mich

2 people have been arrested

... esp considering they are trying to delve into a world they do not understand...

Well, maybe all is not lost.

I know a number of policemen that skydive. If memory serves, there was some mention of a skydiving member of the police force assisting in the investigation.
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

I am SOOOO happy they are making serious work of this incident. I just think we should keep an open mind at this point, since they have arrested them on "suspicion" does not mean they are the guilty ones.

BUT, saying that.. If they do turn out to be guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, I hope they fry!

Fortunately, frying and BBQ:n humans is not done this side of the ocean...

If the police do not have the evidence against these two then why were they arrested? Do the police not realise the implications their arrest will result in and the tarnish on their reputations?

It seems the only time the UK police are effective is when they are using their speed cameras. >:(
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

If the police do not have the evidence against these two then why were they arrested? Do the police not realise the implications their arrest will result in and the tarnish on their reputations?

It seems the only time the UK police are effective is when they are using their speed cameras. >:(

are you not british?

I am.. and they are very effective in matters other than speed cameras. - they seem to be handling this situation very well.

they wouldnt have held them if they didnt have enough evidence, but if u guys remember they have now being charged with suspicion.. and released on bail.

CrazyDave, the first two to be arrested have not been charged with anything. They were released without charge last month. They are now on police bail waiting for the CPS to confirm if anthing is gonna happen.

This new arrest is a new person altogether, unconnected with the first two. Again, still no charges although this time he's been arrested on suspision of both murder and of criminal damage, which did not happen last time.

CrazyDave, the first two to be arrested have not been charged with anything. They were released without charge last month. They are now on police bail waiting for the CPS to confirm if anthing is gonna happen.

------------------------ Yes i know... i just realised now after reading this and the mail i got that I made a big mistake... i obviously wasnt paying enough attention in my law study.
-------------------------------------------------------
This new arrest is a new person altogether, unconnected with the first two. Again, still no charges although this time he's been arrested on suspision of both murder and of criminal damage, which did not happen last time.
------------------------------------------- I new about this one... he is from leeds i believe, but i didnt know about the criminal damage.

Wait a minute.... i was told by my law teacher that they have to be charged or released within 96 hours, i'm sure the news said they were charged.... aw well i guess i go law lessons and 'law and order' mixed up again!!!!

Sorry For the mistake!

CrazyDave

Does "arrest" mean the same thing in the UK as it does in the US?

Were the first two "brought in for questioning" while the more recent guy has been actually charged with a crime? Or, as two peoples separated by a common language, do Americanners hear different things than Brits when I hear about people being arrested?

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

My understanding is in England they can not question you for more then an hour or two without having you in thier custody. You have to be arrested to be placed into custody. Basically they have to have a reason to question you to prevent harassment of you since you are innocent until they prove otherwise.

Arrested = Brought in for questioning
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

In the UK being arrested in the grand scale of things, doesn’t mean a lot. Its more than simply "helping police with their enquires" - that’s a voluntary thing (although if you say no, the police will probably simply arrest you).

When arrested you are kept in cells at the police station and they can question you for up to 24 hours. This can be extended by applying to senior officers at first then to a court, up to a maximum of 96 hours. They must then either be charged or released. Their detention must be continually assessed to see if they should still be under arrest or if they should be charged/released.

The police only need "reasonable grounds" to arrest someone - this is quite easy. They need much more evidence to charge someone. A charge is far more serious. No one has been charged yet, not the first two or this third person. If we see a charge that means the police (or lawyers for the Crown) believe there is enough evidence to secure a conviction. Once charged they can no longer interview a person, so they must be sure they have enough evidence.

In short:
Arrest = not a lot of evidence but suspicion.
Charge = enough evidence to secure a conviction (at least so the police think)

(teach you to ask legally technical questions wont it)

If you are arrested, you are involuntarily in police custody and are deprived (at least temporarily) of your freedom. Generally involves physical restraint (handcuffs, locked in a police car or a cell...)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.