peek

What does "World Class" mean?

In recent years, all kinds of skydiving organizations, drop zones, etc. have begun using the term "World Class" to describe their instructors, coachs, load organizers, etc.

What does this expression mean to you?

Does it have any effect on your opinion of the skill, knowledge, etc. of the people described by this expression?

Is there an "official" meaning to the expression, or a formerly "official meaning"?

In recent years, all kinds of skydiving organizations, drop zones, etc. have begun using the term "World Class" to describe their instructors, coachs, load organizers, etc.

What does this expression mean to you?

Does it have any effect on your opinion of the skill, knowledge, etc. of the people described by this expression?

Is there an "official" meaning to the expression, or a formerly "official meaning"?

I doubt there is an official definition, but I'd say it was someone who was reasonably well known and regarded for ability in their field in places outside of their country of origin, as well as within it.

Like nicknames though, it loses a lot of cache when you apply it to yourself. It should be conferred by general concensus, much like the term "steaming asshole" is to the other side of the equation.

Mind you, I know a few people who are both world class skydivers and steaming assholes, so I guess it's not mutually exclusive.

My son was an "All American" athlete in high school. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. If he had been not quite so good, would he have been "7/8 American" or "2/3 American"?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nothing but marketing horseshit.

Was in Key West 2 weeks ago and saw a sunglasses shop set up in a broken down, abandoned service station with a sign proclaiming they had "The world's best selection of sunglasses."

If anyone claims to be world class, world's best or world anything, run away.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I'm going to have to agree with Gareth. To me it's someone that is reasonably well known and regarded for an ability in their field in places outside of their country of origin, as well as within it. But to add to that, to me, it's someone like an Airspeed members or a Golden Knight member. A World Class skydiver is also one that you can approch and talk to. Not like one of those steaming assholes that Gareth was talking about.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Mind you, I know a few people who are both world class skydivers and steaming assholes, so I guess it's not mutually exclusive.

*must resist.......*

I won't. Gareth Holder is a world class skydiver and a steaming asshole.

Note: Humor, and the compliment should cancel out the asshole part.... :$:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

IMO world class to me means folks that can compete at the international level and hold their own against the best in the world.

To the best of my knowledge there's only one WFFC because the term is copyrighted and the owners of the copyright will go to court to protect their property.

Reminds me when I looked into what I was missing by not renting a executive apartment.:S

World heavy weight boxing champion? Which one:S

I'm still confused what sex is, or "is" is or who's on first:S.

R.I.P.

Slug's got it. It's proper usage is in reference to people who are in the "world class" ie, compete for their country on an international level as opposed to a group or class of people who compete on a national level. I guess you could describe that class of person as "national class".

However, it has of course come to be used as little more than advertising puffery.

World Class (Wurld KLass)- Term used by shitty or stuck up dropzones in their radio ads for the purpose of duping first (and only) time tandems into thinking "this is the best dropzone in (insert state here)". This is also known as the "You don't know shit about skydiving so we're going to pretend we're all on a world level of competition to get your money" method.

Edited to add: This definition of course brings an exception to the people who have actually made it to a world meet, and even moreso when it comes to the case of world champions.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I can understand competitors bragging about being "world class," (assuming they competed at the FAI-sanctioned World Championships) and I can sort of understand coaches bragging about being "world class," (assuming they coached at an FAI-sanctioned World Championships) but the concept of instructors being "world class" baffles me.

Yes I have taught skydiving in Austria, Canada, France, Germany and the USA, but nobody ever invited me to "compete" as an instructor.

Does the guy who teaches the fastest win the World Championships?

Hee! Hee!

World Class (Wurld KLass)- Term used by shitty or stuck up dropzones in their radio ads for the purpose of duping first (and only) time tandems into thinking "this is the best dropzone in (insert state here)". This is also known as the "You don't know shit about skydiving so we're going to pretend we're all on a world level of competition to get your money" method.

Edited to add: This definition of course brings an exception to the people who have actually made it to a world meet, and even moreso when it comes to the case of world champions.Edited to add: This definition of course brings an exception to the people who have actually made it to a world meet, and even moreso when it comes to the case of world champions.

and of course those drop zones that really ARE "World Class" in facilities, instructors and coaches...

I love Eloy. B|

and of course those drop zones that really ARE "World Class" in facilities, instructors and coaches...

I love Eloy. B|

Right on. :)
A lot of dz's across the US are using that term as a ploy to make money, kinda like saying "we have the best of this and the most experienced of that or the oldest of this" without these people having any more credentials than a few USPA ratings and friends in high places. [:/] It's sickening.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I won't. Gareth Holder is a world class skydiver and a steaming asshole.

This is true.

I am also a very sexy man.

I don't think you're sexy. You don't turn me on AT ALL.

I can understand competitors bragging about being "world class," (assuming they competed at the FAI-sanctioned World Championships) and I can sort of understand coaches bragging about being "world class," (assuming they coached at an FAI-sanctioned World Championships) but the concept of instructors being "world class" baffles me.

Yes I have taught skydiving in Austria, Canada, France, Germany and the USA, but nobody ever invited me to "compete" as an instructor.

Does the guy who teaches the fastest win the World Championships?

Hee! Hee!

How about an instructor who holds (or has held) a skydiving world record?

Are world record holders world class?

I dunno 'bout you, but when somebody says "World Class" to me, what I assume they mean is that the person has a world record or competed and done well at the international level.

Anything less is just BS.

Fortunately, for me, I actually have access to a LOT of real "World Class" skydivers.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think "world class" is all about benchmarking. It is comparing a person's or ogranization's skill at something to other people or organizations that are considered to be the model for what they do. For competitions or world records, benchmarking is easy. A competition is a benchmark. It's more difficult to benchmark instructional programs. But I'd say when it comes to dropzones, world class is referring to facilities, aircraft, equipment, procedures, and instructors that match or exceed the "best" dropzones out there. A little cessna DZ is never world class because the world has better dropzones to offer. But a little DZ that has the same instructional program and instructors as, for example, skydive chicago, may be considered to have world class instruction. It is of course completely subjective because it assumes that the "best" of whatever is agreed upon.

Dave

IMO

Dropzone's with top notch facilities ELOY, Perris, chicago etc can be rated as having first class facilities. Using objective standards Indoor plumbing, indoor packing, wide open land area, on site good food etc.

As far as the term "world class" refers to jumpers see above. In my limited experience the vast majority of World class jumpers, are also very nice folks, and their competition level speaks for itself.

The same objective standards could be used for defining USPA champs.

Using # of jumps to try and define a person's abilities and qualifications imo doesn't mean much due to may variables.

If I had to chose between:

a DZ with First class facilities & rated instructor's, that has a DZO & regulers & staff with a "attitude"

Vs a one cessna DZ with a safe airplane, pilot, runway and a DZO, staff and regulers with a good attitude with one tree for Facilities I'll chosse the Cessna DZ.

But thats my criteria for selecting a DZ and everyones is different and is correct for them.

The most meaningless advertising ploy IMO used by the DZ's to lure unsuspecting new jumpers, amusement riders etc is the USPA Group membership. Membership without any independent inspection to verify complience with USPA requirements is a "interesting concept" Similar to buying a college degree thru a mail order diploma mill.

This is just my opinion (don't mean squat) and doesn't refer to any specific DZ.s that I have jumped at.

R.I.P.