SSkydiver

Sit flying

Not looking to sit fly just yet but i was wondering is it better to learn to sit fly with baggy clothes or a freefly suit or getting a sit fly suit. It seems to me the sit fly suit would be a good investment to help someone new to learn how to sit fly giving the wings in the arms.

What about the old big wing suits from the seventies ? I've got a beauty of a 1979 Silly Suit with BEEEG wings. I just returned to the sport and use a nice Tony Suit for RW, but would the Silly Suit be good for sitflying ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Don't waste your money on a sit-suit all it will do is make you a lazy flyer, get a quality all-around freefly suit, maybe a little coaching and you will thank yourself later.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

I have always heard that if you use a sitsuit, you rely on it too much, and so then you can't actually do a sitfly as good as people who learned without a sitsuit.
I'm also learning to sitfly, and everyone has been telling me just to wear something kinda baggy on your arms, like a sweatshirt or a big long-sleeved tshirt.
I've always wondered though, if sitflying in a RW suit is easier or harder than in just baggy street clothes.

MB 3528, RB 1182

O.K., keep in mind I have exactly 3 sitfly jumps. None actually successful, ut three attempted (and wild fun...wild wild wild fun).

The coaching I received was jeans on the bottom, and baggy/drag on the arms. I wore baggy long sleeve tee-s (tucked waaaaaaaaaaay far down), and wore comfy - although not baggy - jeans. There was someone else learning at the same time, and he actually taped his pant's cuffs down.

I had no difficulty (again, noting lack of success) with the clothing. I had significant difficulty with flailing appendages, but also doubt that had anything to do with my clothing...;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I've always wondered though, if sitflying in a RW suit is easier or harder than in just baggy street clothes.

I think it is. I attempted a sit-fly in my RW suit and spun like a top. B2 told me that was in no-small-part due to the RW suit (but my RW suit is baggy because I'm a big boy, and that may also be a factor.)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I've always wondered though, if sitflying in a RW suit is easier or harder than in just baggy street clothes[***
I only sit in my rw suit. I just tuck the booties under and go with it. It works like a champ as I've got extra fabric on my arms ( fat boy suit )

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Don't get a sit fly suit. You don't need it. It's hard on the arms and shoulders, And it's nothing like the real deal when you take it off.

Sit suits didn't exist when I began. My partner and I learned in regular short sleeve t-shirts and Baggy sweats. Completely backwards wouldn't you think? No one said it was more difficult there fore it wasn't. We were able to dock feet to feet with in 20 jumps.

Don't waste your money on a suit you'll soon hang in the closet to never be used again.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've been dabbling in sit flying for some time. If you don't wear pants but a long sleved shirt, it makes it quite easy.
However, i realized that if i screw around with ff much i'll wind up medocre at FF and Medocre at RW, as for now, i'm a belly man.
opinions, check my signiture.
=========Shaun ==========

Get coaching when you're ready to learn to sitfly - at least a jump or two.

Your coach will probably tell you to wear something baggy on top and tighter on the bottom. The baggy top will grab air and assist you in keeping a vertical body position - tighter (or nothing, like shorts) on your legs will make it easier for you to keep them under you.

This 'rule'/principle is great for learning - once you've learned a certain amount of muscle memory in the position, you can fly wearing whatever you want!

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

see man i told you you needed to wear that shirt... nahhh don't listen to me hahah

the best way to get into a sit when learning is to wear a fleece sweatshirt. it creats the most drag and tilts you up ino the sit. the rest is just learning how to get your feet down, not back slide and then how to slow down.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I started on freeflying the day I got off student status. This was at the old Skydive St. Louis in Bowling Green,Mo.. I wore jeans and a sweatshirt ( yup, you sweat on the ride to altitude ). Me and Paul Burke ( he unfortunately was killed in a canopy collision several years ago) were able to get stable and dock while sitting and standing in just street clothe and no real information. This was in 1997 and there was very little to go on. Tamara Koyn provided coaching the following year at SD St. Louis. I still recieve advise from Tamara. If you are lucky enough to be at a DZ where there are highly capable freeflyers LISTEN - LOOK - LEARN. Oh yeah, and spread the love.

I spent a full season learning to sit in shorts and a t-shirt. I wouldn't be described as dainty so everyone always bitched at me to get a suit because I fell like a rock. Well, eventually, I learned to slow down and hang with everyone else in just that tshirt and shorts. Now I have a suit and I have to make myself faster. Don't know if it helped me or hindered me but the bottom line is, sit fly suit is a waste. If you have the cash for general purpose FF suit, go for it, but it's not necessary when starting out and learning to sit.

I TRIED everything from bag all over to shorts to my RW suit when starting to sit. Go put that RW suit on and try some sit...see how it feels :S I was all over the place but who isn't when just learning. For me as a girl, I wear capri bottoms (fitted) and a long sleeve shirt but not one that has tons of drag. I think since I have learned to fly my legs more so then baggy clothes, it will be helpful down the road. Just have to go try things and see what feels best for you. Good luck - wait until you feel it for the first time.....I was doing the happy dance in my harness the whole way down...YIPPEE!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I TRIED everything from bag all over to shorts to my RW suit when starting to sit. Go put that RW suit on and try some sit...see how it feels :S I was all over the place but who isn't when just learning. For me as a girl, I wear capri bottoms (fitted) and a long sleeve shirt but not one that has tons of drag. I think since I have learned to fly my legs more so then baggy clothes, it will be helpful down the road. Just have to go try things and see what feels best for you. Good luck - wait until you feel it for the first time.....I was doing the happy dance in my harness the whole way down...YIPPEE!

Seems to me that sit flying in a RW suit with booties would be kinda hard. Think i'm gonna have to go for the FF suit and maybe some FF pants.

Get coaching when you're ready to learn to sitfly - at least a jump or two.

Agreed. A coach will not only help you learn to freefly, but will advise you on the added dangers of freeflying. There are risks that are more significant to free-fliers than belly fliers (and vice-versa), that you've probably never been taught in AFF.

Save your money and don't buy a suit. Wear shorts and a sweatshirt to start. Spend the money on coaching. It will be a better investment.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Shorts and a long sleeve shirt simple as that. You could drop $250 on a nice FF suit and then learn to FF, but doesn't make much since to me. You could that cool guy that looks great with hot new gear that cna't skydive for shit, but my advice dont' be THAT GUY!!!!!!

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

For start use something really buggy on top. Legs should have much drag so it makes your life easier. Of course if you intend to get some coaching, your coach will give you the best info. I believe sitfly suits are waist of money.

Kyros