vonSanta

What things have landed (crashed) near you?

So there I was, packing my canopy. Think it was my 7th pack job or something like that.

Can hear some noise and am told it's people in free fall. I look up to see 'em deploy, then go back to continue packing.

"Umm, what's that Adidas shoe doing on my canopy?"

Wouldda been hit by it if I didn't take a wee break to look at the ones above, heh.

Anyone else got some 'landing' stories?

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

After an uneventful two way....landed and was gathering my canopy when.....plunk.....hit in the head by a pair of goggles......

Talk about some good spotting!

Also, lost a shoe on a 12-way one time....was on final approach...landed and turned to view the incoming jumpers......one of the other guys starts yelling at me, but I can't hear him.....

"Hey Adam, is this your shoe...?" Turns out it landed about 20 feet from him and 10 m from the wind sock. Life would have sucked walking on one shoe for the rest of the boogie.

a freebag with extractor... Low cutaway ???
a student under her stalled parachute ... less funny... hurt her elbow, helicoter brought her to hospital, but she went home the same day. Big kiss and great vibes to her
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

One time after exiting a Cessna 182 at 11,500, my goggles blew off. No big deal. When I landed I walked by one of our pinic tables, and there were my goggles, sitting right on top. Some people saw them land there, but thought that some one tosed them there from the other side of manifest as a joke.
Pretty good spot!

Lance

Oh yeah, one more. About 6 months or so ago, I was doing an AFF level 1. At about 7,000 I saw the girls shoe fly off. After she pulled at 5,500, I turned, tracked, and opened, only to see her shoe fly by my canopy, and fall in a small pond, landing about 3 feet from two guys fishing in a small boat. The shoe made a huge splash. I bet they had to be wondering what the heck is going on.

This one didn't land near me but it was pretty funny.

I had a cutaway on a tandem jump and the other TMs on the load watched where my main went so we had a good idea of where to look. Driving slowly along the street we spotted the main draped over a cable that went from a pole to the corner of a house. It looked like it had landed on the roof and slid down to rest on the cable. On the roof about 10 feet away was a guy doing repairs. His eyes were huge and his face was a bit pale. We told him it was our canopy and asked if we could borrow his ladder to retrieve it. He just nodded slowly and never said a word.

I wonder what he thought when it landed :S:D:D
My candle burns at both ends It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light.
http://www.galaxygear.com.au/

During the recent big ways at Perris I was center diver in an Otter in the base of a 30 way and as I left someone stepped on the edge of my right shoe and it peeled off.>:(
During the dive my 'new' googles started floating (I hadn't tightened them enough:$).

We came close to completing and I landed on 1 foot and hobbled back in dropped my gear and was going to dig out the pair of CRW shoes I keep in the trunk when the loader of the Otter walked up with my shoe. :o
It stayed in the door as close to 20 people stampeded over it and the pilot dove for the ground and was sitting there waiting.

Everything got better fomr then on ;)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Does a coconut falling in my buddy's plate count?:P
I was having dinner with a buddy in Thailand when suddenly his plate was vaporised by a coconut fallen from a palm tree. I still wonder why he lost his appetite that eve :ph34r: Never saw him having such a nervous laugh :P

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Does a coconut falling in my buddy's plate count?:P
I was having dinner with a buddy in Thailand when suddenly his plate was vaporised by a coconut fallen from a palm tree. I still wonder why he lost his appetite that eve :ph34r: Never saw him having such a nervous laugh :P

:D:D:D:D:D

Yves.

a mate of mine was a green keeper at a golf course that was right next to a DZ
and 1 day i was around his house and in the shed was a helmet on the wall and i said "wahst that "
and he said "thats a skydiving helmet that landed in front of me 1 day at work on the 18th hole " lol
lucky it didnt hit him

a mate of mine was a green keeper at a golf course that was right next to a DZ
and 1 day i was around his house and in the shed was a helmet on the wall and i said "wahst that "
and he said "thats a skydiving helmet that landed in front of me 1 day at work on the 18th hole " lol
lucky it didnt hit him

It would have been nice, if he'd returned the helmet to the DZ, since he knew that this was a skydiving helmet.[:/]

Yves.

I'm not sure who this was, but somebody once dropped a spaceball (won't say where) and it landed just a few feet from some old lady in her garden. (weird cuz this was in the middle of nowhere) Needless to say, NO MORE SPACEBALLS AT THAT DZ!!! B|

For anal people, no she was not injured, other than being freaked out by a 155 mph tennis ball nearly hitting her.......... ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Geesh wrongway!

I play tennis. My bro does too and we play double together He serves as a mule kicks and if he thinks I've f@cked up a point, he has no qualms about hitting me on the neck. It HURTS.

Now a leaded down spaceball at 155, straight to the skull...

I've wondered what kind of safety rules there are about the spaceball game. Fill me in?

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Well, it's simple if you use common sense and be safe about it. Newbies should NOT BE ON THE DIVE, no exceptions. Spot it over a nice big open field, go out, have fun, grab the spaceball at a nice high place, like 6 grand. Most important thing, DONT DROP IT. :S

In this case, I have no idea who it was that did this, I've just heard a lot of stories, and I hear her husband was pissed, and rightfully so. Spaceballs are dangerous as hell, especially when they strike that close to home. If I can get my vladiball weighted properly (and get the damn thing to fly stable), I'm gonna stick with it, just in case, so I don't make other people's mistakes. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Was packing outside on a packing mat and heard the jump plane (182) in it's typical screaming dive back to earth to get the next load decent. Really didn't pay that much attention to it until an object suddenly stuck in the grass about 30 feet from where I was. Turned out to be the oil dipstick access door that ripped off the jump plane while decending and hurtled to the ground like a ninja's throwing star:o:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

One shoe (from one of the skydivers that was on the load and cutway - like 30 feet)

One plastic circle (girls use to play turning it with their waist - I don´t know the name in english). We were using it to pass inside the circle while in freefall - it was a contest - the two-way who pass more times throw the circle won the contest. And one of the guys didn´t grab it when he pulled.

Not skydiving related - but I was at a high power rocket launch about 5 years ago when one of the rockets blew a nozzle at an altitude of around 500'. flipped over, and came down *really fast*. It impaled itself about 18" into the ground about 2 feet from where I was standing, burning all the while. It weighed around 4 pounds

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not skydiving related - but I was at a high power rocket launch about 5 years ago when one of the rockets blew a nozzle at an altitude of around 500'. flipped over, and came down *really fast*. It impaled itself about 18" into the ground about 2 feet from where I was standing, burning all the while. It weighed around 4 pounds

:o
You've been lucky, to say the least!

Yves.