CrazyIvan

Rolling the tail on a BRAND new canopy

I have a Sabre 150 canopy and is brand new, the problem I encounter sometimes is ROLLING THE TAIL, the material is so slipery that sometimes I can't get it in place, especially on the top (where the edge meets the slider), any tips on how to keep a tight roll and avoid the spread open on the top?

Start the roll at the top. You'll want to do a pencil-roll. Basically, you want to make it very tight and very small. 3-5 rolls should do it. Make sure you aren't pulling the slider into it.

From there, use one hand to hold that roll and use your other hand to roll the rest of the tail normally.

Keep a good grip on both rolls as you lay the canopy on the ground and you should be fine.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

That 'pencil' roll is the one I have troubles with sometimes, the material is so freaking slippery, I'll keep practicing.

Psycho packing, I'm not sure about that, I know how to psycho pack but I believe is not recommended on a Sabre 2.

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming.

I have a Sabre 150 canopy and is brand new, the problem I encounter sometimes is ROLLING THE TAIL, the material is so slipery that sometimes I can gat it in place, especially on the top (where the edge meets the slider), any tips on how to keep a tight roll and avoid the spread open on the top?

I know how you feel! :S

My Sabre2 is brand new too, and is slippery as a fish.:$

;)

Yves.

I also have a brand new slippery sabre, I am also very new in this sport. I bought the pro pack video
and started packing in my apartment. Put the dog in the bedroom and here we go. Well after about 40
minutes of sweat and cursing I decided to get up gently and get a beer, What I dont understand is why
it takes so much time to get the air out and quickly
that shit (air) comes back in. I wanted to cut it up with a pair scissors. I am now convinced that it's linked to "why do I do this". You will be laughing at
yourself in no time. Enjoy

Believe me Ivan, the guys had more fun watching me pack my new saber, than they did watching me land it. both were pretty funny. I did the phyco pack starting out but quit after about 30 pack jobs, it opens ok and you need a bridle extension, but its not really recommended by PD to pack that way.
Any thing other than a pd pro pack, you can consider yourself a test jumper. Here's what I do, when i get ready to roll the tail, with my palm open and my thumb pointed down, I lay the lines on my wrist, freeing my hand to pencil roll the tail and hold it until I lay the canopy down. Than my knee go's on that roll and stays there until I fold the canopy.
Once you get the air out you have to keep an arm or leg on it until you get it in the bag, all the while it tries to go seven different directions. good luck!
wish I could watch.

blue skies

jerry

Humm,Holding the area tighter comes to mind.Ivan,there are many ways to pack.Lately,I,ve been standing on the lines and kneeling on the warning label as I roll the parachute inward.A tight fold from a tight roll seems to go in the bag rather nice.Every time I try to cheat this I have to stuff,which takes more strength that I don,t have all the time all day.Hope this helps?

Do what jumperconway said. But I will add my own advice to it. Pencil roll at the second seam down from the slider. Roll it at least 13 times. Hold on to the roll when you lay the canopy down and never lose control of it. You should be able to feel it when you lay down on the canopy.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

I usually did not worry about that part of the tail as much because it is not directly in front of the nose. You actually want your slider to catch as much air as possible while delaying the nose inflation. As long as the tail is tightly rolled and you keep enough tension on it (keeping it pulled toward the topskin), you should be good to go.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

I usually did not worry about that part of the tail as much because it is not directly in front of the nose. You actually want your slider to catch as much air as possible while delaying the nose inflation. As long as the tail is tightly rolled and you keep enough tension on it (keeping it pulled toward the topskin), you should be good to go.

I understand, but, if you don't roll it tight, when you place it on the floor, the whole thing spreads open...DAMN!!! >:(

This is why when you lay it on the floor you keep your hold on that roll while smoothing out the canopy with your free hand. Do not let go of the roll until you lay on the canopy.

Its easy! Come to arizona, jump @ desert skydive center(we have drit landing areas) Within 10 to 20 jumps the slicness will be gone! I only have 10 jumps on my Saber II so I'm still paying a packer;)
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I've got a brand new safire 2 and I've gone to hell and back learning to pack it! The way I do the tail is just to do the top part first by the slider and then holing that I use my free hand to slowly move down the tail rolling the whole way. This will reinforce the top roll the further you go. It's hard at first! My packers could barely get this thing in the bag themselves... but persistence definitely pays off! You'll get it!

Chaps
Carpe diem