cornishe

Jump from a low wing?

I've jumped from, and piloted, a Grumman Tiger for jumping. The Tiger is a low-wing, with a sliding canopy. When flying that one, I'd get extra altitude, put the flaps down to make a few extra inches of room, totally cut the throttle, open the canopy, hold the airspeed I wanted (70 kts) by putting the nose down. By totally retarding the throttle, no propblast, but losing altitude pretty quickly.

I wouldn't fly one of these for a skydive, without wearing a rig. I wouldn't let someone with less than a couple of hundred jumps, preferably from a variety of aircraft including small Cessnas, jump from a low-wing like this.

Some real pilot, maybe diverdriver, could probably give better advice.

Is the tail an issue (on the Grumman Tiger)? Or do you fall away between the wing and the tail all graceful-like?

Not a problem, but part of the reason to have experienced jumpers. I would hold onto the bow of the windscreen, facing the tail, left foot on the wing, right foot still inside, dive at the trailing edge of the wing, and be sure to keep my legs straight until clear of the tail.

Make sure the pilot understands you'll be destroying a lot of lift and adding drag to the right side.

Yeah, I got quite an ass-chewin from the pilot of the Cherokee 140. Opening the door and rolling off the wing apparently makes the airplane do some kewl aerobatics. :)

Interesting. Not supposed to open the canopy all the way in flight.... not nearly enough to get out, especially with a rig on. I'm guessing at 70 kts it's no big deal (can open it part way to 113 kts I think), but I bet they restrict it for a good reason too. Not something I'd try. Then again, I wouldn't try anything that could cause damage to the plane (other than my landings :)
Dave

I have a bunch of sundowner jumps...

I'm lookin' around here for a great plane to plane pic of me sitting with my legs over the leading edge...cigar in hand!
(yes the prop is rather close!)

Be aware that on some models...
There is an outside lock that latches somehow from the wind of the forward speed...
A quick flip with the long blade on a swiss army knife...about the 11:00 position on the door will allow it to open "in flight"
BTDT! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Is there a safe way to jump from a Sundowner 180? Maybe the baggage door behind the wing? Blue Ones!

If you're only at 42 jumps, forget about it for a couple hundred more. Then you will have enough control and hopefully understanding about what happens after exit, and what can happen if you exit that aircraft incorrectly. Not trying to be a prick, but I wouldn't let you jump out of it if I were flying. Also, if you're planning on doing this with a low time pilot, you're both in even more serious danger.

Mike

Mooney shmooney. You've gotta deal with those wheels that dont stay in place and a propeller that twists all around.... what a piece of junk. Plus that big, gas guzzling engine. And some idiot put the tail on backwards. Naaah, Grummans are the way to go! Durn things are glued together. What could be better?? :P

Out of curiosity, what do you figure your hourly operating cost to be?

Our mooney's cost 50% more to rent, plus the added fuel consumption, and only do about 25 kts faster than a Tiger.

Dave

I have made several jumps out of several different types of low wing aircraft. Seminole, Duchess, and an Arrow. I have jumped out of EVERY door on each of these aircraft. Of Course Piper only has 2 doors (right side and baggage). I am a reasonably experienced jumper and pilot and had a very experienced pilot. The right configuration must be meet and the pilot and the jumper must be very smooth (espesially on the twins) or you could easily stall the aircraft (possible spin) or damage the aircraft. Specific set ups I will not go into here. Your not ready. Sorry. Stick with the DZ planes for now.

I you really, really want to jump from a low-winged airplane, borrow a Cherokee 6. Remove both doors on the left side. If you plan on jumping it on a regular basis, do the Portugese mod: install a plywood floor level with the door sill. I think the newer ones are called Saratoga.
Several jump clubs and at least one commercial skydiving center in New Zealand have operated Cherokee Sixes for years. Heck, I even have a couple of jumps from a Cherokee Six.

