skyboyblue

odd students?

Do you ever just have "one" of those students?

I'm teaching mini course at a community college for skydiving and one guy shows up. He's about 5'5" shoulder length brown curly hair, thick glasses and a good sized strap to hold em on. He walks in the door and anounces his name and I kindly ask him to have a seat and join the class. after a short session, we break and I BS a little with them. He's doesn't think he'll like freefall so static line is all he wants to do. OK fine, but you progress onto freefall. He asks how many local people we get. Um like 100% right? that's including some out of towners, but who's couting. well, he's got friends in loveland, CO that want to jump. um, there are dz's down there...why travel hours to do the same thing from a smaller plane? onto main canopy section. I unpack a rig to show components, he decides he needs to get up and feel the entire damn thing like one side is differnert than the other? AND he wants to take it home to "get the feel of it" More or less I said "got 5 G's?" I said unfortunately no (with visions of a naked man rolling around in this canopy) after class, I took the tv vcr back to the media room and he was giving a lady his phone number on a sticky note as I was coming toward him. She took it and whispered to me and showed it to me. I said "WHY?!" and rolled my eyes. well I guess I made a big mistake too, I gave the class my info so they could contact me....well, He did, just to say, he'd see me again tonite. gee thanks... OY, I can't wait for tonite. my sister (jillr) said it reminds her of the stapler guy on office space, and that's about right on the spot

any strange students like that out there?

I'm sorry that I read that entire post, I was looking for some redeemable quality to it but found none. Did you want to say anything productive at all, or just bitch that a weird dude is in your skydiving class?

**edit - after reading this again, it looks too strikingly similar to a personal attack, which was not how it was intended. I definitely wasn't trying to insult you for posting a funny story :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

it was a funny story, but it seems it would be more appropriate in the talkback forum, seeing as no actual information is being discussed. It would make it easier for beginners to search the forum archives in future days, months, years. Just my opinion though. :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

it seems it would be more appropriate in the talkback
forum, seeing as no actual information is being discussed.

It's related to skydiving, therefore this is "a" correct forum for it.

Whether or not the story is valuable depends on your outlook. These forums are not just for new or student jumpers. Someone just getting into instructing might find it very valuable - they may not have yet realized the wide variety of people who think they want to jump out of airplanes.

I thought about posting it to talkbalk, but I chose not to. shoot me for it if you must. I didn't intend to "bitch" about any student, although my intonation while typing can be subject to interpretation. damned if you damned, if you don't.

In a real life, I'm willing to bet instructors, and maybe even yours, talk about you or other students somewhere in order to prepare the next instructor who might take you up. Its a way of handing off students so the next instructor is -more- prepared for your personality, work ethic, abilities and talent to give you the best possible instruction and skydive. for instance, hey this guy has bad knees, so make him comofortable in the plane, etc etc) I thought it was funny, and its only half the story as there will be another chapter tonite, but I'll think twice before trying to make anyone giggle a little about it by posting here.

Please don't what Andy2 said to heart too seriously. Though it was a little sharp for my liking too. It was his/her opinion which they are entitled to. I on the other hand am curious about chapter II.

Thankyou for sharing.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Please share "chapter 2" of this student with us......those that don't want to read it, don't have to!
I'm looking forward to reading about the next class.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

As president of a college skydiving club, I gave a lot of presentations to prospective skydivers. I've definitely met some weird ones. I remember one guy that couldn't wait to jump. He came up after the presentation to ask a bunch of questions. Started off with the usual stuff, then started getting dumb. I was explaining to someone else what the cypres does, and this guy perked up when he heard how low it opens the reserve. He started asking how high he'd be opening on an AFF jump. Then he asked how many jumps he needs before he can go on his own so he can open lower. He wasn't interested in anything but opening as low as possible (ie in the hundreds of feet, not thousands). I told him that sounds fun till he's actually there, but then he'd want to open nice and high. His response was "I'm an aerospace engineer. I like going fast." I laughed and said "me too." Then I went and talked to someone else. Don't think that guy ever jumped. Oh well... didn't get to witness the cypres fire I was hoping to. :P

Dave

Not much to chapter two except I arrived early and he musta had his nosed pressed to the window, because as soon as I got in the door...albeit on the other side of the friggen building....he was right there... I gave him a what's up man? and he replied just ready to learn skydiving from my elders. which I am about half his age. alrighty then, lets do it. One highlight of the class was out of the blue. "So do you publicize when you get hurt?" (we were talking about soft landings at the time) my (jokingly)reply was "do you publicize that you break your ankle when you go skiing, biking or whatever?" He insisted twice there was bad press when somebody gets hurt. I questioned is it REAL TV that you are talking about? seriously, I did. I don't think he gave an answer, but I did see the rest of the class with their jaws open, giving a WTF look. what a character. Later he said he was really motivated to skydive that, to which I applauded, so to speak. what a character. worth a laugh or two.

"sounds like what he lacks in social skills he makes up for in intensity,"...."Is he an engineer, by chance? "

Harrumph, pout, sulk, no fair.....
Engineers need their kicks and their lovin' too ya know.
Sounds to me that this guy might have a promising career in the adventure equipment retail sector...:P

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

It's a numbers game. You get to teach people for free, sometimes for years, just hanging on for AFF, or just tossing the drouge and cruising. Then you get "one of them" They will do weird shit, and you'll invent weird shit to deal with that. And you'll be paid thousands for that one jump.

I can be quite harsh sometimes. Not everyone gets their drivers licence 1st time, not everyone graduates university, and not everyone passes my 1st jump course.

"Golf. Golf is for you. Go play golf."

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I may BE one of "those" students. [:/] I did something really stupid yesterday. It was my CTP #1. I cut away for no apparent reason...then I landed on the runway. Yep the jump cost me over $400!!! I know, I know. There's better ways to spend my money at the DZ. ;) I don't know what I was thinking, I thought there was something wrong with my canopy and I got tunnel vision and couldn't think of anything but cutting away. So I did. I did a really good job of it though :P, I pulled my reserve and thought something was wrong with it too. But...I just flew it anyway. Then I realized what a dumbass I was because there was nothing wrong with either of the PERFECT canopies. I am really hanging my head in shame. Not so much because of the cutaway, but because I landed on the friggin' runway. (BEER!) GRRR!! I am so stupid. Again...tunnel vision. Which, I now realize is what will kill me if I don't stop it. Half of my brain was saying just turn a little bit and get in the grass-the other half was lining my canopy up with the runway. Ahhhh...well I am ok and I landed safely. Which is what counts, I suppose. The most important thing I learned in this all, however, is to take a deep breath and calm down. Had I done this, I would have prevented the tunnel vision, and my jump would've went perfect. Oh well, gotta learn somehow I guess.:S

he's got friends in loveland, CO that want to jump. um, there are dz's down there...

Oh no:o I live in Loveland, Co. Tell him the travel time isn't worth it. ;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You know I have had those students that are just different from the norm... I love them. It is challenging to figure out what type of person you must be a how to present the information properly for things to "click" for different people. No one syllabus or one style of teaching can work for everybody. But yes I'll sit there with other JM's or good friends and discuss my weird student encounters over an icy cold brew at the end of the day...

Some people are wired differently... Thank goodnessB|B|

Sweet story! We were all newbs at one point or anotherB|

Well, what if you'd had a good reason to cutaway -- do you still have to pay for it all? And what about container damage? As you describe it, there was no crazy spinning, tumbling or anuthing, so what damage could be done?

One more q, about the freebags for the reserve: Are they really worth like $400-500? And if yes, why?