chuteless

performing backloops

>Sorry...but I believe that if you teach stability....and I mean stability
>through every freefall, you will soon have that feeling down so good,
> so intense, you will automatuically know how to recover from
>ANYTHING close to being unstable.

I gotta disagree there. That's like saying if you practice never stalling an airplane, you will automatically be able to deal with a stall if it ever happens - even though there are issues (like you can't use ailerons) that never come up in normal flight.

You only learn what you practice. If you never practice regaining stability, you'll never learn how to get back on your belly.

>Once you live freefall, you live stable freefall...and if you should flip
> or toss for ANY reason, you will go right back to where you've
> lived....with stability.

If they know how to do that, yes. Getting on your belly after being in an unstable sit has nothing to do with staying stable on your belly; the motions are simply different. If you are trying to barrel roll out of it, for example, you have to do the exact opposite of what you do when you are on your belly (i.e. left arm in does the opposite when you're on your belly.)

If you think the student needs to be unstable while you are there, then tell them to leave unstable. That's when most people are going to find themselves unstable.

I disagree, having been involved in a few funnels that occured long after we'd left the aircraft.

I was attempting to do a little research on this subject.....found some intresting things....but I couldnt find a detailed AFF progression list on the USPA site...could someone plz provide a link to a AFF progression list or sorts?

TY in advance:)

I am not missing the point, I am merely disagreeing with it. If you think the student needs to be unstable while you are there, then tell them to leave unstable. That's when most people are going to find themselves unstable

I disagree with you. I have been on MANY jumps that went to crap after the exit...Hell just this weekend I had a funnel 30 seconds into a jump.

Can you think of a better way to teach a person to regain stability? They already have the diving exit in the program...

What harm does teaching backloops, front loops, and rolls do?

It CAN and DOES teach getting stable. I have had maybe one student ever do a perfect backflip the first time out.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sorry Billvon: An aircraft is a mechanical device. A human in freefall is using natural reaction to combat an adverse action.

Once stability is inherent in a person, it is like walking, you wont ever forget how ( and Im not referring to someone who is paraplegic etc).

Falling stable becomes a natural reaction, once you have done it often enough.

Enough dive outs, will inevitably cause a few rollovers, but you will automatically reach for that position that brings you into a stable position. You will find it fast, without even thinking about "how"

Bill Cole D-41

Sorry Billvon: An aircraft is a mechanical device. A human in freefall is using natural reaction to combat an adverse action.

Aircraft are mechanical devices, but they don't fly themselves mechanically. They are flown by human beings who use natural reaction to decide their control input. The same natural reaction they use to control their body (which could be arguably called a mechanical device) in freefall.

Once stability is inherent in a person, it is like walking, you wont ever forget how ( and Im not referring to someone who is paraplegic etc).

And as Bill pointed out, getting stable is not the same as staying stable. Standing up is not the same thing as walking. The two are very distinct skills.

When people first learn to ride a bicycle the hardest part is getting started... once you're going and have speed it's easy. Same with stability in freefall. My friend had a unicycle once and if I could get going in a straight line I could ride nonstop. I could only get going like 1 out of 20 tries though. :S

When I had to do a backflip on level 6, I lost awareness of my legs and kept my feet on my ass, which had the unwanted effect of me performing about 20 more unintentional backflips. I remember seeing green, blue, green, blue, thinking that I couldn't see my altimeter but the green was getting bigger each time, and the next time I saw it I was gonna pull regardless of stability. Fortunately I got stable (was at about 5.5k by luck), my instructor swooped in and grabbed my arm within a second, gave me a "what the fuck?" look, and watched me pull.

I for one am glad I had to do the backflip. If I could have graduated AFF without it, then I could have been a licensed jumper doing uncontrolled backflips into a Cypres fire the first time something knocked me really unstable.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Falling stable becomes a natural reaction, once you have done it often enough.

Enough dive outs, will inevitably cause a few rollovers, but you will automatically reach for that position that brings you into a stable position. You will find it fast, without even thinking about "how"

I agree...My issue is with the bold (Added by me)

Once it is inherent, once you have done it enough, enough dive outs.....

The problem is not you, Billvon or me needeing to know how to get stable. Its a guy with 6 jumps we are working with.

At 6 jumps you don't have enough to have a "Stable Default" in your bag of tricks.

Making them do things that most likley will make them unstable, and making them get stable again is a way to speed up that "Stable Default" program.

