JustPlainChic

I think I've hit my plateau

:( I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I was moving along pretty quick and learning alot of stuff just a few months ago, but now it seems as if I bomb the simplest dives. I have around 77 jumps and I have heard this is common to some people. So if anyone has any advice, I wouold appreciate it greatly!

Laura "Belle"

'Blue Skies'

learning definitly comes in spurts. but also perception can make you feel your not improving, when actualy your expectations have risen subconsiously.
for me learning comes in revelations.all of a sudden something will click thats usualy has been there all along just waiting for you to realize it. then Blam!!!! it clicks.
its the time period between Clicks that feels like your not improving.
just remember sometimes improving is simply waiting till the next click.
peace

I found I was the same for a while, after about 40 jumps or so to about 150 jumps, i would do jumps where they wernt debreifed properly (or at all) and not well organised so I didnt learn squat. I finally did the 4 way team thing, got proper coaching and after that I though those 100 or so jumps early were basically a waste. I learnt shitloads in such a short time.

So the moral of the story is get coaching in whatever disipline you are doing...they may cost more in the shit term but its cheaper overall rather then wasting money on more jumps.

Relax.....

are you jumping with others at about your same skill level? if so, the problem may not be you at all...... get video and possibly coaching dives.....

even more importantly: dont get discouraged
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I think I've hit my plateau

I think I should point out that you've hit A plateau.... This sport has a long, slow learning curve (it may seam very steep at some point, but fact is, it takes a long time to get things right).

Dont discourage yourself though... You're at a point where many jumpers loose interest, kinda stuck in limbo between being a student and being able to do waht you want (which may be turn many points, or fall on your head with lots of people, or whatever you want). Dont loose that goal, and actively seek people to help you and have fun with!:)
Remster

Relax it happens...

I see many 50-200 jump people seem to stall out.

One reason is that you are just not learning as fast as you were. Its normal. The other is you have alread learned so mush you think you should be better.

We used to have this in martial arts..."Blue belt blues".

Same thing you have moments of brilliance followed by a really bad performance.

Its caused by:

You are not a newbie now and most people treat you like an up jumper.

So you are no longer being looked after as much, so you don't get feedback on every jump anymore.

You are jumping with different people and they sometimes screw up, but you don't know enough yet to know its them screwing up not you...they might not know either.

Sometimes you are on a load with people much more experienced...Being next to a really good jumper can make you feel stupid.

You are trying harder things than before...Bigger formations harder points more points.

It will start to even out.

you can:
Get coaching.
Jump smaller groups.
Get a team.
Do some tunnel.
ASK FOR FEEDBACK from the most experienced person on that jump. Many times I will not give feedback unless you screwed up, unless asked....Some people don't want it. I tell people that if I don't point you out it means you did well. That the great moves will be talked about, and the bad ones will be laughed at.

Relax it happens and things will come together.

ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You also have to realize that you are only learning in one minute increments.Can you really think of any other sports where the actual practice time is so short? I think you are being a little hard on yourself. Relax and enjoy yourself!
--------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Most importantly, don't get frustrated and never think that you know enough. There will be a lot of jumps when you feel like you learn a whole bunch and a lot of new plateaus as well. The key thing is to find / be around people who can always offer something new for you. Try to use every chance to jump with good skydivers and never save money on coaching and video. Having a good skydiver next to you in freefall and having yourself videotaped helps to move from plateau and hit the next level like nothing else. B|