outofit

question about deployment systems on student rigs?

My opinion: BOC is the way to go.

I prefer to teach people skills/habits that will be with them for their entire career.

Not to say BOC is the be-all, end-all, who knows what will develop in skydiving...

Just try to keep up. Teaching skydiving is a dynamic science/art.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

We use BOC at Skydive Aggieland. I wish the DZ I learned at had used BOC, I was using a spring loaded PC with a ripcord for the first 20 jumps...I destinctly remember on one of the dives, the PC not launching past my burble and hitting me in the head (I reached back, grabbed it and tossed it into the wind). That was just plain annoying.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Although it sounds like some DZ's are switching over to BOC

Note that there are BOC ripcord and BOC throwout systems. The more traditional location for both were on the rear legstrap, or at the junction of the legstraps (for ripcord.) Many DZ's are switching to BOC throwouts. They have some advantages for students that become experienced skydivers, since there is no transition after the student program. They have a few disadvantages in that there are more ways to screw up when using a throwout (hang on to it, get it wrapped around your arm etc.)

All of our student and rental rigs are BOC throwouts, and have been for a long time. Best to teach with the same style equipment they'll use in the real world.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Best to teach with the same style equipment they'll use in the real world.

People keep saying that, but remember, there's always one in the bunch. I know a guy that jumps at a large DZ in Texas that still uses a Spring Loaded PC and refuses to change. Then again, his gear is about the same age I am, but remember, there's always someone who defies what people consider to be an all inclusive thing.:S
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For some reason I wasn't taught anything about this during AFF.

This is very true, but you're only going to use one method to teach, and there are probably a few more people out there jumping BOCs than ripcords.;):P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

For some reason I wasn't taught anything about this during AFF.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is because a good AFF Instructor will only teach you what you "must know" to survive a particular skydive. He/she knows that AFF students have to learn huge amounts of information on their first few dives, so they KISS (Keep It Simple Skydiver).
All the "should knows" and "could knows" can come after you have mastered basic sky survival skills.

(that was the quote from the that other thread you replied to)

Doh! I guess I should be fully awake before operating a computer!;)

Very true.

My first dozen jumps were on bellyband ripcord rigs. My last 4 were on BOCs - transition was creepy, to say the least. No matter how much I practiced on the ground - I went for the belly band on my first BOC jump.:| It's all good now, though:)

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very true.

My first dozen jumps were on bellyband ripcord rigs. My last 4 were on BOCs - transition was creepy, to say the least. No matter how much I practiced on the ground - I went for the belly band on my first BOC jump. It's all good now, though

I did the exact same thing transitioning from Ripcord to Throwout. I trained and trained on the ground, told myself the whole ride to altitude that I wouldn't hold onto the pilot chute....and at pull time I sat there wondering why my main wasn't opening...until I looked to my right and saw the pilot chute still attached to the handle I was still holding.

It only happened once, but why let it happen at all?

Perhaps if one spends too much time thinking and not doing, the results will not be favorable.........

Familiarization with the equipment you use, then using it, might prove very advantageous.......

Transitioning to another style of equipment need not become an issue lest one's quest is for the unfavorable result........

Though there are many paths to an end result, the one most favored might be the one you learn how to teach others......

Congratulations on your efforts thus far, Welcome to the "World of the Raeford Dragon".........Good habits shall follow you always, bad ones will interrupt your journey............

Perhaps you will become a mentor to others that follow you....?!!

CRWBUDDHA

What exactly is that BOC type?
We (dropzone in Holland) still use ripcord with spring but there's already talk about changing to a throwout systems.
Is this throwout system BOC?
Why is it better anyways?

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

BOC stand for Bottom of Container. The handle for a BOC system is generally placed at the bottom right corner of the container. So when you go to pull, you are reaching toward the small of your back. When most people speak of BOC, they are referring to a throwout system also. So they are actually throwing the PC into the relative wind. Although some DZ's such as Kapowsin Air Sports, have spring loaded PC's with the handle at same location. This is to smooth out the transition process between Rip-cord and BOC throwout.