dropdeded

Jumping In Street Clothes

Just like to hear the pro's and con's of jumping in street clothes. I'd like to jump(lowtimer), minus the jumpsuit, solo, but I know as with everything else involved with the sport, there are things I need to know from experienced skydivers BEFORE I make ANY decisions.

Thanks

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I've done a bunch of my jumps in street clothes. Here's some basic guidelines.

1. Make sure there are no weird loops or anything on your shorts or shirt big enough for a hackey to fit through, thus causing an impossible pull.

2. Make sure the shirt you wear is tucked in well, you might think about a belt to be sure, and be sure that there is not enough slack for the shirt to bunch up over your handles.

That's basically it. Just make sure that nothing's hanging out, and nothing touches your handles.

What Cashe said...

All sports have their "look." These go beyond fashion. Form follows function. There are reasons for wearing what we do. I've seen pockets invert (almost a certainty with track pants) and interfere with pulls etc. Make sure your desire doesn't get in the way of your life.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm a lowtimer myself. I've made my last three jumps in street clothes and I rather enjoy it. Like the others here have mentioned...I made sure my shirt was well tucked in. Also, I would be wary of jumping in shorts (bare skin shred easy). I have worn jeans each time I've jumped in street clothes.

I did take my "street theme" a bit too far today though. I decided to jump out of the Otter in street clothes with my sunglasses on (in lieu of goggles). I figured since I've ridden my motorcycle close to 100 with those sunglasses on that I might give it a try. This has worked for hop-n-pops out of the Cessna twice with no problems. Well, guess what...somewhere around 9000 feet...my right contact lens decided to freefly of its own accord. So now I'm trying to land with no depth perception (I was lucky to have even one good eye). I flared too early, and waited, and waited, and wai...SLAM...there it is (I did stand it up...but I'm VERY lucky I didn't injure myself badly).

On the Sky Kat shopping list for Sunday: "One pair of good goggles...suitable for contact lens wearers..."

I jump in street clothes all the time. I guess technically I use "street clothes" to do my tandems in, too (motocross pants + t-shirt).

Besides tandems, just about the only time I wear street clothes is on solo dives, on anything but that I have some serious fallrate issues with other folks.

What everyone else has said about safety with the clothes is spot on. Here's something else, though. Be VERY sure that all the stuff is out of your pockets. I don't care how secure you think your keys are, or how secure your wallet is or anything else. If there is a place you'll lose it, its in freefall. Just ask one of Aggieland's jumpers about his wallet about a month ago...it "exploded" out of his back pockets at about 7k. Ask SuperDave (if you're from Houston, you'll know him) about the keys he lost that got him fired when he was still in college...the list could go on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Be VERY sure that all the stuff is out of your pockets. I don't care how secure you think your keys are, or how secure your wallet is or anything else. If there is a place you'll lose it, its in freefall. Just ask one of Aggieland's jumpers about his wallet about a month ago...it "exploded" out of his back pockets at about 7k. Ask SuperDave (if you're from Houston, you'll know him) about the keys he lost that got him fired when he was still in college...the list could go on.

I once jumped with my usual street jeans on and had my purse in the back pocket. I only noticed it after the jump, it was still there, curiously, as the pocket was way loose. Lucky me; ID and credit cards...:P

A friend of mine lost his keys (which where hanging from his neck) at about 6-7 k.
You're really boned if that happens...[:/]
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Which also brings us to what to carry in your pockets underneath your jumpsuit. I leave wallet, keys & cash on the ground. I do carry my driver's license and medical insurance card in a pocket, just in case something happens.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

What everyone else has said about safety with the clothes is spot on. Here's something else, though. Be VERY sure that all the stuff is out of your pockets. I don't care how secure you think your keys are, or how secure your wallet is or anything else. If there is a place you'll lose it, its in freefall. Just ask one of Aggieland's jumpers about his wallet about a month ago...it "exploded" out of his back pockets at about 7k. Ask SuperDave (if you're from Houston, you'll know him) about the keys he lost that got him fired when he was still in college...the list could go on.

