CanuckInUSA

Be careful jumping at DZs you're not familiar with

I just thought I'd start up a "Be careful of jumping at a dropzone which you may not be 100% familiar with" thread. I was down in Calhan CO this weekend for their "High Plains" boogie (the highest DZ in North America at approx. 6400 feet MSL) and came close to messing myself up on my last jump there yesterday. All weekend long we were jumping one of Eloy's Twin Otters (meaning that there is more canopies in the air than most of us were used to) and for the most part I was being pretty conservative with my swoops. Heck the winds were so squirelly all weekend, swooping was an added bonus as the only real agenda for each landing was being able to land safely with all that traffic and the squirelly winds (their landing area isn't the worst place I've jumped at, but it's not one of the better places)

Anyway to make a long story short, on my last jump of the day, I was making a nice conservative right hand pattern approach and there was a minor traffic issue to avoid. I proceeded to make about a 135 degree front riser carve/hook to land into the wind and avoid the traffic and I would like to add that I initiated this turn at what I thought was a nice safe altitude based on the altitudes I am used to. But before you know it, I'm in the corner digging myself out and this could have been a messy situation to be in had things been delayed a split second or two, or if I been flying a higher perfomance canopy.

So what happened? My firm belief is that I was jumping at a DZ 1400 feet higher than what I am used to (keep in mind that I already jump at altitude) and my canopy needed even more altitude to recover from that turn than what it needs at my home DZ. Now this is a good example of surviving because I wasn't jumping a super highly loaded high performance canopy (even though some people might argue that I am loading my Sabre2 high at 1.35:1). But I also wonder would I have been in the same position if I was flying a different canopy. I think the answer is no, as I wouldn't have initiated the turn at the lower altitude. But I digress.

I think the moral that I need to take away from this experience is to be even more conservative while jumping at a DZ I may not be familiar with (despite the fact that I thought I was being fairly conservative all weekend). And any high performance canopy pilots who come to visit CO (or any other high altitude DZ) be aware that your canopy will not perform the same way you're used to having it perform.

Now I'm real curious as to what to expect when I visit Rantoul in two weeks. One thing is for sure, I will need to exercise good judgement while trying to swoop. I know my canopy won't be flying as fast as I'm used to and I won't swoop as far as I do here in CO. But I likely could still get myself into just as much trouble jumping at a DZ I'm not familiar with. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Calhan is the highest civilian DZ in the US. When you get to Quincy you will wonder where all of your speed has gone - two completely different beasts. If you can land in Calhan, Quicny won't be anything.

I've had my share of "interesting" landings at Calhan and learned VERY VERY fast that you really need to be as conservative as you were when initially learning swooping techniques there as that place will eat ANYONE up alive regardless of their experiences elsewhere if they've never been to Calhan b4.

GOod to hear you didn't batter yourself to badly!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

In all my years of jumping in the midwest, the air never felt like it feels at MileHi or Calhan in Colorado - not even remotely close.

I fly a Stiletto 135 when I'm back in the midwest, and my Colorado rig is a Sabre135 and the Sabre out here still feels faster overall than my Stiletto back home...

Not to say that isn't true, I've just never experienced that in 9 years of jumping in the midwest and Colorado...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

What was the air temp that day???

It was hot (in the 90s).

But I've been jumping in hot, no-wind, 5000 foot MSL conditions all summer now. This jump was 1400 feet higher than what I am used to with a 15 mph head wind. So my canopy dove towards the ground much faster than what I expected (higher density altitude plus a strong head wind) and I found myself digging out of the corner (not a good place to be). It was a wake up call and with Rantoul (and other boogies) just around the corner, I thought I'd plant the seed for those of us jumping at DZs we're not familiar with to dial it down a little when we skydiving. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't think you'll have a problem at the Convention. I've watch you under canopy and you're doing a good job.
When I jump out at FRSD, I'm always heads up, cause I hate that landing area.
We did have two minor injuries on Saturday. When I left on Sunday, so far no body had gotten hurt.
BTW, you need to PM Michael. He has a surprise for you;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

What's the real pain is packing in that humidity.

Really all that humidity helps get it in the bag easier. We live in Colorado where it's dry, dry, dry.
Yes, the humidity will zap energy when packing, so drinking lots of water is a must.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Altitude is definitely a factor. It's become a pasttime here at Lost Prairie to watch the sea-level jumpers jump here for the first time in the usual no-wind afternoons, and have them discover that their canopy doesn't land the same at 3500 feet. Makes it tough to demo canopies; you have to go a size larger to get similar landing speeds, and larger canopies fly differently than smaller canopies (even at the same landing speeds.)

steve,

i know what you are talking about. the first time i jumped at calahan i thought it was fast, but i guess i've gotten used to it. when i started jumping at skydive the rockies i really didn't notice a diffrence from calahan, and now that i'm jumping at skydive utah (4500msl landing) i have gotten used to it too... when i have gone down to eloy or perris i always overshoot my landings the first few jumps cuz i'm used to a faster steeper decent. rantoul should be fun to beable to play with my canopy at a lowwer altitude

Altitude is definitely a factor. It's become a pasttime here at Lost Prairie to watch the sea-level jumpers jump here for the first time in the usual no-wind afternoons, and have them discover that their canopy doesn't land the same at 3500 feet. Makes it tough to demo canopies

I was a bad girl and went for the size smaller than my usual canopy when Aubrey let me demo the Sabre 2.. Before that I had stood up EVERY landing even if I did have to run like a banshee on a few of the early morning ..."Almost Sober" loads. Jump number two on the Sabre2 was awsum.... but in a lot of wind... jump number 3 on it the next morning was bizarre and got me a hell of a good pasture rash on my left arm oh and not a single wet cowpie was slid thru by me:P.....but at least I SMUSHED one hell of a lot of grasshoppers on that one:S

Amazon

So my canopy dove towards the ground much faster than what I expected (higher density altitude plus a strong head wind)

Glad you're ok, and not to be picky but it is a common misconception that a headwind will keep you in a dive longer. This is just an illusion caused by you covering less ground over a period of time that you're used to, making it seem like you're diving longer, when in fact you're just staying over the same piece of ground longer. i.e. your situation was elevation induced. Scott Miller covers this extensively in his class, so if you ever have an opportunity to attend, I'd highly recommend it.

Be safe and thanks for sharing the experience.

Blue skies and safe swoops,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team