skygod7777

why would you do this??

No worries, this is precisely the point of these forums...

Structural failure - I'd be better under a bigger reserve.

Not prone to dislocations, got the shoulder fixed and don't plan on messing up any more backflips on my snowboard to create the problem again. That's what originally started it all.

I check my hackey, on average, ten times on the way to altitude and I'd be willing to place a huge wager that most of the jumpers on the world record attempt weren't packing their own rigs. 99 percent of the time I pack my own rig, literally 99 percent of the time.

Premature deployment in an unfamiliar setting with powerlines everwhere and a lake everywhere else, thank god for the extra square footage.

Low aircraft emergency over unfamiliar ground with little to no outs - thank god I can really sink my reserve in.

Canopy collision and/or wrap - doesn't really matter what kind of reserve I have now does it? And I do actually think this will probably happen to me more than most other types of malfunctions because I see alot of people out there flying around not looking around.

My point was simply, why go smaller than the main? Why not get a smaller main?? Weighing my own odds, I still fully believe that either I'll get kicked in the face or wrapped up with someone under canopy way b4 I'll ever stuff my hackey so far into my BOC that I won't be able to find it. I'd rather have a larger reserve for when I'm knocked out and as for a canopy wrap, structural failure, death spiral, buried hackey on world record attempt, whats wrong with a slightly larger margin of error with a larger reserve??

Peace...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Is there anything wrong with a 150/150 combo?

I fly a Sabre 2 150 and I have a Micro Raven 150 in my Mirage G3. I feel that there is substantial difference in flight characteristics and that it is not dangerous. 7 cell to 9 cell, Semi Eliptical to not eliptical, F-111 to ZP, etc.

Now, an unconcious landing would suck, but it would suck on any reserve.

This does'nt apply, or make sense to me - but maybe these folks bought used gear, and sacrificed safety for a good deal ??

With my low jump numbers, I am looking for a used rig with both canopies sizes starting with a "2".:)

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

It looks like the only arguement "for" a smaller reserve is appearance/container sizing.

While I've never heard it expressed as a sort of achievement to jump a smallr container, I can see the "cool" factor.

All of us are vain. A pretty broad statement, but to different degrees and in different ways I don't think any of us can say "No way - not me."

I'll get straight to it - Loking cool is important to some of us. So long as we all realize the risks, and accept them as a calculated and educated decision - I'm okay with that.

I can't count the landing injuries I've treated, and a few more I've witnessed and someone else treated. I can only recall one (I personally winessed) that would've been influenced by a larger reserve. The jumper suffered a badly broken wrist. His injury would've been prevented altogether if he was jumping a properly constructed container (he was jumping a VooDoo with improperly constructed reserve risers). If he were unconscious the rather fast turn created by the container would have caused a very serious situation. A larger reserve might (and I stress might) have slowed his descent to a tolerable landing speed.

The landing in DeLand, recently, is one of a few I've heard of - but not seen first-hand - that many speculate about.

I have NEVER heard of, or heard of speculation, or someone proposed a realistic situation - where a smaller reserve would've reduced injury or saved a life.

Part of our freedom in this sport is the right to make these sorts of choices. Let's make them educated and well-thought-out.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I have a Tempo 150, which is smaller than the PD 7-Cell I'm flying as my main. It came with the container when i bought it second hand from a local rigger. It bothers the hell out of me, and as soon as i save another 200 dollars or so, i'll upgrade.

- sds
=========Shaun ==========

I have a 143 reserve and a 170 main. I'm comfortable with the idea of landing the 143 even in a bad situation but I prefer to have a bigger canopy over my head on the majority of my jumps.

When I put the rig together I was planning to downsize to a 150 main. If I were buying it today I'd go with a 160 reserve. Anything larger than that would make my container a bit too long for me to arch comfortably.

I have a 150 main and a 120 reserve. There were separate reasons for each purchase. I chose the 150 main because I was downsizing from 230 student gear and I didn't want to have a gigantic leap in wingloading. I only load the 150 at about .8 so according to a lot of even conservative people's recommendations, I could have gone smaller. The biggest reason for the 150 was availability. My friend was selling one, and the price was right.

As for the reserve, the dealer (my former rigger) that I bought it from recommended the size based on my weight. I load it at a little under 1.1. That's not an excessive number I don't think, but the idea of jumping it still scares me. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to land it without getting hurt, but it would be the smallest canopy I've ever jumped. If I could go back, knowing what I now know, I probably would have bought a slightly bigger reserve, but I don't think upsizing is necessary. Hopefully by the time I need it I'll be jumping a smaller main, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Dave

I have a 150 Stilleto main with a 143 reserve, and the 143 was comfortable to land when I needed it. My other rig with the Stilleto 135 has a 126 reserve which I have not used. I believe the PD126 is probably close to the actual size of the 135 main, but I must confess I don't have the numbers to confirm this.

