alain

stupid neighbours: burned aircraft !

very sad news for the sport on this side of the pound [:/]

EGR is a new DZ and was undergoing a steady developement since early 03 at a very nice location, 200m away from the sea in a beautifull area of France (Normandie, remember june 1944 ?)
People living arround the airfield got upset with the aircrafts noises (how stupid is that: if you buy a house near by an airfield 'coz it's cheap, you can't complain about the noise)
During the night last thursday: some criminals, somehow related to that neighbourhood conspiration, got into the DZ hangar and burned the Pilatus Porter PC-6 !
Criminal investigation is underway, I hope the guilty people get cought and severely punished.

more info here (in french, sorry)

http://www.saint-lo.maville.com/actu/detail.asp?idDoc=105719&IdCla=10
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/627.html
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/aviationworld/pc6/history/714.htm (that porter was on sale)

feel free to email the DZ staff (any language appreciated)
[email protected]
they need our support !

Alain

what a bunch of FUCKING ASSHOLES! Someone needs to find them and beat the SHIT out of them!>:( >:( >:(
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

this sickens me ..

why not just start a petition or something CONSTRUCTIVE.. do these people have ANY IDEA how much these things cost???

i hope the insurance doesn't mess around paying out..

what a kick in the bollocks :(
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

Our previous jump ship was a Twin Bonanza, which is a VERY noisy plane. In comparison, the Pilatus is barely noticeable.

We too had our share of problems with our neighborhood when we operated the Twin Bo, because of the noise generated. Since we got the King Air, the complaints have diminished.

I dunno why this happened at Granville. Maybe we'll know more about this in a few weeks, but right now, the inquiry is just beginning.

And yes, setting a plane on fire is a criminal offense here too, like just about everywhere in the world! :P

;)

Yves.

Get a DC-3, and build a runway with their houses directly at the departure end!>:( After a couple of loads they'll realize how lucky they were with the Porter. Hope you catch and prosecute the bastards!!!
Shawn

I dunno, if you lose power on takeoff and have to crash, do you really want to crash on them and their houses? Their heads would probably be really hard. Plus they might set you on fire while you're trying to crawl out of the wreckage.

On a serious note, I totally agree with the turbine noise vs. piston noise issue. Too bad the porter is burnt; I'm sure they could have realized how well they had it if you gave them some cooperative turbine vs. piston noise demonstrations.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Yes us guys from Jersey are all really sorry about what happened with the porter, we've spent a lot of week-ends there this summer hopping on the boat from Jersey to Granville to jump. It's a cool DZ, right by the beach with lovely sunsets. Regis & Claire have made us "foreigners" really welcome, letting us camp in the club-house when we arrive late on the evening boat from Jersey. Regis even spent time learning some English so he could help us newly qualified students. I did my first consol there in July.
I heard that the DZ might now have to close. I really hope not it would be a great loss to skydiving.

oh my god..................................................................................................................................................................................

how could anyone be like that... i think we should strike back by popping all of their footballs hehe

I don't understand French, so I couldn't read any of the articles you linked to. Maybe somebody who does read the language can answer some questions for me: Is there any evidence that this was arson? Is there any evidence that the neighbors are responsible for starting the fires?

I don't understand French, so I couldn't read any of the articles you linked to. Maybe somebody who does read the language can answer some questions for me: Is there any evidence that this was arson? Is there any evidence that the neighbors are responsible for starting the fires?

From what i've read of the article, it's not known at this time that it was arson, and no suspects have been identified yet.

;)

Yves.

When in doubt, beat the shit outta everybody til' some assface tells who did it!

For a while, we had it a bit differently here in the United States.

With any luck, they'll find out who did it and extract the price of a shiny NEW porter out of them.

I know I'd cry my little eyes out if they had to sell their airport-side home to help pay for that. But then at least they wouldn't have to put up with the horrible turboprop noise anymore. :o

Hope it doesn't force the culprits to move to a place right off the end of a runway at Charles De Gaulle airport, tho...

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.