sunseeker

Newbie considering WFFC

At the moment I have 55 jumps and am hoping to do 5+ a week between now and WFFC. I should have 100+ by August. I've heard a lot about Quincy/ Rantoul and am hoping to join my mates who are going. I'm planning on taking 190 canopy (I weigh 145/150 lbs) to give me plenty of air time to plan my landings. Would you expect someone of my experience to be safe at such a big boogie?
take me higher!

You may get some mixed responses here.. but here's my take:

I went to wffc in 98 with 12 sport jumps, and registered there as a student. I then teamed up with a coach (Doug Park - Deland Magik). I always landed in the quieter landing areas. Never had a prob.

I went again the following year with 51 jumps, and teamed up with the good organizors from tent 3. Again, I simply kept out of the way with regards to landing areas. It was always a longer walk back to manifest and packing, but worth it.

If you are from a small cessna DZ, be extra vigilant regarding traffic, because the traffic at the wffc is mind-blowing, and potentially dangerous.

Disclaimer: I am a low timer, but am simply passing on my experiences.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I should have 100+ by August. I've heard a lot about Quincy/ Rantoul and am hoping to join my mates who are going. I'm planning on taking 190 canopy (I weigh 145/150 lbs)

Those are about the same numbers, same Exit weight and same sized canopy I had when I went...
I think at those numbers, the WFFC can be one of the greatest things you can do for your learning and advancement. The LO's there are superb - They can work with you on becoming a better Relative Worker and help you have the most fun doing it as possible.

As for the Traffic - IMO, it wasn't anything that a person with your jump numbers couldn't handle. I actually felt more comfortable landing in the Spectator area by the Yellow and White Tandem tent, but Even the Main Landing area wasn't unmanageable as long as you follow the traffic pattern.....

Stop by the DZ.com tent - I hope to meet ya there!!!
=========Shaun ==========

What traffic pattern?LOL

From what I witnessed, the main area had a tendancy of bottle-necking, and I saw many close-shaves. I don't know about Rantoul however.

Just for interesting reading: www.deadmike.com

Dont forget to take advantage of the free LO, i think it's at tent #3. They were awesome.

From what I witnessed, the main area had a tendancy of bottle-necking, and I saw many close-shaves. I don't know about Rantoul however.

The main landing area at Rantoul is huge. The student landing area is even bigger.

Dont forget to take advantage of the free LO, i think it's at tent #3. They were awesome.

Yes, yes we are;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

How do you know which LO's to go to? Just walk around until you find the correct tent?

The LO tents are all neatly lined up (we used a string to make SURE they are neatly lined up) right along the road from manifest, directly across from the loading tents. Your welcome book will describe who is in what tent, and the LO's are free. Take the advice that says land in the spectator area, you will get the chance to sign many autographs, and there are free shuttles to run you back to wherever you want to go. Make sure you look up FlyAngel2 or DJan, and get their great advice before you start doing any jumping and you will be in GREAT hands.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

The main landing area at Rantoul is huge. The student landing area is even bigger.

1200 acres is kinda hard to miss. The 'main' landing area near the loading tents, etc (i.e. the short walk) is not the best place to land...Unless it's early and the only plane up is Mike and his pocket rocket. Pick an area away from the main areas and you'll be fine. There are trailers that will pick you up so it's not a big deal landing out. If you land on the spectator side, take a Sharpie with you to sign autographs for the kids. Remember, you might be a 'nobody' but to these kids, you're cooler than lunch with chocolate milk ;)

