SSkydiver

Repack or not???

I havent jumped for 5 weeks but plan on being at the DZ this weekend if the weather holds out. Should i repack my main because of the 5 week layoff or am i good to go. The rig is in a gear bag and has pretty much not moved in the 5 weeks other than moving it from the living room to the closet.

If it was packed properly it should be just fine. It may open a tad slower but that's about it.

As long as it isn't over 120 days since you last packed the main you can jump it with no problems.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Don't waste a packjob. If you'd have jumped it the day you packed it, it will be just fine weeks and months later. I've jumped pack jobs that are many, many months old. As long as your rig has been stored properly (it sounds like it) and you have no reason to inspect it due to exposure to heat, moisture etc...I'd say go for it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I'd repack it. GRANTED, i barely have 100 jumps, but it's good practice, and if it was 5 weeks for me, i probably wouldn't be able to remember if i rushed it, or if i took a decent time packing it.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

A subtle point of order missed by the other posts: did you pack it 5 weeks ago? Or did a packer pack it for you? And does he still work there?

Personally, I would jump it for the cheap thrill. You could even bet someone a dollar that it will / won't mal, if you wanted to increase that delicious tension in the plane a little more.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

5 weeks! how did you do it? I want secrets...

but seriously, if you have no particular reason to suspect otherwise, it's most likely fine.

but you know what, in the spirit of safety, go ahead and air it out and repack it anyway. If you don't mind doing it, it couldn't hurt.

At 100 jumps experience I'd reccomend repacking it just to refresh your memory/ packing skills.

Hell that might just jynx him. :D:ph34r:

I would just go with it. It should be fine.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

It'll open slower? How do you figure?

-R

If it was packed properly it should be just fine. It may open a tad slower but that's about it.

As long as it isn't over 120 days since you last packed the main you can jump it with no problems.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Jump it. Your reserve has been packed longer, right? A few years ago we put out a canopy which had been packed and sealed for 50 years. It worked just fine.

Hey!
I did one of those too!
Well, more than one really...
came upon 1/2 dozen T10's that were last packed in '51
all opened fine...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jump it. Your reserve has been packed longer, right? A few years ago we put out a canopy which had been packed and sealed for 50 years. It worked just fine.

But a reserve is not made from ZP.
Never the less , a ZP main packed for 5 weeks is no problem if it was packed when dry.

I havent jumped for 5 weeks but plan on being at the DZ this weekend if the weather holds out. Should i repack my main because of the 5 week layoff or am i good to go. The rig is in a gear bag and has pretty much not moved in the 5 weeks other than moving it from the living room to the closet.

I see everyone is saying go ahead and jump it. I require a bit more information. What environment has your rig been in for the past 5 weeks? Living room? Trunk of your car? Hanging on a peg at the DZ?

In a climate controlled environment, I would have no hesitation in jumping a canopy (main or reserve) that had been packed for ...years.

BSBD,

Michael