efs4ever

Astronaut Laurel Clark reportedly a "parachutist"

Anyone know the extent of her experience?

Hi Russel-
she was from Racine, Wis. and listed skydiving as one of her favorite pastimes...
I don't know for sure, but heard through a friend that she had a couple hunderd jumps starting in college...
It's my understanding that NASA won't let you sport skydive...race cars bikes or boats...etc.
once you are picked for a mission...and the selection process is 3-4 years prior. Don't know for sure but that's what Story Musgrave said in a talk he gave years ago...he has several hundred jumps as well.

...so how was the Superbowl party!?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Don't forget Fred. Way cool guy. I forget what Shuttle flight he was on. I got to be on the same plane as Fred in the 2000 attempts. And of course, I have forgotten Fred's last name. Anyone help me out?

I assume you mean Fred Leslie, PhD.

IIRC he was on two shuttle missions.

I love his T-shirt "why yes, in fact I AM a rocket scientist..."

Blue skies,

Winsor

I think that's him. I liked his response when asked about being an astronaut: "You log 5,000 hours of high performance jet time over a long career but spend 10 days in space and you are forever known as an Astronaut!" LOL....like that's a bad thing. They're all American heros and patriots as far as I'm concerned. If you run into any of these people thank them for their sacrifice and dedication to Space exploration.

Chris

They're all American heros and patriots as far as I'm concerned.

My countrymen who have travelled aboard the Space Shuttle are Canadian heros. I believe that people who venture into space represent much more than any one country. they represent the human race. One planet, One people!

"You log 5,000 hours of high performance jet time over a long career but spend 10 days in space and you are forever known as an Astronaut!"

Talked to an astronaut who said you train four years to became copilot on the shuttle just so you can say, "Landing Gear: Down"
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Was that Jim Newman? I've heard him say that. Or it could be generalized across the corps, too...

Jim Newman applied 3 times to be an astronaut, too. His first and second times, he wrote long essays on why he wanted to be one, and got rejected. The third time, he was sick of that and figured it didn't help. So when asked why he wanted to be an astronaut, he simply wrote
"I like to travel."

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)