mirage62

What happen to Packing Cathy @ z-hills?

Hey is it true that Packing Cathy is gone from z-hills? I've got to say that I used her or her packers for years and was really happy with them.

She was one of the reasons I went to z-hills, I felt that my pack job was being looked after and that she gave a crap.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I was told by someone that the packing tent was torn down, "that it was an ugly situation" we didn't get to finish the conversation so I don't know if someone tore down the tent, or what.

I don't think having another kid would have stop her, but in any event I hope things work out for her. Once years ago I jumped for several days, then a rain shower came up as I was putting my stuff in the car and I drove off without paying. A couple hundred miles later I realized what I did. When I called she laughed, and told me to mail her the money. Now she knew me, but she didn't HAVE to be a nice as she was.

When she was at WFFC she was packing everyday, and continued with her daily jog every morning. Heck, she even made the early bird load most mornings.
Hope everything is okay.
Keep us posted.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I heard a rumor that some one else steped in and took over the packing concession while she was out on the summer boogie circuit. Overall I heard it was an ugly situation that the people really did'nt want to ask about the situation.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I realize we are hearing one side of the story but I've never heard a cross word about Cathy.

Business is business and the owners of z-hills have a right (I guess) to terminate the realationship but when she settles in a Fla dz, I'll be there

First off, I'm not an American jumper so i don't know how 'things work' over there, but having read Cathy's side of the story, can someone explain to me how can a DZ kick someone out because of an opinion stated about a rig ??? What exactly is the DZO, it's function and it's 'Jurisdiction ' ? Is the local DZO associated in some way with the rig manufacturer ? Like I said, please excuse my ignorance of the 'operating procedures' in the States.
"Africa is not for sissies"

Sympathy ..
If complaining about gear choices can get you iifred, then I would have been fired dozens of times. Like every time I grumbled while working for Square One or Rigging Innovations, etc.
For example, one time I refused to touch a rig at Rigging Innovations because the reserve canopy was two sizes larger than recommended. Sandy still expected me to report to work the next morning.
Clearly the DZ politics are deeper in Z-Hills.

Wings (Sunrise Rigging) is based in Zypherhills and probally has a close relationship with the DZ. The DZO (Dropzone Owner) can usually do anything they want and usually don't have to justify anything.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

First off, I'm not an American jumper so i don't know how 'things work' over there, but having read Cathy's side of the story, can someone explain to me how can a DZ kick someone out because of an opinion stated about a rig ??? What exactly is the DZO, it's function and it's 'Jurisdiction ' ? Is the local DZO associated in some way with the rig manufacturer ? Like I said, please excuse my ignorance of the 'operating procedures' in the States.

Well, as the previous manager of Skydive City - Z Hills, and a dealer for the Wings container, I can shed some light on this. Firstly, let me state that Cathy was apparently commenting on a bad sale decision, and not on the construction, safety, or reliablity of the Wings system. She felt that someone had been misinformed about what canopies could be reasonably and safely expected to fit in a certain sized container. At no point did the Wings company themselves get involved in that discussion, as it really had nothing to do with the rig itself.

Joannie Murhphy of Sunshine Factory is a part owner of the DZ, and it may be worth asking if the rig in question was supplied by her compnay with the larger canopy installed. If that is the case, then Cathy's comments may have been construed by her as an attack on the standards of customer care from her business, and provoked her to demand Cathy's removal. I can't attest to that though, but I do know from my time as manager there, that if a DZO tells you to throw someone off their property, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I wish her well though in her future travels, and I'm sure we'll see her back there one day.

Wings (Sunrise Rigging) is based in Zypherhills and probally has a close relationship with the DZ. The DZO (Dropzone Owner) can usually do anything they want and usually don't have to justify anything.

As I said in another post on this thread, this matter had nothing to do with Sunrise Rigging. Both Sunrise and Sunpath provide rigs to Skydive City.

The request for Cathy's termination appeared to come from Sunhine Factory, the gear retailer on the drop zone, whose owner is also a part owner of the drop zone. You would have to ask Cathy about that though.

It's an important distinction.

regardless of the current situation with Cathy ( whom we all know and love) things are still on the up and up at Z-Hills. There is a fantastic packing concession at the DZ who will be glad to care of your packing needs during your stay.
Blue skies,
Randy
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

regardless of the current situation...

This is a "cat-fight" with tabloid excitement!

Uhhhh...you've gotta' be kidding!!!???!!! This is about an established Z-Hills' packer, hard working pregnant mother of four children trying to make a living. She was booted from a dz because she expressed an opinion...dz owners "reacted" instead of working and discussing the issue like adults.

Sounds pretty heartless on behalf of dz owners.

g

Normally there are at least two sides to each story - seems like we have only heard one side here so far.

Z Hills is a great place to visit - and since I pack my own main I will definitely continue to enjoy visiting the great people down there - even if I don't visit very often :)
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Normally there are at least two sides to each story - seems like we have only heard one side here so far....

Based on what Cathy has publicly posted on her website...I base my opinion and comments on those facts. I believe Cathy to be an honest, hardworking, and intelligent person/parent. I deal with many conflict resolution matters and find it hard to believe that there was no amicable solution.

I'm sure there are many wonderful people who visit and frequent ZHills...and if it was "their" choice...Cathy would still be there.

g