Can you think of a better way other than just experience?

Besides a left and right turn and a backloop used to be one of the ways to qualify for the "A". So you had to teach them anyway.

I think it helps much more than it hurts.

But I would like to hear how you would teach stability to a guy with 6 jumps....And make sure they get it well enough that you are going to sign them off to solo after 7 jumps .
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll will see a lot of friends die...

Ohh...Thats a good quote.

The walk is April 24th....I have rasied a good bit around 250.00 as it stands right now.

Im laying low a bit...Then I'll start hounding folks again.

>Sorry Billvon: An aircraft is a mechanical device. A human in freefall
>is using natural reaction to combat an adverse action.

I disagree 100%! We do NOT have natural reactions to freefall. Our instincts are all wrong. It's natural to reach for grips; that's wrong. It's natural to "stick out our hand to break our fall" when we are landing. It's natural to ball up and protect yourself when you fall; that's wrong when you exit.

Skydiving is about overcoming our natural tendencies to do the wrong thing and create new tendencies to do the right thing. You can roll over in bed by pushing with one arm, but you can't do that in freefall - so you have to learn a new way. And it's not hard to learn, but you do have to learn it.

>Once stability is inherent in a person, it is like walking, you wont ever forget how.

I agree there. But walking does not teach you how to run, or to safely jump out of a tree, or swim. You have to learn all that stuff too. Just knowing how to walk is not enough.

>Falling stable becomes a natural reaction, once you have done it often enough.

I agree. And recovering stability becomes natural as well, once you have done it enough. But you have to do it to learn it.

I disagree with you. I have been on MANY jumps that went to crap after the exit...Hell just this weekend I had a funnel 30 seconds into a jump.

I didn't say people are never unstable halfway through the jump, just that they are more likely to be so just after exit. Can you honestly say that you are in more mid-dive funnels than blown exits?

Can you think of a better way to teach a person to regain stability?

Yes! have them do an intentionally unstable exit.

What harm does teaching backloops, front loops, and rolls do?

There is no harm in teaching solo skills on $100.00 skydives as long as the student recently won the lottery. If (s)he is like the rest of us, however, (s)he is trying to find the money. Backloops can be taught by a coach far more inexpensively. What happens if you task the student to do backloops and they do backloops. Now you have to do another AFF jump because you have not achieved your goal of having the student experience instability. Is the student getting their money's worth? I don't think so.
If you get your student to grab their right leg with their left hand just before exit and hold onto it for five seconds you will be rewarded with a student who had a blast while successfully executing an unstable exit. This is a much better outcome than one in which the student failed to execute a backloop but learned a 'valuable lesson' anyway.
Avoid teaching through hidden agendas.

It CAN and DOES teach getting stable. I have had maybe one student ever do a perfect backflip the first time out.

What happens if you task the student to do backloops and they do backloops. Now you have to do another AFF jump because you have not achieved your goal of having the student experience instability.

Good for them. Just because they have successfully completed the skydive doesn't mean they didn't learn a valuable lesson. They were upside down in a body position they have never experienced before and they successfully returned to a stable body position. Success on this dive under controlled conditions sets up the diving exit, where they are very likely to be unstable. If they do become unstable, i.e., ass over teakettle, they understand they can re-achieve stability quickly because they have done it under controlled conditions. Performing a diving, or unstable exit, when they have never experienced less than optimal body position is a recipe for disaster, and IMO, is setting the student up for failure on the skydive.

Your insinuation that those of us who advocate teaching backloops is essentially a method for monetary gain is insulting and without basis of fact.

I was simply pointing out that even without a reference point or a horizon, one can automatically find stability, once it has been ingrained into one's mind.

Once it is learned, it becomes a reaction that you do without even thinking..like a cat landing on all fours when dropped.

Learn it, and you'll never have to worry about becoming unstable again.

Bill Cole D-41

I see the validity of both sides. AFF backloops are a good idea to demonstrate recovery from an unstable position w/ an AFFI there. However, they are not necessarily vital to survial. I went through a TIAF (Tandem Instructor Assisted Freefall) progression that did not include any backloops or intentional loss of stability manuevers.

I learned how to get stable from instability on my first solo. I exited, saw the plane between my feet, knew that wasn't right, freaked, and got stable just like a cat landing on all fours.

done.

A lot of skydivers went through the same progression I did and I never heard of a problem w/ any of them.

