quade

Delta Airlines Travel Policy -- rigs as carry-on

Continental has a similer policy:

Parachutes/Parasails
Continental accepts sport parachutes and parasails in lieu of one piece of free baggage. A parachute or parasail taken onboard the aircraft must meet carry-on size restrictions for placement underneath an aircraft seat. When checked as baggage, all excess, oversize and overweight charges will apply.

Hey, just an FYI to everyone carrying rigs through airports.

YES, the airlines have their policies about letting you on and off of the aircraft during flights. However, believe me, in many cases these policies WILL NOT MATTER.

It truly depends on the airport you are flying through. The thing is that the airlines themselves do not contract airport security. The FAA and the Department of Transportation Inspector General does.

How do I know this? Well, on my way back from Jacksonville, FL, this past spring, the airline company (I think it was either United Airlines or US Air) did not have a problem letting me go past checkin with the container over my shoulders. They even checked the database and found that THEY HAD TO LET ME THROUGH.

After walking upstairs, I had a problem getting through security at the gate. The head security guard was quite adamant about NOT letting me past the security checkpoint. I remember him asking me, "Why would I need to carry my parachute on the airplane?" (all while he threw his right hip in my direction because it had the gun on it). LOL

After a short arguement about the physics of jumping from a plane from 30,000 feet at 400 knots - And explaining that the reason why I wanted to go on the plane with the parachute was that it costs more than I make in a month (ok, not quite)... I found myself walking back to the checkin desk, paying for a $20.00 box to secure it in, and paying an extra $50 in insurance.

The security guard manager dude did not care about the airline policy.

If you plan on using it as a carry, do your homework and call ahead to the airport. Print the policies in writing and bring them with you. Have them fax you the security policy at the airport.

If you plan on using it as a carry, do your homework and call ahead to the airport. Print the policies in writing and bring them with you. Have them fax you the security policy at the airport.

Which is EXACTLY why I'm trying to do some research on this.

Let's not just bitch and moan about it. Let's find out what airlines have current WRITTEN policies that allow them as carry-on and;

ONLY use those airlines.
Try to educate in a nice way when possible.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ONLY use those airlines.
Try to educate in a nice way when possible.

So far, only Delta and Continental EXPLICITLY name PARACHUTES, others (such as United Airlines, US Airways, Northwest) DO NOT say anything, just ALLOWED carry-on baggage or CERTAIN sport items.

Let's keep researching.

I'm not saying you specifically are, but that -we- as a group have a tendancy to.

As for airline v. airport -- if you have a problem with the security people, knowing the right person at the airline can help. At least, it has in the past.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That may not help the global population.

The only way to get something done about this is to appeal the FAA and ask for a written statement that allows rigs as carry-ons nationally. A statement regarding the Cypress may not hurt either.

The funny thing is that the security guard I came face-to-face with was not concerned about the Cypress being an explosive. He actually thought that I was going to jump. My next suggestion to him was going to be disconnecting my main. But I just thought, 'fuck it, this guy is a Lemming to begin with'.

The funny thing is that the security guard I came face-to-face with was not concerned about the Cypress being an explosive. He actually thought that I was going to jump.

Talk about a total wuffo!! It would be great if airports/airlines would educate their staff about parachutes. The one time i had a problem with security, some other guy came over to see what the problem was. Thankfully his son was a military jumper and thats how i ended up getting through. If not for him, who knows what would've happened.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

These airlines serve Orlando International, my -guess- is that a majority of the jumpers attending the Nationals in Lake Wales will fly into MCO.

Or Tampa (TPA)

Tampa is 66 miles and Orlando is 57 miles. Shop both for the best deal. It is nice to have a choice.

Southwest uses the same terminal at Tampa as Continental. Southwest, who was the airline who was instrumental in getting the Cypres approved has this written policy in their internal ops manual. (A gate agent can get this from their office computer)

Baggage-Parachutes-Parachutes equipped with the Cypres automatic activation device AAD are considered an unregulated item by the US DOT. Therefore parachutes equipped with the Cypres AAD can be accepted for transport either as carry on or checked baggage by our customers.

Chris

Don't settle for no from some of these TSA folks. Carry your support documents such as pictures of your Cypres and reserve pilot chute that you can take during your repack cycle. Carry your USPA documents with you and the letter concerning Cypres being approved by the DOT from the SSK website. carry the Cypres instruction manual (which states that Cypres is non-hazardous and non-explosive) and your logbook. Also print the post that Quade put in here ref. his e-mail from Ed Scott from USPA ref this whole issue. Stand your ground with the screeners with all this documentation and ask to speak to a supervisor or the TSA director for the airport. The director should know th policy refence parachutes and should have had his screeners briefed already. I did just that in Palm Springs last January and got through. I think Quade did an excellent job addressing this subject. Before TSA I flew Delta and also USAIR out of JAX with no problems. You really got a dummy who had the DB Cooper mentality. When I got a Supervisor at Palm Springs she said let the guy through they have plug doors on these planes and a parachute is useless to him and that Cypres is a non-hazardous item period.

Hope this helps.

Chris

hey, just thought i'd add something to the comment about the security guard thinking you were going to jump. I heard of a robbery(bank heist maybe?) where that actually happened, had the pilot take off, and jumped with a parachute with the jewels or money, or whatever it was(never found the guy but many think he didnt survive)....so i guess it HAS been tried before. ok, hehe, that was not the point of the thread but just thought i'd mention that.
Brian McCarthy

Most jets no longer have the back door and a side door exit would be......difficult.

Most jets do have a back door under the tail, but they have all been modified to make a D.B. Cooper exit nearly impossible.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Most jets do have a back door under the tail, but they have all been modified to make a D.B. Cooper exit nearly impossible.

_Am

I'll see if I can dig up the info, but passenger 727s are required to have a device onboard that disables the ability to lower the airstair in flight. Cargo 727s do not have this requirement.