If you're only at 42 jumps, forget about it for a couple hundred more. Then you will have enough control and hopefully understanding about what happens after exit, and what can happen if you exit that aircraft incorrectly. Not trying to be a prick, but I wouldn't let you jump out of it if I were flying. Also, if you're planning on doing this with a low time pilot, you're both in even more serious danger.

Mike

Just out of curiousity, I have a few questions:

1. Is 150-ish jumps the point where magic yoda physics knowledge happens, and you can slow down the matrix and predict exactly how the jump will occur? It seems to me that a jumper willing to push the envelope a bit is already confident in his skills and the potential outcome, and I don't think good jumpers become great ones by doing the same thing over and over again.

2. Did you really say, in a skydiving forum, that this might be dangerous? OH NOS!

Sorry, I read that like you were being a prick, despite your efforts.

Cheers,

- Tso

The concerns were expected. My question was answered though and I thank everyone for the posts. I'll post a picture when we get around to jumping the new toy.

Oh and an applaude to Schmookeeg for that last post. ;-)

Blue ones,

Abbie
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

1. Is 150-ish jumps the point where magic yoda physics knowledge happens, and you can slow down the matrix and predict exactly how the jump will occur? It seems to me that a jumper willing to push the envelope a bit is already confident in his skills and the potential outcome, and I don't think good jumpers become great ones by doing the same thing over and over again.

Being a safe, competent skydiver comes with experience......there is no magic number, but at 42 jumps most people don't have the first clue about the possible consequences(nor the skills to pull it off safely) of such an action as he is planning on doing. I say planning on because it is obvious he is going to do it if he can, and not heed any warning from anybody. Just like many newbies, they wait to hear something they like from one person and run with it....ignoring everybody else. Such is skydiving.

2. Did you really say, in a skydiving forum, that this might be dangerous? OH NOS!

Read it again, Einstein. I stated that pairing an inexperienced jumper with an inexperienced pilot(who may have no clue about aerodynamics and what happens when a person climbs out on the wing, or what happens when said inexperienced skydiver takes off half the tail on exit) is much more dangerous. An intelligent person would understand that as "much more dangerous than a normal skydive".

Sorry, I read that like you were being a prick, despite your efforts.

That's ok....I don't really care what some schmuck(sorry, guess that should be schmook) thinks, especially when it's somebody that's hiding behind a fake account they created today. Get a backbone - if you don't agree with something, don't try to hide behind some fake name...be yourself.

Mike

The concerns were expected. My question was answered though and I thank everyone for the posts. I'll post a picture when we get around to jumping the new toy.

There is a lot of planning that needs to be done before any jump that is not ordinary. You need to plan out all the scenarios that could happen and what your going to do if said scenarios occur. A 42 jump wonder like yourself probably already figured this out. I mean you obviously are an expert jumper my now. No offense. But if you fuck up, it will indirectly fuck me.

I fly airplanes for fun and for pay. I jump out of airplanes for fun. If some yahoo goes out and kills them self by taking out the tail of the aircraft, then that aircraft spirals out of the sky killing all passenger into a innocent persons house, or school, or whatever. THere are sure to be lawsuits to follow. What do lawsuits bring, higher insurance rates and premiums. And that will piss me off, but what would you care about that. Youd be dead in that scenario.

good luck, be safe and reconsider for now. when you can accurately predict your bodies movements and the reactions that those movements create in a few hundred jumps I would be a little less concerned.

Nic Russell

I understand that having jumped from a Bonanza myself (among some other questionable aircraft).

When in your skyjumping career did you attempt these jumps? Probably not before 100 jumps, let alone 42. Jumping from non DZ planes is a lot of fun but comes with a certain amount of planning, understanding, and needed experience. It seems as if a lot of jumpers want to rush into things they are not ready for. I totally understand your desires, there is a lot this sport has to offer. You do not need to do them all NOW. Wait until experience is gained as well as your ability.

Just my .02

nic