Also, if stuff does come out your pocket its a hazard for other skydivers or people on the ground. Ive seen a video of a hook knife fly past about 1 inch from a camera. :S

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

2. Make sure the shirt you wear is tucked in well, you might think about a belt to be sure, and be sure that there is not enough slack for the shirt to bunch up over your handles

------

some guys at Babylon use an elastic bandon their hip ring to secure their tshirt...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I think I will stick to a jumpsuit for awhile, I listened to another lowtimers experience in a t-shirt yesterday. It was blowing up real high on his chest and flappin around, that may interfere with my fun, you know, annoy me;). OR, it may interfere with my LIFE[:/]
I was kinda surprised to see him jump the rest of the day that way.

I personally dont need that distraction at this point.

Thanks for the comments all

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Just like to hear the pro's and con's of jumping in street clothes. I'd like to jump(lowtimer), minus the jumpsuit, solo, but I know as with everything else involved with the sport, there are things I need to know from experienced skydivers BEFORE I make ANY decisions.

Thanks

dropdeded

I've done a jump in 3-piece grey pinstripe business suit with tie.

Just make sure all loose parts are unable to flap over your handles, and have legstraps and cheststrap tight enough to prevent the pockets from inverting. I secured the tie to my shirt so it wouldn't flap around.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's also the unexpected that you need to be prepared for, like in this thread by our very own Sangiro.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=242477;search_string=pocket;#242477
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

Multiple people have requested wearing a belt. I agree that it's a good idea. But make sure to not have much excess belt loose beyond the buckle. I now have a packing rubber band on my belt to secure the excess after a jump about a year ago. The extra part was just the right length and somehow aerodynamically inclined to whip me in the jewels repeatedly and VERY HARD! B|:oB| We were supposed to be doing a 3-way but all the other guys knew was that I was grimacing and covering my nuts before I flipped over and spent the rest of the dive on my back. It's funny now, but it hurt for the rest of the day...

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

On hop n pops shorts and a T shirt is my favorite. With lots of altitude and no vertical speed to speak of, the dangers are far reduced.

What's been said about pockets inverting and shirts blowing up is entirely correct and predictable. I did a sit dive in bicycle shorts and a long sleeved sweatshirt (shirt tucked way down) and it STILL blew out. There was no problem except that there could have been a problem. Jumpsuits aren't just about the fashion statement ...

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Ever since I got off student status, i jumped in jogging pants and longsleeved t's...
then one day, my shirt wasnt long enough to really tuck in and my pants didnt tie...not only did it ruin the dive, and show my boobs iand butt in such a pleasant form, but it was very dangerous, thank God i didnt have to cut away...
Keep the clothes tight and tucked for a smooth flight!;)

I did a tube with my friend who jumped in jeans + t-shirt. At 12k He went to put his goggles on and they snapped in half (doh). Then after the tube broke up (about 10s later, not much to grip on jeans) he sunk fast away from me (hes 15st) and then got frozen cos the wind blew up his t-shirt and had to keep his eyes pretty closed. Also, during that dive cloud came over at 700ft during the minute we were in freefall (next to coast, you could see the ground on exit, not when I dumped) but luckily there was a hole over a couple on nearby buildings I recognised and directly over the cross.

Bit scary.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Was going out for a sitfly when an instructor asked me what I was going to do and upon hearing the answer asked:

'So, you using TRD's?'
'TRD's?'
'Yeah, T-shirt Retention Devices'

upon which he smiled and produced a couple of rubber bands. Put in belt loops on jeans, pull t-shirt through and then the t-shirt will stay in place :).

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I jump in jeans or bike shorts all the time . I always tuck my shirt into underwear and then wear a belt or have a cord on my shorts to keep things tight .It's scary how many times I've seen people not keep their shirts tucked in. I try to warn them about this but it's like talking to the wall . Be safe !