Blue Ones

Bryan

D27808

I didn't say people are never unstable halfway through the jump, just that they are more likely to be so just after exit. Can you honestly say that you are in more mid-dive funnels than blown exits?

No, but it can happen anywhere.

And they can do ONE per jump....The can do several attepts at back loops..Most students get to try two. So they can do an unstable exit, and TWO attempts in one 100 dollar jump...your way for them to get 3 unstable situation that have to pay 300.00 bucks.

There is no harm in teaching solo skills on $100.00 skydives as long as the student recently won the lottery. If (s)he is like the rest of us, however, (s)he is trying to find the money. Backloops can be taught by a coach far more inexpensively.

And what happens it the person freaks out and is on thier back and starts to spin? (Trust me this does happen) You expect a coach to be able to stop the spin, flip them over, get them stable and handle a possible freaking out student?

Bad idea.

What happens if you task the student to do backloops and they do backloops.

I think this has happenind maybe TWICE in my over 8 years of teaching. I pass them. They passed the level.

If you get your student to grab their right leg with their left hand just before exit and hold onto it for five seconds you will be rewarded with a student who had a blast while successfully executing an unstable exit. This is a much better outcome than one in which the student failed to execute a backloop but learned a 'valuable lesson' anyway.

And like I said you made my 100.00 dollar lesson cost 300.00 for the same effect.

To demonstrate loss and recovery of stability, while under the supervision of someone who can intervene if the student gets into difficulty or cannot recover stability.

Above I gave a description of my AFF level 6 where I got "stuck" in a continuous backloop (was flipping repeatedly for about 5000ft). I managed to get stable right around pull altitude, and my instructor swooped in and grabbed me hard as I pulled. On the ground, a little shaken, I said "hey, thanks for helping me stabilize out up there". He said "I didn't do anything, that was all you. There was no way I was coming near you with you flipping like that." This coming from the DZO of DeLand with many many skydives to his name.

So I ask, is it actually possible to approach a very unstable student and save him? Was Bob just fucking with me or was I really on my own? That was 4 years ago and I still remember the conversation perfectly...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So I ask, is it actually possible to approach a very unstable student and save him?

The answer is yes. But it can be very hairy for both JM and student. Most stops on a really unstable student are ugly and usually result in one or both being injured in someway.

Once you are on the higher levels, as a rule, most instructors are going to give you every opportunity to fix yourself. The thought process being, at least on my part, is since you are almost ready to self-JM, you should be able to get unstable and correct on your own. The only time I personally will "save" you, is if it appears you, for whatever reason, are unable to pull.

So I ask, is it actually possible to approach a very unstable student and save him?

Definitely. I'll try to grab a clip from the recent HALO school program that was on TV. Some excellent shots of instructors stabilizing out of control students that are wearing huge rucksacks.

Check out this video to see a student go completely unstable during a backloop attempt, and get some help from a very brave instructor. (Also includes a tandem drogue caught on the instructors foot and an insanely fast AFF student spin... again, tackled by the instructor. Very impressive.)

Dave

So I ask, is it actually possible to approach a very unstable student and save him? ...

Some story - Stopping an out of control flat spin isn't too bad, but someone tumbling? acckkk

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Your insinuation that those of us who advocate teaching backloops is essentially a method for monetary gain is insulting and without basis of fact.

My insinuation was nothing of the kind. The reference to hidden agendas was for tasking the student with a backloop when the goal is instability.

And they can do ONE per jump...

Actually just one for the program usually good. The students who have trouble regaining stability have usually induced it themselves on earlier levels. I use the intentionaly unstable exit only on those who are approaching the end of the program without ever being unstable.

The can do several attepts at back loops..Most students get to try two. So they can do an unstable exit, and TWO attempts in one 100 dollar jump...your way for them to get 3 unstable situation that have to pay 300.00 bucks.

After their exit task, their freefall task could be one of many things including backloops. I just think that teaching the student to correct instability as its own lesson is better than including it in the when you fail at the backloop part. Why don't you try it sometime? Teach the exit and recovery followed by backloop(s). You may be surprised at how your student does with the whole 'being on your back' thing out of the way.

And what happens it the person freaks out and is on thier back and starts to spin?

If they have already successfully dealt with instability this is not likely.
We still offer standard progression where I work (mostly in the winter) and while the problems inherent with it are numerous, students freaking out while trying to do backloops is not that high on the agenda at instructors' meetings.