Rookeskydiver

Fitness and Skydiving project

Hey guys, For a fitness class that im taking this semester i have to do a 5 min. oral presentation on a sport and how it fits into the fitness category. When i heard about this project, skydiving popped right into my head. but the only problem is trying to talk about how skydiving fits into the fitness category. I will be talking about how flexibility plays a major role in skydiving but i just cant think of many others. Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas? thanks

PCSS # 1 Rookeskydiver
"Its a Wonka Bar"....."Go ahead Charlie open it, lets see that golden ticket"

cardiovascular. the better yours is, the less likely you are to be effected as quickly by hypoxia. Physical Strength for doing things like packing, or risering on certain canopies...not to mention the better shape you are in, the more likely it is for you to be able to walk away from a not so perfect landing, or run out a downwinder.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

no problem. I'm sure I'm not thinking of them all, so just try and look at a skydive from start to finish, and think of what you could do physically to make it better. Also, you could include the fact that this sport has very much to do with mental conditioning and being in an "ideal performance state." Being well rested and physically sound also helps with this.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

As a joke, you can add on that if you're a female who is fit, you have a much better chance at getting people to jump with you, free pack jobs and free beer. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Skydiving is one of the few sports that you don't get into better shape simply by doing it. I mean, think about it. If you participate in most sports you get into better shape just from doing the activity. Running, bicycling, soccer, basketball, football, hockey, hiking, rock climbing... all build fitness as you do them.

Not skydiving though. Being in good physical condition can help you be a better skydiver, but jumping doesn't improve flexibility, cardio, strength, etc. You have to do other things to improve those areas... like running, bicycling, etc. :ph34r:

Good call...and male or female, if you plan to spend a great deal of time in the sport, you'll need those pipes to carry the cases and cases of beer you're gonna owe the dropzone.

edit to add: More for cardio, you're gonna need to run fast and hard to get away from pieings too. More of an exercise in futility than anything wlse, because they will get you eventually, they know you're coming back.;)

S.E.X. party #1

diving is one of the few sports that you don't get into better shape simply by doing it.

Well, I know one physical therapist that claims that you can tell skydivers and how much skydiving they do by the shape of their rump. Her claim is that arching causes the butt muscles to clentch and is therefore a perfect ass isometric.

I'm not certain I buy it, but it's an interesting topic of discussion while watching people pack.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The stronger you are, the better you can launch 4 and 8 way exits. The better your balance is easier it is to freeflying, example.....I know a girl who was a syncronised swimmer and she took to freeflying like a fish to water, the possition was totally natural for her.
Fly it like you stole it!

I like Quade's "ass presentation" the best I think. You could show examples, have graphs, charts, and most importantly pictures. Perhaps, depending on how buzy your dz's skydivers are, you could bring in a few hotties to strut the benefits of a good arch. I know I'd give you good marks.B|

S.E.X. party #1

Quade, I'll agree with that therapist. After a weekend of jumping, my butt is sore. My hubby says it's one of the best things about me jumping.:ph34r:

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

In addition to what everyone else said, there is an endurance aspect. It's partly physical and partly mental. Getting through some things in skydiving (the AFF JCC, state and world record attempts) takes a lot more stamina than I thought it did.

I'm sure there's some medical explanation for that, regarding the "downer" after a dopamine high, and how severe it can be. I haven't done anything remotely as taxing as those examples, yet it seems regardless of one jump or five, or whatever, as soon as I know the day is done, I get sooooo burned out.

S.E.X. party #1

Skydiving is one of the few sports that you don't get into better shape simply by doing it. ...

Not skydiving though. Being in good physical condition can help you be a better skydiver, but jumping doesn't improve flexibility, cardio, strength, etc. ...

CRW (especially sequential) can be very physically demanding and improves all of the things mentioned. One most definitely gets in better shape doing it.

Bob

Quade, I'll agree with that therapist. After a weekend of jumping, my butt is sore. My hubby says it's one of the best things about me jumping.:ph34r:

Thank you very much...(bows humbly)...:P@quade.

Ever looked at the Airspeed boy's?:)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well, -maybe- with all the creeping and stuff . . . but I can't imagine it having too much effect on say . . . the average skydiver.

That's the ticket....the 'average' skydiver shows just an...well...an 'average' conditioned backside. While those who have this as more of a lifestyle show their 'fitness' even under those wonderful and fitted jumpsuits. ;)

btw, the best conditioning contraction is only in 7 second intervals. The more repetitions done, the more firmness is gained. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hey guys, For a fitness class that im taking this semester i have to do a 5 min. oral presentation on a sport and how it fits into the fitness category.

as an experiment you might consider wearing a heart monitor on a jump.. I did so and got a max reading of 188 BPM (on opening).. if you focus on that compared with mental performance, you might come up with a pretty good presentation.

Blue Ones !

Bryan

2 things:

When I first started jumping I lost 18 pounds. I didn't realize it until I stepped on a scale one day at work and thought it was broken. I was going through AFF at the time and did a maximum of one jump a week. For some reason my metabolism went through the roof; I had not changed my eating habits at all. Tell that to the group and I bet you get a bunch of them to come out to the DZ with you. ;)

Second: When I first started jumping my Sabre 135, I was told to start experimenting with my front risers. I couldn't budge them. Not much later I started weight training. It improved my stamina and I could jump more each weekend because I could pack more each weekend. Then one day I remembered to try the front risers and easily pulled them to my chest!

-Sandy (gained it back, though, once I learned to sleep on the plane)

I think skydiving does take quite a bit of endurance, particularly if you do your own packing. At the end of a hot day, when I'm making one jump after another and packing in between, I end up being very tired. Part of that might be because I'm getting to be an old fart, but I've seen some younger jumpers who were just as drained. I think most types of cardio-vascular activity would help. Being over-weight also has few advantages in our sport. Sure you can get a bigger chute and baggier jump suit. It seems like many over-weight jumpers still have a hard time doing quality RW and are more likely to get hurt than someone who is physically fit. I've always liked weight training. I knew a marathon runner who also lifted weights because he said that it held his body together and kept him from getting hurt. This might also apply to sky diving. Steve1

For the most part, skydiving is a sport that you get in shape for.
Skydiving only helps with fitness when you do eight or more jumps per day on a regular basis.
For example, when I do eight tandems a day during the busy season, my arms get pretty strong. During the off season I have to add chin ups and push ups to my routine to keep my arm muscles firm.

The flexibility point is shown nicely in the pics HH posted of Betsy in Talk Back. You could also point out how strength is needed for the TM and new jumper to flare such a large main. Strength is also needed for long tracks because you have to tighten your leg muscles and hold them during the track. Maybe you could get a video of the break off from the 300 way that shows all the stages of serious tracking like your life depends on it.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Don't forget the strength needed to add 20-30 pounds of equipment onto your body. If you're not in some kind of shape, it's a difficult walk to the plane. :D

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Don't forget to include arm strength (mainly from the elbow down) from turning the handles on the fooz table and most importantly from lifting those ice cold liquid refreshments to your mouth.....mmm beer...:S
..actually now I think more on the subject, how about the workout the stomach muscles receive after removing the aforementioned liquid refreshments??;)

milney

If at first you don't succeed..don't try skydiving