Shindagrl

How do you feel about "De Plane"???

I've done two jumps, which will turn into many, many more. I've gotta say, though........

I DO NOT like the plane! At all. I get mildly airsick, actually. There's no way I'd get up in that thing without a parachute and the intention of getting out of it! Makes it a whole heckuva lot easier to get out on that wing strut and let go. ;)

My DZ has a Cessna 182. I've been flying all of my life, and love the bigger jets, but I don't even much care for the commuter planes we occasionally take to the big airports when we travel. Then I get in one that holds five people, barely........ooooh, no, I don't like it at all. :o

I know I'm not alone here, right? I'm just waiting for the day when I can get my license and jump out of something bigger occasionally (they have a King Air every other weekend).

Shinda

An audience of 35 head of cattle was not exactly what I had in mind for that last landing.........

Aside from when I'm skydiving, I love little planes. The smaller the better to me. I much prefer commuter planes over large airliners. There's nothing worse than getting stuck in the middle section between the aisles of a 747 or 767. And then you have to wait for 300 other people to get off and get their bags. The smaller the plane, the less hassle.

When I'm not skydiving, I think of a 182 as a nice, big, fast, complex plane. I have a couple hours in a 206 and it felt massive. Actually I've only flown one bigger plane, a piper cheyenne, which is similar to a king air 90. But when I'm jumping, 182s seem tiny, slow, and uncomfortable.

You'll get used to flying in small planes as you jump more and more. Someday ya might even like it! :)
Dave

I highly prefer the large jump planes. I don't mind a cessna I think its just a spoiled type of thing. At my DZ even our cessna has a badass engine.

as for comuter type flights I like the fairchild jets for regional stuff, and a nice 80-100 passenger plane is better than a huge 747 where you are stuck waiting for a ton of people to get out of your way so you can get off the plane.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The only time I've ever been on a plane was when I did my first tandem in September. We flew in a King Air and I thought I was going to be scared out of my mind, but I totally wasn't. It wasn't bad at all actually. I kinda liked the feeling going up in the plane. I wasn't nervous at all. I can honestly say though that I've never landed in an airplane. ;) It's a great feeling! I'm sure you'll get used to the small planes eventually. Everyone's different and I'm sure it will only take a little time.

Sheena
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

182s kick ass! They're so much fun to jump out of!

Look at it this way, if a 182 looses the engine, it can still glide and land fairly well.

Trust me, I say this from experience, if you'd like the story, go look in incidents.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had the "OH SHIT WE ALL GONNA DIE" thing going tell about jump 21 or 22. I hated,HATED getting on the plane and all the way tell alltitude all I could think about was crashing (especially as we climbed over the wasatch mountains!) If it wasn't for freefall I would never have got back on the plane, matter of fact every single jump I swore I wasn't getting back on until I jumped out and said to myself "oh yeah thats why I got on that *^%$#@ Plane!" Then one day I was looking out the window at the mountains and realized i hadn't thought about crashing into them once. Now I kinda miss that ,not completly;) but in a sick twisted sort of way I do miss it:S

No matter how bad your brain tries to talk you out of getting on the plane don't let it win. It will go away and one day you to will miss that twisting of the stomach and the sweaty palms.

Blue SKies!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Shinda--just hang in there it does get better. Try putting a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it on the ride to altitude. It will help. In the mean time think about what you are trying to accomplish on this jump, picture it in your mind. Then just go out and do it. As Aggie Dave said, "The little planes can land safely any place.
drjump--pilot and jumper

Ok, Kai, you and I both know, your nuts!!!

B|

Alright, Cessna's are cool in their own way, but what Kai is holding out is...

We have an Otter, not just an Otter, A BEAUTIFUL TURBO TWIN OTTER...

Incredible, comfy, take you to altitude in the time it takes to walk to the corner drug store.

The old joke "Whuffo you jumpin outta that perfectly good airplane" "You haven't seen our plane?". Well, it just doesn't apply. Our plane ROCKS, BiG Time.

I Like flying Cessnas and I like riding in them. Jumping them sucks. Everyone crammed in the back like sardines... 20 minutes to get to 10,000 feet (ok, somewhere around there)....

