bergh

Pull out or BOC

K another newbie question what is pull out and what's BOC (is BOC Bottom of Container?), I understand its connected with the deployment of the main but not sure how!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Why nobody makes a pull-out with the bridle attached to the TOP of PC instead of the BOTTOM?

It would function just like standard pull-out (pulling pin first), but you would be able to throw it further away from your body (instead of how it is with current designs, where it inflates next to your body, gets extracted from your palm and can go back on your back)?

Why nobody makes a pull-out with the bridle attached to the TOP of PC instead of the BOTTOM?

I think this configuration exists, and it goes under the name of a pull-out with inverted pilot. I don't have experience with either type of pull-out, so this is all I can say.
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

>Why nobody makes a pull-out with the bridle attached to the TOP of
>PC instead of the BOTTOM?

Because then the PC wouldn't work. They don't work upside down. Did you mean put the HANDLE on top instead of on the bottom? That might well work; it would be a sort of a pullout/throwout hybrid.

I was under the impression that this option already existed.

I'm sure it exists, I'm pretty sure it's called a negative pull-out.
Web search came out negative :S tho.

Can't remember where I've heard of it, but since I did, it can't be all that exotic, can it?? ;) Maybe it's a dutch/european thing, if Eddy knows about it too :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I prefer jumping a pull-out, but have modified my pull-out rig with a BOC pocket, as well, so I can jump a wingsuit with that rig (this of course requires a second bag/bridle/PC system). Big camera wings not a problem with the pull-out for me...1000+ camera jumps with no reserve rides.
As for lessening the probability of a horseshoe, a pull-out will do this, but you also add a malfunction...the floating PUD. However, all things being equal, I'd take a floating PUD over a horseshoe any day of the week. I've had a couple floaties and they're pretty easy to deal with.

>Why nobody makes a pull-out with the bridle attached to the TOP of
>PC instead of the BOTTOM?

Because then the PC wouldn't work. They don't work upside down. Did you mean put the HANDLE on top instead of on the bottom? That might well work; it would be a sort of a pullout/throwout hybrid.

Yes, I meant the HANDLE. Sorry :S

I have a pullout and have had 2 floating puds. Like he says, they are not the end of the world.

The first one cost me a reserve ride because I was too much of a jackass to stay down on the ground for 5 minutes before jumping my brand new rig and drill what to do in the event I lost the pud. Wouldn't you know it. The second one cost me about 300' of altitude and that's it, because I knew what to do.

Still, I had some mods made to my rig to make that stuff less likely. Bulkier pud, not the skinny little stock Racer pud, and moved the pud pockets up higher on the container so the pin pulls with a shorter arm stroke (this was an issue for me as well because my arms were kind of short for my torso length. No I'm not a freak the rig is just kind of long on me. Anyway it's all good now.

Unless you're a skysurfer or your suit has wings I wouldn't imagine it matters too much which one you go with.

Joe