Kerozene

Tips for making whuffos jump?

Hi gang,

I really need some tips to make some whuffos jump.

I showed them some videos (tandems and my aff filmed jump)

Tried attracting them by using a "critical mass" effect (almost everybody in the gang comes so the remaining ones won't want to miss the moment... They all cancelled afterwards).

Tried to explain to them how safe it is and that coming down with the chute is safer than coming down with the plane...

They all say its to costly (285$ Can here in Québec) but I think its b*ll sh*t... A dive can't be reasoned in an annual budget...

I need strategies to convince them... Anything, should I kidnapp them? :D

Pour la patrie

"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"

heheh :ph34r:

But I need real solutions...

Should I make it look hard (ex: "Skydiving is not for everyone", thus motivating them)

Or make it look easy...

"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"

Tips for making whuffos jump?

Sneak up on them and yell BOO!!!!

I really need some tips to make some whuffos jump.

Why???? I tried to get my best friend to jump when I had a few jumps....He never did...In fact I found it easier to get new best friends.

Tried to explain to them how safe it is and that coming down with the chute is safer than coming down with
the plane...

It is NOT SAFE! It never will be. And the plane ride is safer.

I need strategies to convince them... Anything, should I kidnapp them?

How about not forcing the issue? If they want to jump, great help them...But it seems they don't want to and probley never will want to.

I realize that you are all happy with the sport...but not everyone is...And frankly I don't want everyone to do it.

Some people should never jump.

Don't try to force the issue.

And never forget that IT IS NOT SAFE!!!!!!

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't bother to try. If they are not enthusiastic about making a skydive, then they shouldn't bother trying. It is not for half hearted. You have to really want to skydive. I would never try to force someone to skydive. It needs to be their voluntary decision to skydive. If something went wrong and they got hurt or died I would feel responsible. I don't want that on my conscience. Do you?

What I meant by safe is that the fatality rate is lower than scuba diving or other sports..

I know that my life is at risk, but flying an ultralight is riskier if the statistics are correct...

Don't bother to try. If they are not enthusiastic about making a skydive, then they shouldn't bother trying. It is not for half hearted. You have to really want to skydive. I would never try to force someone to skydive. It needs to be their voluntary decision to skydive. If something went wrong and they got hurt or died I would feel responsible. I don't want that on my conscience. Do you?

Don't worry I was not going to kidnap them for sure... But as for all of you, I was "convinced" by someone. You just don't wake up one day saying "hey let's go spend 250$ for a 50 sec freefall".

"You just don't wake up one day saying "hey let's go spend 250$ for a 50 sec freefall"."

I did.

Well somewhat like that. Drove by Chicagoland Skydiving back when it was Pheonix Skydiving and saw their sign and immediately went home and called them.

IF they want to give it a shot they will seek you out. All you need to do is make them aware that you are a resource for that type of activity.

If they dont weanna jump, nothing you do will change it.

Believe me, I was so poor I subsidized half my initial training by recruiting people to do tandems :-)
I got to know right away if someone was the "type"

Word of warning. Dont try to recruit in a bar.
You will get every guy in the joint claiming that they want to do it.
The next day its amazing how many things "come up" and stop them from doing it.

Do what I did with some of my Wuffo friends. Take them to the DZ and let them watch and talk to those at the DZ. My friends watched for a few hours and also watched me jump. After about an hour after they saw me jump 3 of them had signed up, got on the plane and jumped tandem style. I cannot speak for everyone because some are just completely against it but this worked for me and I am doing it again with 9 more people this weekend. Blue skies!

You just don't wake up one day saying "hey let's go spend 250$ for a 50 sec freefall".

I did..

You really should not bother....You are young in the sport. You think its the best thing in the world, and you want to share it with others....

Others don't care, they think you are nuts, and they wish you would stop pestering them about it.

Trust me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Others don't care, they think you are nuts, and they wish you would stop pestering them about it.

Trust me.

lol! Ron and I agree on something.. BEER!!

he's exactly right..a few of my coworkers jump, but you should see some of the others roll their eyes when we start talking about it..

lol! Ron and I agree on something.. BEER!!

Zen...Is it my fault you finally think correctly about a subject?B|

a few of my coworkers jump, but you should see some of the others roll their eyes when we
start talking about it..

Do you have any statistics on the number of people that don't roll their eyes when you bring it up Vs the number that do roll their eyes? What is the acceptable number of eye rolls?

Without this info I don't think we can make such broad accusations.

HE,HE

Ron

Yeah, all I talk about at work is skydiving, a LOT of skydiving. Then again, I work at a DZ, so that's a good thing.

As for "making" whuffos jump, well, think of it this way, if you highly pressure someone to go jump, they didn't really want to, and they get hurt, you just opened yourself up for a civil suit.:S
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

skydiving is dangerous, expensive and time consuming. I wouldn´t recommend it to anyone who doesn´t have a real interest in doing it.

since your friends know that you are skydiving, they are going to ask you if they are interested. Just let them know that if they want to skydive, you´ll be glad to give advise about where and how to sign up for a course. :) If someone seem to be really interested but not having enough money, buy your friend a tandem jump or lend him money for the course.

But I think it´s annoying when people try to make choices for me:S, maybe other people feel the same. Just because skydiving is good for you, doesn´t mean it´s a good choice for everyone else. And just because other don´t like skydiving, it might still be good for you. Show them that you are confident in your decision and give them the time to find out for themselves.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to lie about the safety issue, just to make people start skydiving. If they ask, I think the best way is to be honest and tell them in which ways it is dangerous and what you can do to make the risk as small as possible.

Do you have any statistics on the number of people that don't roll their eyes when you bring it up Vs the number that do roll their eyes? What is the acceptable number of eye rolls?

Without this info I don't think we can make such broad accusations.

well see we'd also need to divide it by male vs female listeners and how many of them were standing around talking to the hottie who jumps vs the two guys, and need to correlate the angle of eyerolling for the male participants to eliminate those who were just trying to stare down APs shirt ;)

I used to be the guy who would pester people to try and get out and make a jump.

But, after almost 5 years in the sport, and having seen some of the things I have, I no longer do that.

If people find out I skydive and have questions I answer them and direct them to my DZ's website if they're interested.

If they ask if it's safe, I tell them the truth, "You can do everything right and still die."
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™