Otters Rock - Cessnas Suck

However, the goal is to get up there and jump, if thats what you got, work with it!!!

B|

I feel your pain

;)

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I know I'm not alone here, right? I'm just waiting for the day when I can get my license and jump out of something bigger occasionally (they have a King Air every other weekend).

Once you get off student status, go over to the other DZ on the airport(SD Missouri). Fiesty's plane is the wider body 182 and until Skyranch got their engine mod, it was the fastest climbing 182 in the country. So more room and less time in the plane.

OTOH, if you really like the KA, it spends the other weekends at Skyranch which is only about 2&1/2 hours from Mt. Vernon. Even when they don't have the KA, they still have what's probably the fastest Cessna around.

BTW< if you go to either place, tell them Jack da Rigger says hi.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Riding in the plane (182 mostly) was a big scarer for me at first, too. Now (41 jumps) it just makes me nervous, and then only for parts of the ride. I talked to some up-jumpers when I had like 10 jumps and they said you just get used to the plane after enough rides. One guy said 50 but I don't know if I'll be totally cool in the 182 at 50 rides. Maybe 100. :)

For me the most important thing is to relax. Actually make your body relax while you're riding, and it will be a lot better. When my back was stiff and the harness was cutting into my shoulders and I would only take small breaths, life sucked. If I relax everything and gently breathe fully, it's way better.

I'm gonna try that rubber band thing someone else wrote about.

Oh, and whenever it gets bumpy, I find closing my eyes helps. In fact, unless I'm feeling really tough, I always close my eyes for half a minute after takeoff, when we most consistently encounter turbulence. I just imagine I'm driving my car / motorcycle. (The sensation is remarkably accurate, as my ex-wife would attest.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Actually, the takeoff isn't that bad. It's not the thought of crashing that freaks me out, although I will say that I don't ever even think about it when in a bigger plane. It's when we're getting near-altitude and doing all the banking that gets me. WHOOOOOP-----instant "stomach in the throat" time! :o

I do sit and go over the jump sequence in my head, I sing in my head, I look out the windows.....it's just the motion. Oh, well, cruise ships make me seasick too, but I've still cruised four times and I'm not about to stop!

Shinda

An audience of 35 head of cattle was not exactly what I had in mind for that last landing.........

The more rides to alt to pursue your new fav thing...the more you will like "de plane"

Give it ...lets say another 20 jumps...by then all you will care about is the skydive...the plane ride will be just a little time to look at the scenery,go over your skydive,rehearse your emergency proceedures and stick your tongue out at fellow skydivers.

C-182's are great...any small plane is...you feel what is going on...sure there cramped..and take 20 mins to get to 10k...I,ve learned to enjoy the ride up...time to relax, get your thoughts together..give the pilot a wet willy;)

In time you prob will learn to enjoy the ride to alt and start sticking your head out the door to watch students leave.

Plz make sure you post about "De Plane" after jump#22B|

Shinda,

Wanna get over it, take flying lessons. That will cure you of any of the fears of flying. Wish you lived close enough that I could take you flying in a Cessna, think you'd have a good time and get over the fears. Really you should consider learning to fly, skydiving and flying are my two passions, I'd have a hard time living without either of them, addicted to both. Think about it ;)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

It's not the "fear", it's the MOTION. Same thing with ships.......I hate sailboats but love the big cruiselines. This last time I jumped I took ginger beforehand to calm my stomach, but it didn't do much for me. I might be better off using Meclizine (Bonine), which is what I use on cruises and it has no side effects for me. Or I might just buck up and deal with it...........as many have said, I'll get used to it and condition myself to thinking, "Hey, if I'm airsick, I'm just about to have fun!!!".;)

Funny thing is, the second I'm outta that plane I am F-Y-N-E FINE. B|

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I knew I wasn't alone on this one.

Blue (calm) skies-

Shinda

I've yet to land in a plane, ever !
The ride to altitude doesn't bother me but I really don't like it, it's sorta like riding the bus to school, although I can't wait to get there, something I never said about school. I do think the take off rocks.

i have to admit the planes are ace!. I found it really wierd taking off in such a small plane the first time. and the takeoff was very quick i almost fell off the seat it was that steep!