kyros1

Emburiabrava

I was there in April and managed to land downwind in 20mph winds because they'd turned a complete 180 between us taking off and landing :S. So make sure you take a good look at the arrow before you land.

Have fun :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I will visit emburiabrava on early August. Is it something special that I should watch out?

Check out their website www.skyrats.com which has all sorts of info on getting there, where to stay etc.

It's a beautiful DZ with fantastic scenery and excellent facilities. The beach and town are only a couple of miles away and the night life is excellent. The only draw back is that it can get quite windy. Having said that, I was there in early August last year and had absolutely beautiful weather.

Vicki

Yeah,

I have already booked hotel and everything. A friend of mine just got back from there and he told me that he was grounded due to high winds (limitation of 500 jumps-I have more:P). Hope August will be more non windy period.

I was there in April and managed to land downwind in 20mph winds because they'd turned a complete 180 between us taking off and landing :S. So make sure you take a good look at the arrow before you land.

I'd second that. The DZ can get very windy and the winds can, and quite often do, change 180 in the middle of the day.

Vicki

If you're doing solo's, you're probably last out, which in Ampuria means...open higher if you don't want to land out.

Jumprun is long, and teams sometimes take ages in the door. So if you're out last. Before jumping, check how far out you are, so you can open at an altitude that gets you back..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

A friend of mine just got back from there and he told me that he was grounded due to high winds (limitation of 500 jumps-I have more:P). Hope August will be more non windy period.

Watch out for those jump limits! I am usually happy up to a 200 jump limit there. When it gets up to a 400+ jump limit, a lot of the staff and locals with lots of jumps stop jumping.

Vicki

I have a friend who landed in a field in Empuria a few years ago, didn't see a big concrete trench (or something similarly hard) and hurt himself quite badly, requiring reconstructive sugery to his face. I think he broke both wrists as well. It's worth being really careful if you're landing out and it's definately worth sacrificing a few seconds of freefall to have a long enough canopy ride to make it back.

Having said that it's a great place and I'm going back in August.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I read your entry in the Nimbin guestbook. ;)

Sommat like "Tra-bloody-montana".

Kyros check out my profile i have a webpage with photos of Empuria on it.

The winds are normally ok up to about just after midday and can get frisky till about 5 or 6pm but sometimes no wind or steady wind all day.

If you have any questions pm me.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

plan before you get off the ground for where you will land out BEFORE you have to make that decision in the air - Empuria has hazards on like 3 sides if i remember, so make sure you know where to go down before you have to think about it on the way down!

Other than that it's a great dz, and im going back out in late August! Have fun;)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

As of March 1st 2002, Skydive Empuria are introducing a form of Freefly licence called Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) It will be necessary for Freeflyers of all levels to have some form of licence if they want to jump with anybody other than an instructor. CBT has been set up according to the French B4 licence and it also has similarity to the British FF1 & FF2.

more infos can be found on the babylon page:
http://www.babylon-freefly.com/Safety.htm

I don't think it's a big deal really. 3 of us (ranging between 200 and 400 jumps) went out in April, showed the Babylon guys our FF1 (UK BPA freefly 'qualification') stickers and they gave us our CBTs.

I get the impression that they were obliged to introduce some kind of license after the fatal freefall collision there a while back.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Hi,
I will visit emburiabrava on early August. Is it something special that I should watch out?
Cheers,
Kyros

Compulsory CYPRES. Don't know if that'll affect you, but it's a major hassle when I go out there... Beautiful DZ though, and Barcelona is a top city to visit if/when the tremontana arrives!

Cielos azules,

Steph
-x-

This is a beautiful DZ. The only problem there is if the winds aloft are strong out of the north they can't jump because of the posibility of a load landing in Rosas Bay. They really watch this. I was there for a World Pops meet several years ago and I really liked the place. If the weather is bad you can drive into Figueros and see the Salvador Dali Museaum etc. as we did. The town of Empuriabrava and Rosas are really nice. Rosas has a nice beach. The towns close up during the noon thru 5pm time period for siesta. All in all the place is very nice. The hotels are located right next to the DZ and most of the things to do except the main part of town are within walking distance.

Have a great time there.

Chris