partyboy

Any Back Problems In THis Sport??

I had a back injury from football when I was in high school a few years ago, and when I jump, at the end of the day I can feel where it has inflammed, or come up again.I know this sounds serious to the non-medical personel, but down lower on one of my vertbraes, not the spinal cord people, I had a small fracture. I had it looked at by doctors when it happened, and overall I was all right, but I just wanted to see if I aint the only one out there that jumps with some sort of destraction, or problems from canopy openings or arching, etc. Anyone?:|

Up High!!

I've had my back go really out of whack from a couple hard openings (especially my neck), but never anything super serious. Just went to my chiropractor and it was all good to go (after a couple visits the one time I got whiplash from an opening)...that time I also went to a professional massage theropist. That helped as well.

You might want to PM Skybytch, she had to have surgery on her back and she's back in the air (no pun intended) and doing well since then...she might be able to help you out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i had almost exactly the same thing happen to me, but i ruptured/slipped/cracked a disk. i'm still not really sure because i havent gone to a professional about it. i've gotten some pretty educated guesses about it, but i know that i'd need surgery for it. i really dont wanna have a surgery because my super fly hella cool tattoo is right there.

A better question would be, "Does anyone in this sport NOT have back problems?"

Well I am just getting started in this sport, but hopefully the people at my home DZ won't have any back problems in the future. ;) I am a chiropractor, and I have adjusted a few people at my DZ. The best way to keep your back in shape is to get regular adjustments (to keep everything freely movable as well as keep pressure off the nervous system) stretch before you jump (including those who are young and pain free) and try to stay in shape, keep your back and abdominal muscles strong. These things will go a long way in keeping you in the air for a long time to come.

As for the original poster, the most common fracture of the spine is a compression fracture, if this is what you had and it was a while ago, then it is probably pretty stable by now, so you shouldn't have much to worry about. The above recommendations should help.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

No back problems here... but just as a layman's guess, I'd consider doing some exercises to stregnthen your back muscles to relieve pressure from the vertibrae.

It might be interesting to take a day and practice arching hard... just to see if that's what's causing the inflamation. Might be something as simple as walking around the DZ all day. Too much time on your feet. Does it ever get inflamed when you're NOT jumping?

Might consider trading that Tri for a spectre or omni also... A tri can occasional give a hard opening, I've been told.

Just guesing tho...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I had a back injury from football when I was in high school a few years ago, and when I jump, at the end of the day I can feel where it has inflammed, or come up again.I know this sounds serious to the non-medical personel, but down lower on one of my vertbraes, not the spinal cord people, I had a small fracture. I had it looked at by doctors when it happened, and overall I was all right, but I just wanted to see if I aint the only one out there that jumps with some sort of destraction, or problems from canopy openings or arching, etc. Anyone?:|

i compressed fractured a good portion of my spine when i was a kid..... i have constant pain in my back....

skydiving actually helps with it because it keeps me active... the more i sit or lay around the more it hurts..

during the winter time it inflames more often and hurts a little worse....

my doctors advice to me was to stay slim and stay active...

I am nearly the exact same boat. I herniated my L5-S1 disc (lower back) playing football in high school. 7 years later I started jumping and my back definitely lets me know if I am pushing myself too hard. Physical therapy and lots of stretching have helped me the most.

As far as jumping goes, I use a spectre, which has nice, consistent, on-heading openings. Also, I found that a major way to prevent canopy openings from hurting my back is to grab the risers as soon as they stand up (before the canopy actually opens). I grab them around ear height (a few inches above the 3 rings) and pull down gradually. What this does is allow your arms to work as shocks and keep much of the canopy's opening shock from jamming your pelvis up (and compressing your spine). Hope this helps...others who have tried this at my DZ have said it has been good for them too.

Shane

pb,

I agree with KolinskyDC & Marks--Staying active, keeping abs & back muscles in good shape has been key for me. (compression fracture of L3 & L4...
now auto fused)
Also key.. for pain relief.. are 'adjustments'. I haven't had cash/insurance for chiropractor, so have developed 'stretching exercises' for relief.
(pm for info)
Three things to avoid;
Forces applied at extension of arms--(an example of this would be; bending from waist to pick up weight with arms extended) In skydiving this can occur from wing suit, etc.
Hard openings.
Rough landings.

Two links that might help;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=791065;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
&;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=781319;#781319

D

I am nearly the exact same boat. I herniated my L5-S1 disc (lower back) playing football in high school. 7 years later I started jumping and my back definitely lets me know if I am pushing myself too hard. Physical therapy and lots of stretching have helped me the most.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In 1987 I herniated a disc in my lower back and "toughed it out" until the muscles in my left leg cramped up solid. The injury may have occurred when I helped my brother build a rock garden, but I suspect it was too many jumps on PD 360 canopies with heavy students.
Fortunately I saw a good sports-medicine doctor at the University of Ottawa.
Unfortunately the pills he gave me didn't do much, nor did the physical therapist, so I spent the first winter laying around moaning.
The second winter I took up swimming and was more cheerful.
The third winter I took up aerobic dance and was way more cheerful.
Since then I have done over 3,000 skydives, most of them tandems.
These days my back reminds me every time I slack off on sit-ups or stretching.

