Tonto

Biggest flag jumped?

Aerordyne systems took 400 man hours to build this flag, which is 5200 sq ft.
The Canopy is the Aerodyne Gemini 389 Tandem main, piloted by Mark Horning. Photo by Vernon Kloppers.

Both operate Skydive Durban, in South Africa.

The dive took place 07/07/2003

t
It's the year of the Pig.

SA Flag pics 2.jpg

[QUOTE]Aerordyne systems took 400 man hours to build this flag, which is 5200 sq ft[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, thats a lot of man hours. I hope it was more than just one man. :S Is that a flag from south africa or something?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Flying a tandem with a flag 'passenger' makes sense (what does it weigh) but I have to wonder how much drag that flag would place againse the forward speed of the canopy

...and how does it help do the flare on landing?

:P

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

wow, nice flag!

Randy and Ralph at Brush, Colorado here in the USA also have made a gigantic USA flag that they flew at Rantoul last year. I'm not sure the dimensions, but it's up there with the one you posted. When they're not flying it, it cover the ceiling and then some of a fairly large hanger.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

jzflag.jpg

That flag is around 2000 sq ft.

Do a forum search for "Flags" and it's on one of those threads.

Building US flags requires considerably more design as you can't just hang a giant weight off it, due to your tradition that "Old Glory" never touch the ground. Usually shot is sewn into pockets along the bottom edge. Of course, this increases bulk.

Here in Africa we're a shade more practical.:S

t

>but I have to wonder how much drag that flag would place againse
> the forward speed of the canopy

A LOT. I jumped a 1000 sq ft flag with a tandem rig, and even at that size it significantly changed the glide angle of the main parachute, a Strong 520. It was much further "in front" of me than it is when I do a tandem with a passenger.

maybe thats a pretty stupid question but how do you get a flag of that size out of a plane? i'm really wondering cause the flags i jumped were pretty small, so i could stow the in my suit...
answers appreciated thx
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

It actually has a lot to do with how it's weighted and what the flag is made of. Drag of material...and angle of the flag caused by to little weight seem to change the canopy angle of attack.
An 800sqft. cotton flag improperly weighted can have more 'percevable' drag than a 2500sqft. nylon flag.

That 5200sqft. flag is beautiful!

I would be most interested in corresponding with those guys to see how the carry it, and pack it.
Any chance I can get an email address?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>and angle of the flag caused by to little weight seem to change the
>canopy angle of attack.

Yes, that was likely our problem. The flag had a lot of "bow" so we knew we needed more weight, but we had a problem with shock absorption when 30 lbs of lead hit the bottom of the rope.

A good friend of mine jumps a (approx) 2200 sq ft American flag (whoops, banner, sorry Billvon.) He does demo's in the area.

He designed and built a special deployment bag for the banner. He really put some time and thought into this.

When he first started, he was jumping it with a Manta 288 (I think) and he was getting pounded into the deck. Because the flag (banner, damn) is so large and he has 35 - 40 lbs of shot on the end, he had to flare at like 30 ft. He was taking a beating! I hooked him up with an older military style square (Paraflite MT-1X 378 sq ft) and he is doing much better now. Good glide and flight with nice soft touch down landings.

You should see this thing being packed! I've helped him pack it a few times, and it is quite a chore. Stretch it out, fold in half X 4, put the weight in, and S- fold it into the container system. It's a great system he designed, with safety first in mind! (Emergency cutaway handles, safety locks, B-12 connectors, the works!) I think he has about $4,000 in the system and is still perfecting it.

Check it out at (web address to follow):

www.proairshow.com

He's also been working with the Green Beret Sport Parachute Club lately. If you've seen one of their shows, you've probably seen his banner.

You need a bigger condo...;)

After some research, I find that 5200sq ft is a baby in the world of big flag jumps.

Hows 11 980 sq ft grab ya!

check it out at

http://www.extremeairads.com/record.html

t

We built the flag here at Aerodyne Systems in South Africa... [email protected]
The guy jumping it is Mark Horning (used to be out at Perris) but now operates Skydive Durban. You can contact Mark on [email protected]

Blue ones
Dave
AERODYNE SYSTEMS (PTY) Ltd
Dave Macrae - Sports Marketing: Indian Ocean Region
[email protected]
www.aerodyne-int.com

just to a spectator to a flag 11,000 sq ft flying would be incredible much less to control it. not that i'm even looking into something like that even in the near future. we'll leave that for you big boys.B|
You'll lose speed, but keep altitude. It will look like you have a choice, speed or height, but either way you're still gonna nose-dive into the ground.
-Chuck Palahniuk