riddler

Pull the reserve handle?

As we get more and more jumps, quickly borrowing other peoples gear becomes more common.

This is especially true when we start jumping on DZ staff, either as an instructor, video flyer, or whataever. Jumpers frequently borrow gear to make back-to-back loads, for example.

I do not want to be in the position of cutting away and wondering... It would suck to find yourself relying on an RSL out of laziness, because you forgot you were borrowing gear, only to find out this gear doesn't have one.

It's simple. Cuttaway and pull your reserve, every time. It's not like that additional step if dificult, and it might just save your life.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I would totally pull it.

1. mechanisms can fail in ways we've never thought of. I don't want to be the person who reveals a problem for the industry by going in. [:/]

2. new jumpers learn by example -- I will land from a cutaway with cutaway with all handles pulled, lest a newbie think you need not pull them all...

I mean, if you look up and see a quare reserve and haven't pulled your handle yet, there's no reason to pull it, I guess. But I'm not going to wait for my RSL (I have a skyhook on my current rig) to save my life -- that's my job.

When I jumped a skyhook test rig, the skyhook worked. I was under canopy before I could even get my hands on the reserve handle. It stayed stowed, no reason to pull it.
I don't have any such backups on my rigs, so I'll go for the reserve. I do have a cypres, but I think I'll go ahead and deploy the reserve before it backs me up!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Can anyone think of another reason to pull the reserve handle?

God forbid this should ever happen, but what if 2 jumpers open too close together and get tangled? If one of the jumpers cuts away with altitude to spare, would he want to make sure he's clear before deploying the reserve?

?

FunBobby

God forbid this should ever happen, but what if 2 jumpers open too close together and get tangled? If one of the jumpers cuts away with altitude to spare, would he want to make sure he's clear before deploying the reserve?

This is precisely why many CReW jumpers don't use RSLs. They want separation from the mess they just left behind.

The difference for everyone else (ie - not intentionally doing CReW) is that you are usually at a low altitude if something like what you mention were to happen, so you might not have the time to "get away" before you run out of altitude. Also, most jumpers not intentionally doing CReW aren't getting that close to other canopies on a routine basis...

Also, if you have a mal on a CReW dive, it's up high as you open right out the door...thus why it's commonly referred to as a "door mal" by CReW Dawgs...a "mal" generally refers to your stuff not working after running into or being tangled up with someone else. Because of this (much) higher-altitude, the speed advantage of an RSL is not really necessary.

So, couple the facts: CReW = more time spent close (touching) canopies, thus you're more likely to getting tangled. You're opening higher, thus you've got more time to deal with standard malfunctions. You need to get separation from a whirling ball of crap that you just cut away from (and you're probably several or many thousands of feet up). All this results in the scales being tipped in favor of no RSL for CReW dawgs.

Other sport jumpers, on the other hand, are usually lower, with less time to get the reserve out, and without the "ball of crap" following them. Thus, the RSL makes sense.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I don't know, really. I don't have 1600 skydives or an rsl or skyhook.

But, here are my thoughts. You have a cutaway or two, you don't pull the reserve handle because you have rsl/skyhook/whatnot. You have some work done to your rig, .. you borrow someone elses rig. . Now, jumping this new rig/canopy... you go on a ff dive and break a little low. You get into a spinning line twist. Oh, no! better cutaway! So, you do, and you are so used to not pulling the reserve, now you've not even thought to do it. Oh, shit, i'm still falling, pull reserve. . .

Hopefully the end of this scenario is an opened reserve above your head in a safe place to land it. But, these precious seconds are just that, precious. Now, if you'd not ever cutaway, maybe you'd have been better with emergency procedures than had you had cutaways you neglected to pull the reserve handle on.

just my thoughts.

angela.

