bskyz

Wings Question

So I decided that I'm going to splurge on a shiny new wings, and i was wondering what people think of the cordura BOC pocket with a FF handle?

It sounds like a good idea, but does it stay tight, and how easy is it to get the PC in (and more importantly out!)?

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

im thinking about converting to pull out. Ever since I started freeflying and working with various coaches, I've realized they all use pull out for a damn good reason. Probably a lot safer on the plane ride up too. You probably already thought about this though...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have a wings with the cordura pouch and FF handle.

Here are my observations:

1. I had to change how i packed my PC because on testing (on the ground) I managed to be able not to pull it out, even with two feet on the rig!! Now I pack it very flat and have had no problems at all.

2. Sitting on the floor of the 182 and moving around made the handle come out of position. Once i knew about it prior to exit and the other I didn't. However come pull time it was in the same place and as easy to get hold of as my "normal" toggle.

3. The cordura pouch has not lost its shape or elasticity in over 200 jumps.

4. Dont get a light coloured pouch as it is more difficult to clean than spandex.

All in all I am very happy with the options I chose and would do the same again without hesitation.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

odd - I don't know many FF'ers with pull out, but I think it's probably a 80/20 split (I'm pretty sure there are more throw outs than pull outs). I know Dave Brown jumps throw out and I believe Alchemy do too.

Probably a lot safer on the plane ride up too

I dont think so - both pins can be knocked out with plane movement, although a pull out at least you don't have to worry about the pc still being in the spandex while the main deploys :)
I think if you keep your gear maintained either is a good solution. What makes you want to switch?

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I do know of someone who got the FF handle and then proceeded to get a hackey (or monkey fist). But this individual doesn't have that many jumps and has a hard pull reserve ride in their jump history which may or may not effect their opinion towards the FF handle. But for me, I've never had issues with finding and pulling my FF handle.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Oops, I wasn't very clear in my last post.

I'm not worried about the FF handle, I was just concerned about the Cordura BOC pocket, and how people felt about those...

Since it doesn't stretch, I assume they are bigger than the spandex, and I was worried about the p/c coming out prematurely.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

I have a friend who got the pull-out option on his Wings (delivered to him last Easter) and he had a number of hard-enough-pulls for him to use his reserve. I know that they had another look at the positioning of the pud and stuff but he was still not 100% happy with it. Don't know the current situation of either the rig in question or Wings with pull-outs delivered later.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

NOTE: I am NOT a rigger, so take my comments as opinion.

I'm not worried about the FF handle, I was just concerned about the Cordura BOC pocket, and how people felt about those...

Rock solid! I pack my PC in a variation of the Brian Germain method and have had zero problems with pulling it in my 500+ jumps on my Wings.

As for concerns of it being too loose and the PC coming out? If you saw one in person, you would know that it is a very very very slim chance indeed. IMHO, its better then a lot of the spandex pouches I've seen out there.

With the FF handle too, the mouth of the BOC is also protected, the handle is rock solid as well, it is easy to pull, but try tugging on it otherwise. I can pick my rig up with the handle. I wouldn't have it any other way. I sure as shit wouldn't go to a pull-out, but that's a whole 'nother thread all together now and once again, that's a whole lot of personal opinion.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, i just got that very same setup.
My rigger told me to watch out that i don't pack the PC too bulky (which i don't do anyways), and although the container fits really tight and puts a bit of pressure on the BOC (depends on my packing, that is), it's always coming out nicely.
With the handle properly in place and the PC properly stowed, there's no plroblem.
The BOC itself doesn't stretch, but there's still a rubber band at the opening keeping it shut.

I'm very happy with the setup because of the lower profile of the pud, it makes a smooth transition from the BOC to the side of the rig and IMHO isn't as likely to snag somewhere.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

That's exactly what I wanted to here, in theory it sounds like a really good idea (but so do a lot of things ;)), and I didn't think they'd put something out that wasn't rock solid... but I wanted to hear some opinions from people that have been jumping it for a while.

Thanks all, that was the last decision I had to make (well, other than where I'm getting the cash from :S) She'll get ordered up tomorrow, and hopefully be here for my little winter break...

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

I think some people on here are confusing the FF handle with a pull out. Its not. They look the same but the FF handle is just a pud handle on an ordinary through out. I guess you already know that though if your looking into a wings.

You'll not be dissapointed whatever you order. I went with spandex and the FF handle. This was based soley on asthetics. I am happy with spandex as so long as you pack your PC right its builit proof. Same goes for cordura from what I hear. The only bad reviews I've heard are from people who dont pack their pc right, and they're asking for trouble whatever system they use.

The FF handle is an extremely good design and much safer than an ordinary hacky or monkeys fist. Its very low profile, protects the mouth of the BOC and cannot oscilate in the wind.

I have the freefly handle and the spandex pouch on both of the wings that I have owned. they both have been very good to me. one problem I have had is that sometimes the handle comes out. I have thought about switching over to a hackey or small monkeys fist...but probably will just stay with what I have. the spandex is looking great on my rig. I have no complaints with my choice. I have had a few people complain about there cordura pouches and the size of there pilot chutes...they switched to a smaller PC and now it is rock solid for them...

peace,

marc

I got the cordura and the FF handle. Like the cordura but I am not still sure about the FF handle. The main container is so tight that I cannot tuck it in when it's closed. So I have to tuck the PC and handle in place before I close the lids. Hopefully it will stretch...
Memento Audere Semper

I think the freefly handle works very well. I am not a fan of the cordura pouch. I pesonaly do not recomend them to my coustemers. I realy don't think is is unsafe I just think the spandex is a better salution. with ninumum draw back.

"Hopefully it will stretch... "

no your rig is not going to stretch. I would take a look at the way you are packing your rig in order to get it to close so that you don't need to put the handle in first.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.