No, I can't see any reason for a smaller reserve other than preferred container size. When I jumped a Saber 170, my reserve was a PD176.

Edited to add: when I have had to land a reserve, it was either in the landing area or on a large field, so I have not been tested under a reserve in a tight landing situation. Under my main, I sure have, including dirt road clearings and a ravine with little pine trees all over it. Set it down between 2 little firs (not fun, but no injury or damage).

FYI: Wing loading under the 135: 1.41:1.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

to all the folks who claim to be comfortable landing their smaller reserves in bad situations, have you actually been in really bad situations and landed them?

I've never used a reserve so I'd have to say no to that one.
I've got 300+ jumps on F111 7 cells. I know how to sink them in, I know how they fly, I know how they land, I'm a champion at PLF's. I'm far more comfortable with that 143 on my back than I ever was with that 20' Phantom I carried for 100 jumps or so...

My main and reserve are the same size, similar design, and in fact the exact same color pattern...
When doing a demo the wuffo's need never know! ;)
I never understood why your 'last' bullet should be anything less than your first!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm tall and thin and want to reduce both the width and yoke diameter of my container. I'm getting a new Wings EXT W8-2 which is designed specifically for taller jumpers who use small canopies. It has a much flatter and more narrow profile, whilst being slightly longer. This means that it avoides the problem of having the pull located halfway up your back. I also like to wear my rig fairly loose, so the smaller the better. This is as small as I need to go to achieve the results that I'm looking for.

Yup. Quite a few times. I've put a 113 down in nil winds, and a 143 into a very small clearing with no outs. The trick is to know how your reserves flies before you actually use it. I suggest PD's reserve demo program. I actually learned in the days of round canopies, and once you've put down a front mount unsteerable I24 and walked away, most everything is a step up from that in terms of controllability and landing.

Yup. Quite a few times. I've put a 113 down in nil winds, and a 143 into a very small clearing with no outs. The trick is to know how your reserves flies before you actually use it. I suggest PD's reserve demo program. I actually learned in the days of round canopies, and once you've put down a front mount unsteerable I24 and walked away, most everything is a step up from that in terms of controllability and landing.

Not many people have as much experience as you either. Not many people have even 1000 let alone 7 thou...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

ok, i wasn't too sure if i should post this in gear, or here, and i decided here would be better.

but, my question is, for those of you that have a smaller reserve than your main, i just want to know why??

i personally don't see any reason for it. it always made sense to me to have a larger reserve than you main, i mean it is you last chance.

so, for those who have this, why??

thanks

I guess I do have a rig or two where the main is the bigger of the two. One has a Raven IV main and Raven III reserve.

Another rig has matched 215 sq. ft. 7 cells - an Astrobe main and an Orion reserve.

Generally I have the biggest reserve I can get my hands on. My EXTreme FX 99 is paired with a Raven 2 (218 sq. ft.).

If I get kicked in the collarbone or otherwise have a hard time using both hands to flare, I want to be able to get as much nylon overhead as possible.

Then again, that's just me. I've been hurt and didn't like it.

Blue skies,

Winsor

[
Not many people have as much experience as you either. Not many people have even 1000 let alone 7 thou...

Well, it's true that I've spent a few hours in the air, but the planet doesn't care too much about that when it hits the fan. As I get older, and it takes me longer to heal from acts of stupidity, I actually get more conservative, not less, as the lessons stay with me longer. What I boil it down to is that you should take a long realistic look at your ability, training and general level of risk aversion, then make a gear selection based on the result. For me at 7000 jumps, I'd be confident in my 126/135 combo, but if I had 500, I'd not be using this particular setup. In fact, my first square reserve back then was a Raven I and a fine thing it was too. I even have the T Shirt to prove it ;)

Maybe its my like of time in the sport (less than a year) but I generally thought everybody jumped a reserve that was aprox. the same size as there main? I personally jump a sabre 150 with a PDR 143. But what is kind of startling to me is, it seems a lot of people have never jumped a reserve. At my DZ (Byron Love), at least once a year the owner of the Pro Shop (shameless plug to Gravity Gear) gets several PD reserves of various sizes and people hook them up as mains and jump them. I did this before I had the 143 (still the smallest canopy I have jumped). It definitly helped my confidence in knowing how the canopy flys as well as the flare characteristics. Is this an uncommon occurance to hook up a reserve as a main? If so I hope other DZ's start doin this, cause it definitly helps to know that you can fly your reserve.

I have a 150 main with a pd143R for reserve.

I have had to land it in a ravine surrounded by trees, a stream and a train bridge. (at 70 jumps)

I am very comfortable with my reserve...I dont have any intentions on downsizing it...unless I downsize myself first ;)

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto