Hazarrd

Who farted in the airplane?

Your are partly right. The balloons do have a vent tube controlled by the pilot inside the gondola. He does vent the over pressure and controls his altitude through that venting, but the excess helium does NOT come into the gondola, it is vented "near" the gondola but actually goes off, usually downwind ( in the direction of flight)

The helium pressure would be intense, and it would be counterproductive to vent it into the pilot

(He'd likely have such a high pitched voice when he talked they would never understand a word he says.

That happens in deep sea diving, where helium is intentionally fed into a diving helmet, and the only way they can understand the diver is to feed his voice through a recorder device, and slow it down to where he sounds normal.

I have not flown ( although not for want of trying) a helium balloon, but am familiar with much of their apparatus. I do have 1000+ hrs hot air balloon , and readily admit, they are two different cats.

Bill ColeB|

There is really nothing one can do about farting....the gas expands and has to go somewhere.

Of course, one can always go without eating on the jump days !!!! lol

Dude, I caught one of the instructors at our DZ at his game: he would rip his and immediately start waving his hands in front of his face exclaiming "AWWW GUYS! Come on NOW!" I started letting people in on it, and we finally caught him at it. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Your are partly right. The balloons do have a vent tube controlled by the pilot inside the gondola. He does vent the over pressure and controls his altitude through that venting, but the excess helium does NOT come into the gondola, it is vented "near" the gondola but actually goes off, usually downwind ( in the direction of flight)

The balloon moves with the airmass, there is no "downwind" for the balloon. The appendices (vents) on a large Rozier are open, no pilot action is required to vent. There is a dump valve at the top of the He envelope used for emergency descents and landing.
I was ground-crew for Kevin Uliassi's round-the-world attempts (he made it to Myanmar and set 2 world records).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Who is the one person that is always on EVERY load? The pilot. It's the pilot! It's always the pilot! Ever see 'em sitting up there eating Taco Bell? Notice the plane stinks on the next 10 loads like Taco Bell farts? It's always the pilot! >

Mike

I usually let it out quietly, then with an alarmed look shout "I can smell burning!!!" everyone then starts having a good sniff, makes sure they all get a dose :D:D

russ

(I should hasten to add I've yet to try this in the plane...can just imagine the pilots reaction >:( lol)

My understanding is that although the helium is dumped auto by a regulated pressure, the pilot can also release it, but I suppose that would be your reference to the dump valve that is used for emergency decents etc.

I know there is no "downwind" in a balloon, we used to put a kleenex on the edge of the basket and it would never "blow off", it would rise with the basket and the wind, but I was referring to the downwind direction.

It takes less wind to disperse the helium coming out of the vents, than it does to push the Gondola and balloon along.

Juanesky E Mailed me on Monday, and asked if I would come in the Spring instead. I am awaiting his decision as to whether its November or the Spring. It doesnt matter to me when, but if there is a change, I'll send youa PM through DZ.com.

Hope the proposed change doesnt inconvenience you .

:D

No I was in the hypobaric chamber to that simulated altitude. The highest I jumped was 36,916 feet, 2 minutes and 29 seconds of freefall. Ive also done 32,500; 32000;31,500; and 30571 at night over Canada's largest commercial airport. They held a 747 off until I and another got down.

Also numerous jumps between 20 and 30 K

For the most part, HALO jumps are a long boring fall.

Juanesky E Mailed me on Monday, and asked if I would come in the Spring instead. I am awaiting his decision as to whether its November or the Spring. It doesnt matter to me when, but if there is a change, I'll send youa PM through DZ.com.

Hope the proposed change doesnt inconvenience you .

:D

spring would probably be better anyways. its too damn cold up here right now, fewer jumpers going to the dz each day. keep in touch bill.

.-.