freakydiver

Let it roll of the back???

So here I am at my local DZ a few weeks back chillin like a villin right? There wasn't a whole lot goin on, so we're just messin around with some 8way stuff, you know, just havin fun. We're about to get on this load, but the pilot actually had to check something out, so we decide to do another run-through of the upcoming dive and this guy says - not realizing I'm standing right next to him listening to his conversation, "I don't know why on earth they dirt dive things time and time again because nice times out of ten it never goes right in the sky." I don't know why, but this irked me the wrong way. I have never criticised anyone for their choice of flight method, whether it be head-down, sit, rw, what the F*** ever, we are all skydivers and therefore we are all brothers and sisters, right????? It's a few weeks later and I'm still irked by that one guy's comments as I've seen more and more segregation at different DZs based on method of flight. Should I confront this guy and let him know that I don't think there is a place for negativity like that on a DZ? Should I just forget about it and move on?? Anyone else have any similar experiences???

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Every DZ has a designated jackass...I wouldnt worry about it. I usually dont. If you do have a serious problem with him, please...please...please, take it up with him in private. My biggest pet peave is people who cannot control their emotions in front of customers. It is extremely unprofessional and the sport doesnt need any whuffos or students leaving the DZ thinking that we are crazier than we already are. (I am assuming that if this guy is such a jackass, he would probably make some sort of big deal out of this in front of people that really have no business or interest, for that matter, in hearing the whole conversation).

Remember, we jump out of airplanes...lighten up!!!;) (directed to the jackass!)

Once I was dirt-diving a RW jump with some friends, and a hard-core freeflier walked by and we invited him along, and he said, "Oh, I can't, I have to go take a dump or something else equally more fun!"

Maybe it's all in the tone, but it made me laugh. :D

Skydiving is for cool people only

The attitude by some that it will "never go right in the sky" may be partially responsible for problems.

One's point of view and relationship with the other jumpers can go a long way towards making a dive go well, sometimes even with the seldom-recommended method of dirt diving on the ride to altitude.

As you jump with people, you may come to notice certain traits of jumpers/organizers and why dives are consistently better with some groups than with others. Let it roll off. If the person in question persists in the subject attitude or comments, it may be time to fly with someone else. It's your choice.

Also, how experienced is the jumper, and could there be a confidence problem? Remember, sometimes support and a good attitude is the best gift we can contribute for the well-feeling and improvement of others.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I sometimes say the same thing about my own 8 way jumps.B| And the freefly guys plans.;) You didn't really say it was a "freeflyer" but I always figured the reason freeflyers free flew was that no one could tell if they got it right or not.:P

Slap my mouth ... did I say that!B|B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I would just go ask him if he wants to do a 2 way with you. Use whatever discipline he does. If he's an RW flyer then do a 2 way RW dive. Figure out some smokin multi point 2 way and go throw down. If you require some brief coaching, let him give it too you.

There used to be even more segregation prior to Hybrid Dives. Now and then I like to go out and do some RW with the belly flyers. Not only is it fun but it helps clear the air if needs it.

People mock what they don't understand or cannot do. RW flyers Mock Freeflyers and Freeflyers say RW is boring. (boy could I expand on that one) People are not always negative or condescending by by choice. It just happens. Be kind and bridge the gap. You may be pleasantly surprised how small that gap really is.

Hope that helps

Edit: Spelling... again
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Once I was dirt-diving a RW jump with some friends, and a hard-core freeflier walked by and we invited him along, and he said, "Oh, I can't, I have to go take a dump or something else equally more fun!"

Maybe it's all in the tone, but it made me laugh.

And it should, that's funny stuff!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

We don't have this problem at our DZ as the freefliers in a headdown dock on some of our heavyweight bellyfliers. Makes for great video and brings in a whole different angle to a hybrid dive. The only problem I see is that I either need to strap on 50 lbs. of weight or eat a lot to be able to go 160mph in a belly to earth fashion.

Why can't we all just get along--this shit is to fun to sit around and bitch at each other or make fun of other disciplines.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I have to agree with hookitt. If for the simple reason for your own sake. Make a jump with him and your blood may settle. He may hold the same opionion as before but you may find it's hard to stay mad at someone you've just jumped with and thereby easing the tension you feel.

jmo

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

Let it roll off your back.
The guy was clearly being an ass.
If he wants to ruin his own skydives with his negativity, that is his problem.
Now the challenge is to not allow his negativity to ruin your skydives.

That being said, one of the biggest problems in my life has been knowing when to take people seriously and when to ignore them.

I never learned how to let things roll off my back.

Any advice on how to let things roll off your bacK?

ummm. I have a problem too.
I was out at the DZ the other week and this guy got in front of me in the manifest line. I still got on the load, and I think he just didn't see me there, but that's not the point. Should I let him have it? I mean he CUT IF FRONT OF ME!!!! Can you believe that??
these damn skydivers have some nerve.