There is only one answer. Yes.
EP are developed through mental programming and muscle memory. Why take a chance.
If you are too slow and find the canopy over your head before you pull you were counting on the mechanical devise anyway. Look, reach, look, pull, pull, arch, arch, check canopy.
I am amazed at how many malfunctions all these "experienced" skydivers have. Might the problem lay elsewhere?
James 4:8

I think you should have both hands on both handles at this critical point and continue the drill you have been doing (hopefully) before every single jump by pulling them both, in order.

Why drill then change what you are doing at the last minute...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

"some estimates were that he chopped at about 1,800 and was under reserve by 1,200."

I think I might have been tempted to pull the ressie......
I can't help but agree with what everyone says here, I'd be on the reserve handle, but maybe the guy was totally aware of what was going on.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I was told by a DZO if I landed without both handles missing after a cutaway, I would recieve a beating within an inch of my life. Plus, no matter what the experience level, I believe that you shouldn't take chances when you have a malfunction.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

There is ONE emergency procedure for a cut away.
There are two parts.

Pull the cut away then PULL THE RESERVE!

He then showed me his reserve handle still on the MLW and said he didn't need to pull it because his RSL did.

This guy is stupid. He relyed on an RSL. He is a Darwin award canidate.

God: Why did you die?
Guy: I thought my RSL would work.
God: An RSL is a backup right?
Guy: Yeah, but it was not hooked up this jump.
God: Then why did you rely on it?.....Dumbass!

But if you have 1800 jumps, and three cutways, you know what a good reserve over your head looks like. Why waste time pulling the reserve handle if you already know you have a good reserve out?

You should have pulled the reserve before this point anyway.

It makes sense for students to pull the reserve handle in that situation, because they may not be experienced or aware enough to know what's happening, and it's better to give them a procedure that covers all possibilities

It makes sense for EVERYONE to pull both handles.

An RSL is a back up....Thats like saying he should just wait for the CYPRES to fire if the RSL is not hooked up.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you don't pull the reserve handle, then you are relying on the RSL, which is bad. The RSL should not affect your emergency procedures.

Pat Works once wrote that, "it is extremely poor form to 'go in' without pulling one's handles". Embarrassing too.... Now if an RSL or Skyhook is so fast that you're clearly getting line stretch under your reserve, I can see leaving the handle alone and not losing it. But short of line stretch pulling you upright, you have the responsibility to save your own life and nobody but yourself to blame if you don't.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Pat Works once wrote that, "it is extremely poor form to 'go in' without pulling one's handles". Embarrassing too.... Now if an RSL or Skyhook is so fast that you're clearly getting line stretch under your reserve, I can see leaving the handle alone and not losing it. But short of line stretch pulling you upright, you have the responsibility to save your own life and nobody but yourself to blame if you don't.

I think that not pulling the handle even if you feel the reserve deploying due to a RSL/Skyhook, you should still pull it anyway. Not pulling the reserve handle, whether the jumper realizes it or not, alters your training and possibly, your response to the next malfunction. The jumper may delay pulling the reserve handle next time in response to not pulling it on the previous malfunction.

We get ‘programmed’ for a certain response. I recently read an article on a pilot’s transition from ‘steam’ or round gauges to a flat panel display. He had difficulty in finding airspeed, altitude, etc information initially, as he was used to looking at a certain place on the panel and seeing the information displayed a certain way. After a few hours of flying, he began to find the information as quickly with the new display. He was unable to fly for 2 weeks and when he got back in the aircraft with the flat panel displays, he, again, had trouble for a while finding the information as quickly as he was used to with the round gauges.

In a sport where seconds count, we may not have the luxury of waiting to see if the back-up device works.

In 14 reserve rides, I have never lost a cutaway or reserve handle and the cost of a reserve handle should not factor into emergency procedures. It is cheap insurance to pull the reserve handle and risk losing it over not pulling it.

Derek

On 2nd thought, I think you're absolutely right. You never can tell unless you pull it yourself, the practice will do you good, and not pulling for even a fully open reserve can allow a lazy and dangerous habit to get started. I do use a RSL, but will always be pulling, no matter what. Thanks for pointing things out & Merry Xmas!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !