aliveboy2004

tandems / HIV - PART 2

Well, I’m back. New name - new attitude!! I’ve made it through my first month, and while it might not be considered the hardest (that will probably be the LAST month), it certainly ranks right up there as the most traumatic. I’ve gone through all the normal ranges of emotions and have finally settled down to acceptance and getting on with it. I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and have a T-CELL count of 400 and a VIRAL LOAD of 14000 . For those of you that don’t know, a high T-CELL count is good and a low VIRAL LOAD is good. My T-cell count is acceptable and my Viral Load count is considered to be OK - I was really hoping that it would have been lower though). There is really no reason to start taking any medication at this time, it all starts out with a wait and see attitude. I go back for blood tests again in a couple of months and then about every 3 months after that to see how things change.

I bought a great book a couple of weeks ago – “A Patient-Expert Walks You Through Everything You Need to Learn and Do – THE FIRST YEAR HIV – An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed” by Brett Grodeck. If anyone wants an ‘HIV FOR DUMMIES’ type book, this is it. Got it at Borders Bookstore for $16.00. It so accurately covered every emotion I had been feeling, and trying to find out what to do.

To keep things in this post in the right category – I HAVE DECIDED TO CONTINUE DOING TANDEMS. I am sure that I will be hearing screams of protest from some of you – how can I be so selfish, putting others lives in jeopardy, not caring about other people, etc. BUT everyone that I talked to - that knows anything about HIV, said that short of a catastrophe on landing there is an almost ZERO chance of passing the virus to anyone else. I would have to rub MY open bleeding wound over THEIR open bleeding wound for any type of risk of transmission. HIV isn’t passed through saliva, tears, sweat, body oil, vomit, snot or urine. Granted, if I was assigned a passenger that was oozing stuff all over, I would more than likely turn that passenger down – but then, which tandem instructor wouldn’t. If I have a day where I don’t feel well, I won’t be doing tandems anyway. I won’t be taking any type of medication for a (hopefully) long time, so that doesn’t factor into the equation. I wouldn’t turn down a passenger because (s)he has HIV or AIDS (quiz time – is AIDS a disease that can kill you??). I might turn down a passenger that has some type of infectious disease that could be passed to me by airborne means – but other that that, they are all acceptable. I definitely plan on being more careful – but as I said previously, my normal procedures are usually safer than the other tandem instructors at my dropzone.

I highly suggest that if anyone wants to find out more about HIV (and I really hope that many of you do – especially tandem and AFF instructors), please consider taking a course at the HIV/AIDS Clinic in your city. You might have to be around some HIV infected queer folks – BUT YOU MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING – I SURE DID IN THE CLASS I TOOK LAST WEEK.

I would like to thank everyone that sent the encouraging personal e-mails or messages and for all the good 'vibes' you sent to me. It is really apprecialted. If I ever get to your DZ, I will be buying each of you a couple of jumps. For all those that posted messages to this the old thread, thank you for sharing your feelings - whether they were pro or con. If you don't mind, I will be keeping the forun posted on my two big vital numbers and how things are progressing (or hopefully - not progressing but regressing.)
thanks [email protected]

It's good to hear you are coming to grips with the disease. I've never known anyone with anything even close to that, but I can only imagine the pain. I hope everything works out for the best and glad to hear you are going to continue what you enjoy doing. Keep us updated! Until then...

.-.

(quiz time – is AIDS a disease that can kill you??)

NO

cool, rather good news. Glad you continue with tandems, stay on the happy side.

you sure got positive vibrations. I'll keep vibrating your way.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I love the name change, my friend. Thanks soooooo much for keeping us updated. And for starting the journey with class, well done.

Hugs to you...and congratulations on making the decision. it must've been tough for you, and if you fight your illness with the same courage you've just demonstrated, you'll be around for a very very long time.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hija,

Good change in attitude, I'm not up to speed with patient psychology on HIV precise, but for terminal patients in general; You're doing great! Who knows, maybe you're a lucky and will die of old age before AIDS kicks in. I hope so for you.

quiz time – is AIDS a disease that can kill you??

AIDS is not a disease, it's a syndrome (it's in the name). AIDS won't kill you, it's the common cold that will kill you. Or most likely a yeast infection or lung infection.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I love the name change, my friend. Thanks soooooo much for keeping us updated. And for starting the journey with class, well done.

Hugs to you...and congratulations on making the decision. it must've been tough for you, and if you fight your illness with the same courage you've just demonstrated, you'll be around for a very very long time.

I couldn't have said it better! Good luck and blue skies-- :)

Well, maybe he should hold back on the screwing part... :S
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Until you've stepped out at 30,000 + ft in the dead of an overcast high-wind night, with more than 150 lbs of chute, weapons, ammunition, and equipment while breathing 100% oxygen through a mask from tanks attached to you, with 11 other guys, and going for a very small drop zone over 30 miles away that you've never seen before except for on a map, you haven't jumped...... HALO! ;)

>Until you've stepped out at 30,000 + ft in the dead of an overcast
> high-wind night, with more than 150 lbs of chute . . .

Oh yeah? Well, if you've never jumped at 24,000 feet _without_ bailout oxygen, with 370 other beer-swilling, hypoxic skydivers, over a windy DZ you've never seen before, in a foreign country, through the edge of an approaching storm . . . . if you've never done all that, you're pretty smart, actually.

I'll never forget the briefing about the landing area, done from a picture (of course.)

"Don't land on the north end of the golf course! It has sharpened metal spikes all over the place sticking out of the ground."

"Which end is north?"

"Uh - I'm not sure. I think north is up."

"Where's the spot?"

"Over the golf course."

Until you've stepped out at 30,000 + ft in the dead of an overcast high-wind night, with more than 150 lbs of chute,

until you've jumped with 18lbs of chute, helmet, alti, goggles and sandals, vith 4 girls and 2 videos tracking after you, you haven't jumped :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

To keep things in this post in the right category – I HAVE DECIDED TO CONTINUE DOING TANDEMS. I am sure that I will be hearing screams of protest from some of you – how can I be so selfish, putting others lives in jeopardy, not caring about other people, etc.

Good for you. I think you are contributing to the quality of peoples' lives taking them up and putting your life in jeopardy. There is more to be concerned about skydiving if you ask me!

I won’t be taking any type of medication for a (hopefully) long time...

I believe in the power of the mind, and it sounds like yours will keep your body very sound. Wishing you the best!

Until you've stepped out at 30,000 + ft in the dead of an overcast high-wind night, with more than 150 lbs of chute . . .

>Oh yeah? Well, if you've never jumped at 24,000 feet _without_ bailout oxygen, with 370 other beer-swilling, hypoxic skydivers, over a windy DZ you've never seen before, in a foreign country, through the edge of an approaching storm . . . . if you've never done all that...

considering today's world, we should be giving the props to the military over all else... not that the record wasn't incredible;)

>considering today's world, we should be giving the props to the
>military over all else... not that the record wasn't incredible

I was kidding. Everyone on the record had the option to not do it, which isn't true of the military - and that makes it entirely different.

>considering today's world, we should be giving the props to the
>military over all else... not that the record wasn't incredible

I was kidding. Everyone on the record had the option to not do it, which isn't true of the military - and that makes it entirely different.

;):)

Congrats. And while I applaud your decision, I do ask one question? Do you disclose this fact? I would have no problem making a tandem with an HIV student but I think that I have the right to know.

I would have no problem in a grappling tournament with an HIV+ opponent but I'd like to know.

I'd probably be fine boxing with an HIV+ opponent but I'd like to know and I definitely think bleeding should result in an automatic TKO in my favor.

So my question again is do you disclose this fact to students?