TomSpoon

What should PD have named the sabre2

Actually, very few people I've ran into on DZ's still have this thought process. When the Sabre2 first came out 2 years ago that was a common issue, but it seems that PD did a decent PR campaign to explain the differences, at least around here they did because not even the most clueless instructor/rigger that I've ran into around the US did'nt know the differences.

The biggest issue I've seen is the new jumpers that have less then 50 jumps that are still seeking canopy info that don't understand the differences.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ginsu was suggested to PD before they released the Sabre2....apparently they didn't like the suggestion cause they didn't use it.

Sorry... but they could'nt. The Ginsu is'nt the name of an airplane. Accourding to a few factory reps all the canopies are named after airplanes.

Edit since Kolla is so smart B|
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Actually, very few people I've ran into on DZ's still have this thought process. When the Sabre2 first came out 2 years ago that was a common issue, but it seems that PD did a decent PR campaign to explain the differences, at least around here they did because not even the most clueless instructor/rigger that I've ran into around the US did'nt know the differences.

The biggest issue I've seen is the new jumpers that have less then 50 jumps that are still seeking canopy info that don't understand the differences.

Thats nice PhreeZone. Now what's your suggestion for a name?

There are airplanes named Vengeance (world war-ish) and Velocity (funky little thing).
There is even a fun little plane named Katana.

A quick Google search will probably get you pictures of all three :)
Blue ones!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

>There is even a fun little plane named Katana.

Yep, its a nice alternitive trainer for a Cessna 172. :)
And I'll be damned about the Velocity and Vengence. There are actually a few planes called Velocities out there now that I look harder for it. And then there is the Vultee V-72 Vengeance too...

Learned something new everyday! :)
As for naming the reserve... I think "Reserve" is pretty approriate ;)
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

All i know is i was one of the privileged jumpers at SDC and we had the canopies before they were even named (we're so cool at SDC) :P So we referred to it as the ginsu. I guess i just can't get that name outta my head.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Ginsu was suggested to PD before they released the Sabre2....apparently they didn't like the suggestion cause they didn't use it.

Sorry... but they could'nt. The Ginsu is'nt the name of an airplane. Accourding to a few factory reps all the canopies are named after airplanes (minus the Vengence and the Velocity).

How about "Mooney" then? Great airplane (I have one:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Silhouette has me pretty stumped. I've managed to find references to a Lunds Tekniske (or Silhouette) SA-60 Silhouette. (The FAA has an official designator for it, SILH, the same way a Cessna 182 is C182). I'm guessing it's a homebuilt of some sort.

But it exists!

Dave

Just guessing here... Maybe Lund Tekniske refers to Lund Tekniske Hogskola (Lund Technical University) in Sweden. Could be some sort of study project of them. On the other hand, they don't have an aerospace department, as far as I know.. :S And if this were true, why would they bother going through the FAA?
But if PD names their canopies after planes, they should know! ;)

And look here http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/PDSabre.htm for a Sabre in Sabre F-86 colours.

Thats a cool looking one - the old airplanes definitely have a certain charm about them!

Anyhow... since you seem to be into airplanes, maybe you should start noting down cool names - PD is always working on some fun projects, so who knows when we might need a new name ;)

Blooos!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

PD is always working on some fun projects, so who knows when we might need a new name

Well, ya shoulda named the Spectre the "Swiss Army Knife." Cuz it folds up small, and has something for almost everyone. That name also follows the cutlery theme (Sabre, Stiletto, Katana). :D

Does this mean we can expect a big boy or a Tandem named the B-52?

No I think this one would be called the BUFF which has several variations; in civil society it is Big Ugly Friendly Fellow; in military circles it is Big Ugly Fat Fu##er.

Blue skies,

Jim