Andrewwhyte

Do you still call the DZ where you learned home?

SkydiveChicago is my home and always will be.
I like the place because my wife and kids can go for a swim, fish, camp, walk to the river or just hang around the Hanger. They have a lot of other kids to hang with too. A real family oriented DZ. No need to go anywhere else.

The place I learned, The Ranch in New York, was merely where I was located at the time. It was great and I'd love to visit from time to time, but it was never really "home".

Being in the military keeps me away from "home" most of the time, but before being sent to Korea I was jumping where "home" really is. I actually have two homes, Skydive Ogden in Utah and Skydive Mesquite in Nevada. They are both "home" to me and always will be.

However, I've had the fortune to visit many DZs and every one has made me feel like another home away from home. Now that I think of it, can I pick the USA as my "home DZ"? and all others as my home away from home?

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I was trained initially as a Military Free Fall jumper, so the poll doesn't really work for me.

But, regarding my "civilian" skydiving career:

-It is the closes one to where I live. (35 minutes)
-I have jumped at the neighbors, and I have friends at both places
-I have been homesteading at Ft. Bragg for almost 20 years - no moves for me! B|
-I have reinvented my "groove" at Raeford a couple of times. :)-I have jumped at the neighbors, and they're not pricks. I was treated to great hospitality.
-My home DZ has never closed, but the neighbors did after losing an aircraft under the original owners. It reopened under new management.
Arrive Safely

John

I'm one of the lucky ones...as far as I'm concerned I have 2 home DZ's - the one that I started skydiving at (SkyKnights) and the one I'm jumping at now (ZHills). B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I started at the Seneca Sport Parachute Club in Seneca Falls, NY back in '74. Between Seneca and the Ripcord Skydiving Club in W. Bloomfield, NY, I worked my way throough the old student progression and learned RW the hard way - 30 seconds at a time, mostly out of Cessnas. Though Seneca did get a DHC-1 Beaver in '76. I moved to the west coast in '78. Ripcord Club went under and Seneca lost their lease at the airport, though the remnants of the old Seneca group have been holding forth as the Finger Lakes Skydivers in Ovid. The Finger Lakes DZO John King was jumping at Seneca when I took my FJC, he was one of the few brave souls to be jumping one of the newfangled squares, a ParaPlane Cloud. There's still a spark of a link in my heart, but I'm really completely transplanted to So. Cal, mostly Perris (1978-80 and 2003 - present) these days.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

No, cos I learned in France and I live in England!! Great dz tho, where the world meet was held last august! Going back 14th June :D:)

Bx
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

What's 'home'? Where I started? Where I train? Where most of my jumping friends are? My favorite DZ? My favorite DZ within a certain radius? Where I voluntarily go when I have an idle weekend? Where I have the most jumps?

Yah, I was surprised by the interpretations. I was originally thinking 'home is where your hat is,' but clearly most people are thinking 'home is where your heart is.'

Perhaps I don't really have a home DZ.

I should have included that option.

Sort of. In the early 90's I received my initial sport training and then jumped a few times at a small Cessna dz in another state, good folks. The training at this place was run by a colorful gentleman who explicated on AAD functionality, stating simply "if you're havin' a bad day, the device will blow'd the reserve off your back and if that fails, why then I guess you really _are_ havin' a bad day, ha, ha ...." Suffice it to say I am a person who requires a bit more technical depth of understanding in regards to survival equipment I am carrying.

A couple of years later I started fresh with the rigorous AFP program at the old Skydive Chicago facility. While I am fortunate to occasionally jump at various other dz's around the world, I consider Skydive Chicago my home dz even though it wasn't my first one.

And FWIW, the Cessna dz I refer to is still going strong apparently, incident-free more than ten years after I made my first jumps there. I'm not knocking it.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Home is where you feel comfortable. I learnt at Topcliffe in England and spent many a happy weekend there watching the rain. I moved down South and was told it later closed. Shame it was a good place with fun people.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I still jump at the same DZ I started at. We try to make it a very fun place. Some video shot on our small 1 cessna DZ can be found at skydiving movies dot com. "the_kids_arent_alright.wmv" I think a log in is required to view movies now.
Look under Miscellaneous, Author Trevor Bagnell
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1425

mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Absolutely!! No matter where my path will lead me - I will always consider the DZ where I learned how to jump - home. The instructors there helped 'mold me' - introduced me to all disciplines of skydiving. They're awesome!:)

Dare to dream and then make it happen!

voted NO... but still call it my 1st... where I got the virus...

started in Homestead, FL, Skydive Miami...
Live in Switzerland
my Home DZ is EPCO (Ecole de Parachuisme de chateau d'oex) www.epco.aero
my second home DZ is EmpuriaBrava (Spain) where I did approx 100 jumps out of 400
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

You missed the option for "Yes, I've moved far away and jump at a new home. but my original DZ is still and always home".

yeah, second that. I learned to jump and jumped for over two years at Skydive Atlanta, but then I moved back up to the DC area. I jump around here a lot, but I still consider good ol' OPN to be my home.