airsaint

what is the right thing to do?

"What if the owner is selling the gear because of extremely hard openings on *every* jump?"

Then don't buy it....:)Chances are the canopy is shagged, lineset needs replacing, risers are dodgy, 3 rings are indented, etc etc etc
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

It's the golden rule you break it you buy it. What if it was your canopy you were selling and that happened. It blows up on the person and they say to bad, I know I would be pretty pissed. It is better Karma to buy anyway.

What could possibly go wrong?

There is no winner in a situation like this. If you were test driving a used car and it blew a rod or had other mechanical problems, would all of you people who thinks Chris should buy the canopy, feel obliged to still buy the car?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

There is no winner in a situation like this. If you were test driving a used car and it blew a rod or had other mechanical problems, would all of you people who thinks Chris should buy the canopy, feel obliged to still buy the car?

Only if the person doing the test drive just rebuilt the engine.;)

A parachute is a bit different.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

If you decide to try and file your claim on your homeowner's policy, keep this in mind.......

Most people have a deductible of at least $500, so you're going to be out that. When you file a claim, will it really be worth not just replacing the canopy with one of equal value, with similar wear and tear? If someone fell off of my porch and the medical bill was $700, I'd just as soon eat the whole thing as raise my premiums for years over $200.

Food for thought. Sorry it happened to you in the first place, but at least you're still here to tell us about it!

Blue ones-

Shinda

An audience of 35 head of cattle was not exactly what I had in mind for that last landing.........

I agree dude. You jumped it, it was completely your responsibility. You need to pay for it.

I agree with people who say "dude", since I do so myself. Therefore, WrongWay is right. Even if that means that the wrong way is the right one.

:)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I agreed to pay for repair( before posting) just curious as to whether i should have a conversation with the packer or not. The repair is 500.00 dollars two blown end cells and torn tail. The opening knocked me out and broke(compression fractures) to t-10 t-11 c-5 c-6 Just had MRI today. Full spine 2400.00 dollars. Aerodyne said it was the result of packing error.(yes Iam lazy and pay packer due to previously broken back,neck,torn ACL,MCL,Medial miniscus and torn rotator cuff) packing hurts...so apparantly does not packing.

What kind of canopy was it?
IIRC Triathlon's used to have a tendency to blow up.
I'm pretty sure it happened to a couple of jumpers at my DZ when those canopies first came out.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

A buddy of mine cutaway his brand new Sabre2 in the woods of maine. He had homeowners insureance and he had to eat it. They said that if it was stolen, then they would have paid for it, but since he cut it away, he was out of luck. So if anyone needs a brand new Sabre2 170...come on up and take a look...only on Sundays though...no deer hunting on sundays!!!:)

Here's where it's important how you report the story.

"I saw it land in this field. But by the time I arrived there it was gone - someone stole it." :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Gosh, that is terrible that you got hurt so badly:( Honestly, I wouldn't think there'd be anything you can do about a packer who packed you a hard opening or whatever. I mean, if packers were liable, then they'd be payed a lot more, and would have insurance for such things.

Or course the parachute mfg will say it is a packing error. I don't know how you could prove it one way or the other, tho. That's a shame.

Heal well.
Angela.

Let me change the question a little to one we had at our dz not too long ago. Situation is this:

Skydiver is hurt. Rigger, to be nice, is renting the hurt skydiver's gear to folks, and they are sharing the money by some agreement (I don't know the details).

New guy comes to the dz, needs a rig. Rigger rents hurt skydiver's rig to new guy. New guy has a cutaway.

Main, freebag and handles all lost.

New guy disappears.

Who pays?

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com