TribalTalon

how many of yall have intentionally stalled a canopy

and i'm talking to the collapsing point, where it turns into a nice big ball of shit. :D reason i ask is last weekend when me and doc steve were fooling around stalling our canopies, when i got down on the ground a guy came to me and asked me if i stalled the canopy often, and i said yes, i've done it maybe 10-15 times (usually try to do it above 3 grand, but that day i was at 1 grand) anyway, the point is that this guy has over 2,000 something skydives, and has NEVER completely stalled his canopy. i think its nice to know exactly where your canopy loses all lift, and what it does in a complete stall. i was just wondering how many people purposely stall canopies on here. :)

I've intentionally stalled my canopy 4 times. Twice after buying it and learning it and twice for part of Scott Miller's canopy course. (I personally will only do it up high >3500.)

Just my $0.02

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

I also have stalled my canopy many times, But Never I repeat Never at or even close to a 1000 feet, I would not recomend anyone doing this, It is too low should something go wrong. This is something that needs to be done above the hard deck. or higher so should something go wrong you have time to respond.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

I've stalled my canopies numerous times. On a sabre 150 loaded at 1.2 I thought i was great fun. On my contrail 135 loaded at 1.6 I decided I wouldn't do that on an new canopy anymore. (after using 4000 feet to recover the shit.. :) ) Now flying at 1.73 and though I keep going to edge every now and then, I won't do a full stall anymore.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I used to do it all the time (after being introduced to it at Scott Miller's course), until I got an airlocked canopy--now I just fly backwards a lot. Stalling is lot of fun, given plenty of altitude to recover, and a smooth even release of input.

Rear riser stalls on an open-nosed breather canopy are cool because you can watch the top skin fall onto the bottom skin as the pilot chute goes over the nose of the canopy, with a little more pressure, poof, the canopy drops right behind you, and you get a little more freefall!

On toggles, you get a mini round as the endcells come around to meet. You get to fly a round, without flying a round!

Like I said, they are a ton of fun.

I will also say that a lot of people don't do these things. As canopies get smaller/more heavily loaded, recovery becomes a little more sketchy.

oh well, keep having fun!

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I've actually jumped quite a number of canopies for my few amount of jumps (38), but I've stalled each and every one of them as a matter of habit. Always do this at altitude, of course. I like to see how the canopy is going to respond while I've got some distance between me and my hard deck. Helps to get a feel for how it's going to perform in subsequent jumps and I feel it prepares me a bit for the unexpected.

Stall it then let one toggle back up and back spin that sucker!

I looked at your profile so I know this works well on the parachute you fly.

Heres a better discription because you don't want to do that from a ball of non-flying spectre. Stall the canopy to the point it either folds or falls off back wards. Let one toggle up and leave the other one down. The canopy will begin go backspin. It will scare you. Pay close attention because you can cause linetwists with too much input.

To get out of it, pull the raised toggle back down and raise the other about half way... then let them both up.

Fun for the whole family.

To answer your question... Yes I've stalled a parachute. You get mad props for exploring the flight characteristics!

Now i'll probably get flamed for suggesting this so I won't suggest it. But if you choose to do it, be reasonable with control inputs so as not to completely trash the canopy. Stay well above your hard deck just in case. The back spin is fun and it's not a new trick by any means.

Good luck!

Edit to add: TJ Landgren can helicopter his Xaos. I'm sure there are others but he's the only one I know personally that is. Maybe one day I'll have the b**** to try it.

By the way.. stop stalling your parachute at a grand you dummy!!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

When I got my canopy I kept trying to stall it but couldn't and ended up having to take two wraps on my hands to get it to flare. After inspection by my rigger, the brake lines were found to be 5" out of spec, so he adjusted for me and now I have no problem getting a nice stall. I like to do this so I know what kind of input I will need for my flare. My canopy isnew to me and I like knowing it. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

All the time on my Pegasus, and Maverick, and Sabre.

I'm a little antsy to try it with the Stiletto and it's load to around 1.6 - so I don't think I'll be doing that! not interested

If someone has intentionally stalled a Stiletto at a higher wingloading, I'd like to hear about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ive stalled my canopy twice in the same decent. I was takeing a canopy class that T.J from or was at Cedertown now he teches at Elloy. Pretty cool even at 10,000. Saber 2 150 1: 1

ive never compleatly stalled a canopy.. personnally it scares the hell out of me... i know where the stall point is but have never been past it..... dont see the point in scareing the hell out of myself...

im also scared of doing tandems... but that is another story...

how many of yall have intentionally stalled a canopy and i'm talking to the collapsing point, where it turns into a nice big ball of shit.

Every one I've owned.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Depending on the traffic, load size, I stall my canopy every jump as part of the my control checks. The canopy will stall a little different in different weather conditions.
Sparky

Darcey,
Good thinking on your part darlin.;)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Darcey,
Good thinking on your part darlin.

Thanks Sweetie, all that good training I got at Elsinore. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I'm a little antsy to try it with the Stiletto and it's load to around 1.6

Done it many times on one at 1.8. Every canopy I've owned I've stalled like the dickens. (fyi, Besides cider... I really don't know what the dickens is)

I have a teeny tiny VX that I haven't stalled yet though. Yikes... :P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'll admit it, I'm a staller. brakes and rear risers. I particularly think the rear risers are fun.:ph34r:

Yeah, me too. Here's a pic from a video Andy Farrington took of a fully developed rear riser stall with canopy collapse (I'm on the right). Edited to add: My rear riser links are at the three rings.

Bob

I have stalled all of them on toggles.
I didnt stall on rear risers till I took the Scott Miller course the first time.

Now I will mostly only stall my xfire on rears cause It isnt pretty on a toggle stall, but I know just how it feels.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I have stalled almost all of the canopies I have flown. Most with toggles (coupla wraps first), some with rear risers as well. I like to know how the canopy behaves in as many situations as I can put it through safely. This being said, I always stall the canopy and finish my "ringing it out" high enough so I am not a hazard to myself or other jumpers.

I have not and will not stall a tandem canopy completely . . . the drogue bridle is so long that I would rather not take the chance of the drogue dropping over the nose, snagging a b-line, then heading back ove the canopy. To me, the benefit is not worth the risk.

I have never owned a completely elliptical canopy (my Sabre2 is the highest performance canopy I have owned), but I would use the crawl-walk-run into that maneuver with that type of canopy, having seen so many spun up canopies result in cutaways. One video I saw was a very low altitude cutaway from a pilot-induced stall-spin. His reserve opened in just enough time for him to land next to a road, barely missing an out building. :S
Arrive Safely

John

Every canopy I have owned... the smallest being a Velocity 96 at 2.5:1... not sure how many times I've done it on any particular canopy, but it is part of my regular procedure with a new one, or a demo.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I have stalled every canopy I've owned and a few that I haven't:D....But Honestly I believe it is a good thing to find the stall point of your canopies(up high that is) that way you know the limits and performance you have before you get put in an ugly situation and are pushing the limits of the canopy so you can land safely.