I had severe scoliosis and had 6 or 7 vertebrae fused. I now have 200 jumps since I had the fusion done. I take care of it and stop jumping if it gives me problems (it only has once) I also stretch, live an active lifestyle off the dz. I am now going to take up swimming on a regular basis to improve my endurance and flexibility. if anyone has any particular stretches they do that would be awesome info to add.

blue ones

D 27808

Stretches;

My two favorites, best done in succession;

1) Lay with back flat on floor, bed or (best) in tub with hot water, pull both knees up to chest, grab legs just below knees, arch back while pulling knees to chest.{Snap, crackle, & pop} (Variation can be done while at computer--reach down & grab legs just below knees, pull towards chest & arch--you may need to raise feet [I use 4x4 blocks] or lower chair).

2) I've had best results with this one, but it's more difficult to describe, so bear with me...
It requires that you be able to rotate your head back, so it must be done either
on a table, firm bed, or (best) in tub with
hot water. Start on your back with shoulders on the edge of table, bed, or tub so you can 'drop' head back with base of skull against edge.
If using table or bed; Draw your knees up (to 45-90 degrees from body), drop knees apart as far as possible, (put soles of feet together), place hands on
tops of thighs. (I sometimes hook my thumbs under waist band or belt). Now push down on thighs while 'rotating' head back against edge. (and pulling or anchoring)---{S, c, & p}
If using a tub; (best with angled end, like old fashion tubs) Start as above. Put feet together (approx. on drain), knees apart (as far as possible),
put hands on thighs (as high as possible), with thumbs in. Put elbows down, and push against sides of tub, (push down on hips), while arching back, & dropping head back, (and pulling or anchoring with base of skull)
{S, c, & p}
The idea is to apply traction to spine from pelvis to shoulders. It can take time to learn which muscles
to use and which ones to relax--hot water seems to help.
Also helpful;
Inverters, G-boots(Do not use friction bars), Roman chairs (Hard on rotator cuffs), and 95 lb women who will walk on your back

As I'm sure any Chiropractor & or Doctor would hasten to point out, you can damage yourself by
applying too much force--so start out slow, & progress cautiously! I have used these stretches for 20 yrs. with nothing but positive results, however, everyone's conditions are different.

Lu7ck
D

Personally I would have it looked at on a regular basis. I see you are in the military so all of the exercising helps.

I know of a guy in my Guard unit who broke his back on active duty but never realized it because of all the exercising. Since he does not exercise every day anymore the problem got worse. Now doctors are saying he will not be able to walk by the time he is 50. This individual was a jumper.

I personally have a slight compression in the lumbar region of my back. If I make several jumps in one day I usually notice it. I am exercising a little more now so it is not really that noticeable.

Hard openings and landings are going to affect anybody.

Hope it helps and as I see you jump at Raeford say Hi to the folks out there for me.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

Just something to think about.
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I have a minor slipped vertebrae in my neck along with what they believe is a slightly bulging disc. I have probably had it for years but until I started skydiving it never really bothered me enough to see a Dr. about it. It feels like tight muscles in my shoulder so I never thought it was anything more than a muscular problem. Both my GP and a chiropractor told me it’s okay to keep jumping but to stop if I feel anything that concerns me. I am getting chiropractic and massage therapy and have seen a noticeable improvement. I also, use a heating pad after a day's jumping to keep the muscles from tightening up. In short, I have a minor spine problem and the Dr.s say skydiving is A okay. Of course I would have opinion shopped if they said anything else. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Might consider trading that Tri for a spectre

Yeah, Spectre has nice, soft openings. One more option would be getting it with Dacron (more elastic and having more friction) suspension lines and brass (lighter) slider groomets. That should make openings even a bit softer (or take a spike out of slammers).

:)

In January 1998 I fractured (compression fractures of 15-20% a piece) ALL 5 (L1-L5) of my lower lumbar vertebrae. 3 left transverse-process bones were left "floating" as a result as well, although I have been told that is "inconsequential". ...Funny though how it is the "inconsequential" that is the ONLY thing that now from time-to-time gets to me :P

Since 1998 I have still averaged more than 150 jumps per year, with relatively no real concerns or any problems. Nope, you're certainly not the only one out there jumping with healed (again relatively speaking) back injuries!

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Ah ... my new Spectre is the most wonderful thing in the whole world.

The opening is so nice. It responds well to the toggles. It flares well. And it's beautiful. The whole thing is soft and fluffy and amazing, really.

Also, my boyfriend broke his back last year, so he's always concerned about hard openings. But he test-flew my Spectre before I bought it, and he loved it too.