skyhussy

Do you walk across a taxi-way after you land?

hey everyone-

i work at jumptown, in orange, ma and we are having some trouble with faa/gov't regulators because part of our landing area is on the other side of the taxiway from our building, meaning that skydivers have to cross it on foot or by car. We are trying to put a list together of other dropzones where this also happens to show the faa that this is fairly common at skydiving operations. I know this is true at lake whales, deland, perris, for example.

If you jump at or know any other places this happens, shoot me a pm or post. we could really use the help!

thanks!!

At Skydive Delmarva in DE, the landing area is on the opposite side of the runway as the DZ. Jumpers have to walk across the runway every time.

Did AFF1 at Ocean City, MD (which I think is only a tandem factory now), but their student landing area is across a runway. They sent out a golf cart to pick us up. They also taught "runway etiquette" as part of the first jump course (ie, look both ways before crossing a taxiway or runway, and if a plane is coming, kneel down on one knee to let the pilot know you'll wait).

As a pilot, I've once had to do a go-around do to jumpers not looking before crossing the runway at Delmarva. Not really a safety issue...more of an inconvenience. I see no problem with jumpers crossing runways or taxiways as long as they're instructed to be careful. It's no more complicated than crossing a street!

Dave

At Skydive San Marcos in Texas it is not uncommon to have to cross the runway after landing, students in particular.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

If you jump at or know any other places this happens, shoot me a pm or post. we could really use the help!

thanks!!
It really depends on each individual DZO/FBO on how they want things done. I've jumped at a few places that required you to wait for pick-up if you landed on the other side. For the most part, you simply look both ways before crossing the taxiway, and they're okay with that.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A lot of places it depends *where* on the DZ you land. At ZHills the main landing area involves no trekking over anything except the homes of fire ants. Land in the alternate area further out, you could be crossing runway/taxiway.

My memory is a little vague, but I think at SD atlanta I had to cross the taxi way. Lake wales also (again depending on which area you opt to land in).

__

At Hinckley the landing area is across the grass runway from the rest of the DZ facilities. No way to get around walking across it. The runway is shared by a fairly busy glider port, which makes things interesting because gliders on final can be tough to see and are completely silent, not to mention incapable of a go-around.

I think it's also important to note if the airport/DZ is a private or public airport, towered or non-towered.

For instance, at Perris the jumpers cross the runway, but it's a private non-towered airport. While this might not be a big deal at a private non-towered airport, I can see it being a HUGE deal at a public towered airport. I'll go one step even further, what if it was a public towered airport with a ground control? Holy nightmare! I can understand why the FAA might be hesitant in a situation like that, but with a little familiarity I would also think things -could- be worked out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

SkydiveChicago is a private airport, with primarily only skydiving activities. Everyone, however, crosses a taxiway to enter the packing area if you land in the main landing area. If you land in the on-airport alternate landing area, you cross the ramp to get back.
The taxiway is not very active, so some people become complacent, but we do our best to keep people aware.
Good luck fighting the locals, I think you'll win.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

And yet . . . they do exist.

Further, I know some towered airports where it would not be incompatable and I know a couple of non-towered airports where I think it would be a bad idea.

Towers, aren't -always- an indication of the amount of traffic. Sometimes, they're just pork.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Sam

At my home DZ, we get shuttled on a trailer back from the landing area after every jump. It's a pain in the neck and it cuts down on the number of jumps we can do in a day. But our airport is way too busy with GA traffic to have skydivers crossing runways and taxiways. But another local DZ has their skydivers crossing the runway all the time. But it's not a busy GA airport, and most of the airport's traffic is DZ related.

By the way, done any more inner tube jumps lately. ;)

Steve
:^P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Don't think that this will be relevant to you because we are Canada and governed by Transport Canada but we cross a taxiway at the Winnipeg Skydiving Centre as well.

The same can also be said for the Edmonton Skydiving Centre but there the instructor landing area is on the same side of the taxiway as the buildings so they don't have to cross it.

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

At both Eugene Skydivers and Wright Brothers Skydiving the landing area is across the runway. We cross the runway everytime but this is a non towered airport even though its public. A small airport with small private owned airplanes mostly.

Yes we do.. from the peas at the airport you have to walk across a taxiway.. its a private uncontrolled airport and only D licensed jumper are allowed to jump at the airport.. all the others must jump at a field 2 miles east of the airport.

At Al Meyers Airport, where Skydive Tecumseh is located, all students have to land across the runway from the operations buildings. Thus, they must cross the runway when walking back. However, experienced jumpers land on the opposite side, right next to the buildings.

Ogden Skydiving Center in Utah. It is a towered DZ and skydiving is NOT the primary function of the airport. Get along just fine, but we do clear with the tower before crossing the runway. Right now, the particular runway is under construction and is not an issue, but will be again soon.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

At skydive Delmarva, they cross the active runway. Just thought you might like to know.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Hello Everyone, just thought I would post this as you can see I dont post alot, because I dont know alot, but as a novice skydiver and proffesional Air Traffic Controller, I know a little on this one. If the DZ is at a non-controlled field then the pilot of the plane is required to make a broadcast on (CTAF) also reffered to as Common Traffic Advisory Frequency to let all the other planes in the area know of skydiving operations, and crossing runways and taxiways should be no problem because of everyones awareness of the operations. However if the airport is a controlled airport then the ATC facility is required to (sterilize) the airspace in the event of Jumping operations therfore as a controller I know that a jumper will not be carrying a radio to communicate with the tower upon landing so I can expect him or her to walk to where he needs to be after landing unless other preparations have been made for pickup. but if those had been made you would know about them I would think, but just remeber it is called an airport for a reason and it would be in everyones best interest
to look for a landing plane befor crossing any active runways. ;)

If the DZ is at a non-controlled field then the pilot of the plane is required to make a broadcast on (CTAF) also reffered to as Common Traffic Advisory Frequency to let all the other planes in the area know of skydiving operations, and crossing runways and taxiways should be no problem because of everyones awareness of the operations.

I'm sorry. I jump at an uncontrolled airport in Class E airspace and it's way too busy with GA traffic to be letting people cross the runway/taxiway. So this statement isn't really correct. But yes our pilots do announce that they are dropping skydivers prior to jump run and we hope that the traffic is listening and avoiding over flights. But there's always a few pilots (like fire fighting slurry bombers) who feel that they are more important and that's it's okay to fly over an airport with active skydiving in progress. I mean just look at my friend Peter who came about 15-20 feet away from impacting one of these slurry bombers while in freefall two summers ago. But I digress ... each airport is different based on the location and the amount of GA traffic.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

... the pilot of the plane is required to make a broadcast on (CTAF) also reffered to as Common Traffic Advisory Frequency to let all the other planes in the area know of skydiving operations, and crossing runways and taxiways should be no problem because of everyones awareness of the operations.

The jump pilot may be required to broadcast an advisory, but other airplanes are not required to have radios to land at an uncontrolled field or to fly over an active drop zone. Broadcasting on a radio does not guarantee safety nor ensure awareness.

Mark