JohnRich

Unconscious in Freefall, No AAD...

I ran across this old beer advertisement in my pile of old skydiving papers (attached).

The ad copy says (in case the small picture resolution is too poor):
"On October 16th, Eddie Turner had 10 seconds to live. His friend only had 9."

"It was a nightmare at 12,000 feet. Skydiver Frank Farnon was knocked unconscious in a collision with another diver. Instantly, Eddie Turner tucked into a 200 mph dive and torpedoed toward his friend. Said Tuner, 'All I could think about was getting to his ripcord.' He did. Here's to Eddie and everyday heroes everywhere. Buy that man a Miller."
This incident happened in Clewiston, FL, in the late 1980's. It was before modern AAD's were invented. Students used SSE Sentinel automatic openers on their reserves, but virtually no experienced skydivers used them, due to occasional inadvertant firings.

I was on the ground at the time. I remember Eddie, now under his parachute, coming over to land right in front of the building, instead of the usual grass landing area. And he kept yelling something down to us, which we couldn't understand. He was trying to get us to call an ambulance! Frank landed under his parachute, still unconscious. He was taken to the hospital, where he woke up. Frank was checked out by the doctors, kept overnight for observation, then released.

I recall that several other jumpers also realized Frank's predicament and were trying to get to him. Eddie got there first.

Are Eddie and Frank still out there jumping?

How many other saves of this type have occurred, where one skydiver has caught and pulled the ripcord for another, unconscious skydiver, who was without an AAD?

A guy by the nick name "Bobo' from canada did
something similiar, he was an instructor who pulled his students main. The student was in a flipping out of control freefall when he did this and from I gather
he waited to make sure his student's main deployed.
When all was well with his student it was too late for him. I assumed he did not have an AAD. It was a sad story (as always) because this guy was an exceptional person and skydiver who's main concern
was his student. When I reach the pearly gates I will
shake his hand and buy him a beer.

How many other saves of this type have occurred, where one skydiver has caught and pulled the ripcord for another, unconscious skydiver, who was without an AAD?

Andy Peckett was Skydiving magazine's "Skydiver of the Year" in (I think) 1993 for saving an unconscious jumper.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Is this guy stil jumping at clewiston? I could swear I saw him last summer a lot older than apperared in the picture but there is an old timer in clewisto just like him.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I know of one very special guy who posts here who chased down an fatally injured skydiver 3 years ago to deploy something for her. It didn't help her as the impact with the plane had already done more damage than she could survive but his heroic efforts at least kept the dameage from being any worse.

I haven't seem him in awhile but I'd buy that man a beer any day of the year for the rest of his life.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I know of one very special guy who posts here who chased down an fatally injured skydiver 3 years ago to deploy something for her. It didn't help her as the impact with the plane had already done more damage than she could survive but his heroic efforts at least kept the dameage from being any worse.

I haven't seem him in awhile but I'd buy that man a beer any day of the year for the rest of his life.

I got to jump with him this weekend Lisa, he is truly a great friend to have around. Oh, and he drinks Guiness and will be at WFFC;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

A couple summers ago an instructor at SDC pulled for an student who passed out in freefall. Of course, the student had a cypres, so not really the same thing. No injuries, but the student hasn't jumped since. Can't say I blame her.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I pulled for an experienced jumper who was spinning on her back, out of it. She wasn't quite unconscious, but as the old saying goes "the lights were on and no one was home." I found out later she had some head injuries from a motorcycle accident and had recently gotten back into jumping. It turned out she did have an AAD, but I didn't know that at the time, and I never checked to see if she had turned it on (she hightailed it out of there before I could talk to her.)

I am very new to the sport so I always ask 2 people for advice one being our static line instructor , C.I. of the DZ and the man that has helped me through alot of my fears "Roy Hues" and i even almost stopped jumping from them but he talked me trough it . the other man is Francois Goosen who over time have helped me just as much a Roy , they both have told me stories about when they had to pull students cords ,sometime just because they forgot to at pull time but there are other times francois has told me he has had to tackle people in the air to get them stable at 6000ft so he can pull for then , what i'm trying to say is that these people who take up the possition of instructor should at all times be thanked for they get you through the small and great mountains in skydiving without wanting rewards just a thanks at the end and the know that they help someone that day . So to all our instructors in the sport thank you and i only hope that who ever i jump with is as selfless as those instructor cause i know one day i'll need it and that i myself can return the favor to anyone who needs it

15years ago (approx) Mr Hills previous previous DZ in Arizona maybe coolidge? L.O. saves unconcious jumper.

Lots of press, L.O. recieved national award from some aviation group. Sorry the names exact dates, opening altitude (low) escape me.

Serious RWB|

Urban legend? Ask Mr Hill or Brian or some of the old farts.

R.I.P.