I have seen this exact same thing on a Talon rig only the pin was bent at 90 deg. on exit and was found after the jump during packing( reserve flap would not lay down flat). We could not pull the reserve handle on the ground!!!!
The pins on my rig are not well protected and my
risers are not covered....this is why I am careful
around the aircraft. No rig is bullet proof but enough
caution can keep you alive a long time.
...mikeB|

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

SkyMonkey said, if I have my attributions right
>You just get someone to check it before you put your rig on. Or when you get your B licence, you can check it yourself before you put the rig on, and get checked by someone else as normal

Really? This cropped up at Sibson on Sunday! The first ever outing for my new Teardrop SF. I innocently asked what the procedure was to get checked (also my first jump at Sibson as a 'real' skydiver). I was told (by Ronnie) that if an AAD was fitted, it had to be switched on, and therefore it had to be seen by the checker - I presume that a reserve pin check would fall in the same category (both under a flap against the back, for those puzzled).

I was in the process of taking the whole damn lot off (thinking 'this is going to get to be a bore'), when the instructor who checked my kit on arrival happened to pass by and was able to confirm that he had seen it.

BUT if I have a (FAI?) B licence, that overcomes the problem? Where would I find that written down?

Regards
John Midgley

the flap itself hang-up most probably, so this wouldn't have prevented it.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I had the the crew-mod on my old vector, but these mod are of "soft" material. Most probably this wouldn't have prevented it.

I have seen this exact same thing on a Talon rig only the pin was bent at 90 deg. on exit and was found after the jump during packing( reserve flap would not lay down flat). We could not pull the reserve handle on the ground!!!!
...mikeB|

One more reason to get CYPRES :o

I found a bent reservpin on a Tear-drop while inspection and reservpacking. It was bent by the former rigger who had tightened the loop waaay to much.

So, foolproof pin-protection on the back-pad is not that foolproof after all...

Cheers

Another thing besides a pin check that can also help is to be as careful as you can to not sit down abruptly/lean back quickly against something. Also, when you are in the process of sitting down you may want to protect your handle (in my case BOC). This helps reduce the possibility that handles or pins will become loose or fouled.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

>So, foolproof pin-protection on the back-pad is not that foolproof after all...

You can make things relativelty foolproof, but when you get an expert fool who's also a rigger, all bets are off. I like having a reflex because once I check the pin before putting the rig on I can be pretty assured nothing has messed with it before I jump.

...mikeB|

One more reason to get CYPRES :o

WRONG ANSWER!!!!

This rig had a CYPRES, and no RSL, so you would
be 100% correct in guessing the only way to open
the reserve would be to cut the loop! But remember this...if you drag your gear all over the aircraft and
dislodge the reserve pin and open the reserve on the step....you and others could die in a heartbeat!

Right Answer

Don't beat your gear up against the aircraft or anything else. CYPRESS can not solve every problem
that occurs during skydiving.
P.S. his main opened just fine...

...mikeB|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.