bshl

Earplugs

I just got my A license and am still learning all I can. Several guys at our DZ wear earplugs and I was hoping I could get some input from the community. I'm full of questions about whether you wear them, how they affect audible altimeters, whether you wear them for high altitude jumps, whether you use the porous cylindrical type or the tighter, more dense tapered type, ... There are more, these are just some of the things that have crossed my mind.

Rather than ask you to respond to these, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a minute to post your opinion. Yeah, I know - opinions are like armpits; we all have 'em and nobody is very interested in yours. In this case, however, I am interested in your opinion. What do you think/do about earplugs?

Thanks for the input.

Blue skies and happy landings!

What did you say young man?
Speak up!
I can't hear you!

Seriously, a decade ago Manley Butler suggested wearing ear plugs because my hearing was starting to suffer. I tried Sonic IIs for a while, but for the last decade have been wearing a variety of cheap industrial ear plugs on a string.

Click Here

Lotso threads 'bout earplugs. I used to use them because of some past damage to my ears. I used the squishy kind from the drugstores. Worked great for the ride to altitude and for freefall. Since I got my Mindwarp helmet, I don't need the earplugs, I just leave my helmet on my head for the plane ride. All in all, they work great for ear protection.

been jumpin nearly 10 years NEVER worn earplugs to skydive dont quite know why i would ? its not that loud usually jump a twin otter always wear helmet for takeoff never seen anyone wear earplugs while jumpin this is new to me my ears wk fine ... just my 10 cents..

I wear the cylindrical, tapered type(most of 'em I've seen are green). I wear them in the airplane, take them out just before exit. I'm not worried about hearing damage from the freefall - my helmet does a good job of keeping that noise level tolerable for the short duration.....but I AM worried about the noise from the airplane. I also wear earplugs in the airplanes at work(with my headset over 'em). My hearing has always been very sensitive, and I don't want to lose any more of it than I have to.

Mike

Joe,
You're definitely going to get a lot of opinions on this one, and no one is correct.

I've always liked using earplugs and know that it is something i should do, but i don't do it all the time. I'll remember to wear them if the ear plugs are some where in sight; either on the zipper of my jumpsuit or wrapped around my goggle strap (this would be the type connected by the cord). If they are in a pocket, i just forget about them.

My earplug use really is determined by the airplane and situation i'm in. If i'm in one of our cessnas, i really prefer to wear them. But, if i'm up with students i leave them out so that i can hear everything perfectly. If i'm in an otter, i won't wear them, but if i'm in the skyvan i wear them always. I'll even wear earplugs during our boogie when i'm loading people into the skyvan. That plane is just too damn loud.

I have my pro-dytter set on HI because i have an open-eared helmet. Using earplugs makes the audible quieter, but I still always notice it. Like most others posting, i just use the cheapies that i find at the drug store with a high noise rating and a cord attaching the two so that they don't get lost.

I usually pop them out before freefall. Don't know why, just seems too quiet with them in. But when i forget to take them out, the first second of freefall is a very odd sound and then i think "duh" and take them out.

b

most guys I see wear ear plugs wear them in the ride up and take them off as they gear up at the 2 minute warning. Also, generally it's the older (maybe wiser? hehe :D) guys I see doing this. Maybe they've had a few more years to subject themself to ear damage and know whats going to hurt in the long run. I don't wear them but it sounds like a good idea to me!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

The main reason I take my earplugs out before exit is so that I can hear better once under canopy. I haven't ever heard anybody else under canopy that I didn't know was there(usually side by side or in a stack), but it's the ONE time that may save my life, or somebody else.

Mike

Does anyone who wears earplugs notice a difference in the way your body reacts to the pressure gradient with them in? Do your ears "pop" more or less with them in or is their no distinguishable difference? I too was thinking about wearing ear plugs but the idea of sealing up my ear cavity while going through the change in altitude makes me a little nervous.

-bb-

I can concentrate better when I use earplugs.

I also have found that I hear my audible better while wearing earplugs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That's one of the key questions I had, Brian. The pressure changes a lot between here and there, especially during high altitude drops during boogies and other special events. That's the background behind my question of whether to use the more porous or dense earplugs. Judging by the posts, though, it doesn't really seem to be an issue. We typically jump Cessnas at my DZ so noise is certainly an issue.

Cheers!

I don't use the earplugs that form a completely air/water tight seal. The standard foam earplugs do not do so - so your ears will equalize normally. Only the earplugs that are designed to keep water out are really airtight, AFAIK. Don't use those.

Mike

The main reason I take my earplugs out before exit is so that I can hear better once under canopy. I haven't ever heard anybody else under canopy that I didn't know was there(usually side by side or in a stack), but it's the ONE time that may save my life, or somebody else.

Mike

Ditto. I use the foam ones from the drugstore, so if I accidentally drop/lose one, no big deal.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I wear earplugs a lot of the times. It all depends on which airplane I am boarding. I'm not really to concerned when getting on a King Air or Otter but i try to have them with. The Pratt's are not that loud but when a Casa or Skyvan shows up and the Garrets are winding, I always have ear plugs but I take them out before I exit. I have about 40 more years to go of being around aircraft being that i'm in the aviation field and I need to conserve as much hearing as I can. When I was in the army I lost some hearing due to the fact that during live fires and weapons and everything else going off, I didnt wear them like I was supposed to because I couldn't hear what my team or squad leader was yelling at me.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!