Tent 3 is the best place to be, at least for your first full day at the WFFC. The organizers will keep you under their wing and tell you the ins and outs of the WFFC. The one unwritten rule is do not open above 3k, unless early in the A.M. (read Mullins' is the only one in the air). There is a lot of traffic at times so keep your head on a swivel.
-----
~~~Michael

Stop by our tent (the free LO tent) and just identify yourself as a newer jumper and first timer at Rantoul. We can set you up with an organizer who can brief you on things like exit procedures, manifesting, landing safety etc and can put together a basic 4-way or something to get you in the air.

You WILL get mixed responses to that Q...however, I was told while still a student "Do Not Go To Boogies until you have your A"...opportunity presented itself at the holidays to go to Eloy Dec 26-Jan2. I debated if I was going to party or finish AFF...MANY advised NOT to finish my AFF during a large Boogie like that, but I did and I have no regrets! I had Greg Foster and Tim Strauss for JMs and am ever so greatful for the experience! Some say not to go to Boogies as a newbie bc of the hangovers, substances, etc...but hell look at your own dz during a typical weekend. Just look out for yourself and others as much as possible and Boogies aren't much difference than your typical weekend of jumping...(I'm sure I'll get some sweet PM's after this post). Good Luck, HAVE FUN!

Boogies aren't much difference than your typical weekend of jumping.

The WFFC is not at all like your typical weekend. With that many airplanes and that many canopies in the air, it can be an intimidating thing for the newer jumper.

To the originator of this post, I ask how's your canopy control? Do you think you can safely land out? Because if you do enough jumping at the WFFC, I can pretty much guarantee to you that you will need to land out on at least one of your jumps. Ask Lewmonst how she feels about landing her reserve in a tight residential neighborhood.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Boogies aren't much difference than your typical weekend of jumping.

The WFFC is not at all like your typical weekend. With that many airplanes and that many canopies in the air, it can be an intimidating thing for the newer jumper.

To the originator of this post, I ask how's your canopy control? Do you think you can safely land out? Because if you do enough jumping at the WFFC, I can pretty much guarantee to you that you will need to land out on at least one of your jumps. Ask Lewmonst how she feels about landing her reserve in a tight residential neighborhood.

yeah... don't forget the 25 mph wind driving me backwards under my reserve over the roads, powerlines and buildings... That sucked. I'm healed and now I have a PD reserve.

I've also almost had a collision under canopy with someone in freefall. It's at the end of the '02 Martini Shot video... great view of his back, line stretch and opening. I was lucky.

It's not just that WFFC is intimidating, it's that it really is much more dangerous than a typical weekend at a typical dz. You have to be very very heads up, all the time. Planes are dropping back to back to back, sometimes at the same time on parallel jumpruns. Sometimes the C-130 is unloading literally 100 people at once, and most of them are headed for the same couple acres of grass in the main landing area. You also won't know most people there, and you don't know how aware the group is exitting behind you to give you enough separation. You can't trust that people will even try to follow a pattern or not do anything stupid over the main landing area. You have to fly defensively. You will land out in Rantoul. It's okay, there are plenty of good outs in 3 directions, and even okay outs in town if you're not trying to land a Dash-M in 25 mph winds. The locals are great. They love us and some drive around all day just picking up skydivers.

Read the guidelines. (Michael - where are the guidelines, I couldn't find them on the website... didn't they used to be posted?) If you don't completely understand them and are confident you can adhere to them, stay on the ground. The minimum is 50 jumps, and while some people have adequate canopy skills and confidence at 50 jumps, some do not. Some do not understand landing patterns, why you can't open above 3k or do S-turns on final, etc... and they will be at the convention, on a load with you, and in your way on landing. You have to be confident with your own skills to avoid them and not get in the way of others.

I'm rambling, but one more important thing this brings to mind. When someone cuts you off on landing, there are 3 types of reactions...
1 - you are shy and don't say anything - for which no one is any wiser.
2 - you get irate and start yelling at them - making them not want to listen to you at all
or
3 - you calmly approach the person and discuss what happened on landing, who has the right of way, what the pattern was and how the potential problem can be avoided in the future.

Obviously 3 is the way to go. Yeah, you might be mad at that person, but take it as an opportunity to teach someone how to be safer, for that will stick with them the rest of the convention and their lives.

There is a lot to learn at WFFC. I can't wait to see you all there.

btw - I'll be organizing the hardware jump (aka femur club) for anyone who has metal in them.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

btw - I'll be organizing the hardware jump (aka femur club) for anyone who has metal in them.

Lew, I've had most of the metal taken out, but still have a couple "cable ties" -- can I still get on the jump?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Sorry..:S that was my perspective from a typical weekend at Mile Hi and Eloy Holiday Boogie, perhaps WFFC is way different. Steve, I've been to a lot of Boogies since student stat and none of them have intimidated me as upjumpers have prepared me that they would.

WFFC is not like any boogie you have ever seen. Eloy Christmas boogie doesn't even come close. Like Lew said, there can be up to four airplanes on jumprun at the same time. Mile Hi doesn't even touch how many canopies you will see in the air at the same time.

I suggest people come, and check it out. Each person is different. I'm a LO out there, and work hard with the low timers getting them comfortable.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

what amazed me at the wffc, was that no matter what time or how many times you looked skywards during daylight hours - you saw canopies.

I recall the jump numbers being something like 60,000 in the 10 days is that about right?

the official number for 2003 was 41,244. 2000 was the big year with over 63,000 jumps in 10 days. You can learn a bunch of things at the WFFC, see more vendors than anywhere else, see people you haven't seen in a year, hide from still more that you are embarassed to see again (from whatever you did last year;)). The WFFC is something like Woodstock. It's something that can only be experienced, but not explained. Sounds like jumping eh?

Lew-
I'm looking for what you're talking about on the prior sites. Will post if I find it...
-----
~~~Michael

Yeah, you know what I'm refering to? Maybe it's only in the magazine they give you when you register... It would be good to have posted somewhere.

thanks
lew

the only people i don't want to see again this year are the people at Carle. :)
http://www.exitshot.com

LO's also all wear WFFC baseball caps.

Not me, I wear a white straw Resistol.

I need to keep from getting my neck burned to a crisp, so I stash the LO hat and put on one with an all-around brim.

A sun worshipper I am not.

Blue skies,

Winsor

At the moment I have 55 jumps and am hoping to do 5+ a week between now and WFFC. I should have 100+ by August. I've heard a lot about Quincy/ Rantoul and am hoping to join my mates who are going. I'm planning on taking 190 canopy (I weigh 145/150 lbs) to give me plenty of air time to plan my landings. Would you expect someone of my experience to be safe at such a big boogie?

The Convention is likely the best place you can be with that experience level.

At Tent 3 our focus is low-pressure skydives. Our goals are to keep it safe and have a great time - everything else is details. The people who jump with us range from students just off AFF (doing coached jumps for the cost of another jump ticket) up to veterans with thousands of jumps who are there to have fun.

Each of the Organizers brings a different skill set to Tent 3, so there is a lot one can learn from jumping with different groups throughout the Convention. We are on the same page as far as safety practices go, and we tend to be injury-free.

What has impressed me over the years is how fast the people who jump with us improve. Some of the people who show up on the first day can't even funnel an exit properly, but they are in the groove in short order.

Once, toward the end of the Convention we were pretty busy, and some guys decided to put something together on their own instead of waiting until an Organizer was free.

When the five of them came back after the jump, I asked "how did it go?"

The answer was "we took the wrong grips on the seventh point, but otherwise it was okay."

A week before they were impressed if they could get a four way together at any time during the skydive, and that now they took success as a given - with them doing the organizing!

The Convention can seem intimidating to someone without a lot of experience, but it may be one of the best ways to get a lot of experience rapidly.

It's also a hell of a good time.

Blue skies,

Winsor