skydude

Skydiving to Wuffos ? HELP !

Hi all !
I've been volunteered to give a lunchtime discussion chat on skydiving to a bunch of wuffo's at work. (this should be funny !) Anyone have any idea's or suggestions ? I was thinking just the basic stuff but am open to any idea's !
Kind of thinking along the What Where When Who Why line's of thought ... for now... but like I said .. any input I'd be glad to have !:ph34r:

Thanks
Is it Bridge Day Yet ? :-)

don't forget to mention why jumping in the rain is so uncomfortable.... You run into the pointy end of the raindrops.

If you look down and see blue, turn over.

The phrase "throw up" takes on a new, more literal meaning.

No such thing as a "perfectly" good airplane

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

When people ask me to describe the sensation of freefall, I tell them it's like trying to describe an orgasm. The best way to find out is to experience it yourself!

On our safety commitee, I was asked what the most important piece of safety equipment for skydiving is. I told them "Your brain".

When people tell me they are afraid of heights, I always tell them I was, too.

And they always love hearing the story of the one guy at your DZ who can land on a picnic table without spilling anyones' drink!

Easy Does It

I helped my son with this for a speech. We titled it, "so you want to make a skydive", and went through the whole process of what we do from getting to the dropzone and manifesting, to the end of the dive and packing. We tore out pictures from Parachutist and showed the different disciplines, and I brought all my stuff into the class and put it all on as he was talking about them. Finally at the end we showed a video of yours truly.

He got an A+! B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We tore out pictures from Parachutist

YOU DEFACED A PARACHUTIST!

wait a sec...I shouln't yell, especially at a Greenie...I'm sorry Skymama...can you ever forgive me?

I would just pretend like your teaching a FJC. Remember these are the people that thought we wear jump suits so the wind doesn't tear our skin off

YOU DEFACED A PARACHUTIST!

wait a sec...I shouln't yell, especially at a Greenie...I'm sorry Skymama...can you ever forgive me?

I've even been known to throw some of them away too!

You're not allowed to yell at me, I'll have to spank you now. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yeah, I have given a few talks to whuffos about skydiving.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words,
try starting with a video.
Also take a long a fully-dressed skydiver and have them stand there quietly while you point out all the safety features. You know, things like one hand for beer while the other hand holds a bong.
Oh sorry, I got off topic there.
The toughest part is keeping a straight face when they start re-counting popular mis-conceptions.

-Lots of pictures
-Lots of stuff they can touch (a rig, for example)
-A video or two

Talk a few minutes between each video/demo, and just hit the highlights (how ram-airs fly, how we land, how we exit.) Some things that I find whuffos are impressed by:

-Floating
-Accuracy landings
-Exotic aircraft jumps

"Don't forget to explain how when falling in terminal you can't breathe and you have to rely on your skin absorbing the oxygen."

ROFL - And, don't forget to explain how the grippers act as static dissipaters... they keep you from getting electrocuted because of all the protons & neutrons in the earth's atmosphere. :ph34r: Oh, and how you have to dis-charge them with a dryer sheet.;)

Blues!

Merrick

"Don't forget to explain how when falling in terminal you can't breathe and you have to rely on your skin absorbing the oxygen."

and that if you fly through a cloud, you'll drown because you absorb all the water vapor through your skin! B|

"I'll tear up this ticket, but I'm still gonna have to ask you for a bribe." Chief Clancy Wiggum

I always start my speeches this way, when asked to describe the feeling of jumping.
"It's kinda like having sex, and being in a train wreck............ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I'm married, so i NEVER have sex, but I really dig train wrecks!! That's why I skydive!" That seems to get their attention and break the ice at the same time. I don't know your marital status, so wing it!!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"