rickjump1

husband and wife jumping together

I once had a mother hand me her baby so she could jump with her husband. I really felt uneasy and wished they would go on separate loads. I would never let my non-skydiving wife on the back of my Harley until the kids got out of school (one is still in college). Do you think it's a good idea for a couple with young kids to jump together, or am I being a little too paranoid?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

It is absolutely not your place to judge. HOWEVER, I would definitely not want to be the one watching the little ones while they jump unless it had been arranged beforehand.

I am a parent and I don't believe in restricting one or the other parent because we have kids. Why didn't you let your wife drive the harley while you stayed home with the kids. . .

Very archaic. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Why didn't you let your wife drive the harley while you stayed home with the kids. . .

Stop me if im wrong, but i get the impression that he ment more like jumping on the same exact load at the same exact time....or riding on the same bike at the same time...the risk of both of them getting killed at once. Not that she couldnt play cause he was, but limiting the risk of loosing both in one accedent.

No i do have to agree, that is something that the parents needs to decide, not what everyone else thinks they should do.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My parents had friends with kids about my age, and we went on vacation with them to Hawaii. My entire family and half theirs flew on one plane, and the other half of their family flew on another.

My parents were willing to risk having the entire family wiped out in one crash. Their friends were not.

People make different decisions.

I am sure it is rare today for husbands and wives not to take commercial flights together due to the danger, but this happened back in the day when the passengers applauded every successful takeoff and landing, and you wore your church clothes to fly.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Its up to the couple.

Yesterday, I offered to watch my friend's kids so she and her boyfriend could jump together, since they hardly ever get to do so because they're very conscientious about always having someone on the ground with the kids to keep them out of trouble and off the runway and such. She hadn't planned on jumping that day and didn't have her rig, but we made arrangements for next time. Its all up to the individuals involved.

It is ultimately their decision. I understand. Back in the 60's a family went on two different airplanes to the same destination to avoid the unthinkable. The unthinkable happened. My post is just to make people think. As for the Harley(earlier), I tried to get her to go through a motorcycle safety course. Like skydiving, she said no. She does like skydiving and Harley shirts.

My wife and I jump together a lot, but only out of safer airplanes with pilots we trust (no twin beeches). Pretty unlikely you'll both bounce together, although it could happen, but a bad plane crash could make our kids orphans easily. And for those parents who never fly together commercially, I have to ask. Do you always drive separate cars, since that's about 17 times more dangerous than flying?

It is absolutely up to the couple . . . we have no way of knowing what their personal situation is.

Personally, I am married with two kids. I took my wife up on a tandem this past Saturday. Being in the military, I have plans in place for all of the possible death scenarios.

The bottom line is: I am comfortable with the level of risk. Some people are not. I respect that. Couples come out to make tandems . . . some jump together, other use the "tactical cross-loading" approach taking separate lifts. I am glad to accomodate either one, but I won't make the decision for them if asked "what do you think?"

Good post!
Arrive Safely

John

I see nothing wrong with both parents on the same load.

In fact, the next time my SO does a tandem my daughter is going to ride as an observer. So all three of us will be on the same load. Of course it will have to happen in the Otter and Stretch will have to be the pilot. ;)

Watching them both get on a Cessna 182 late in the afternoon after the mom asking me to hold their infant child made me paranoid and uneasy. I understand it was their decision. I didn't like it, and
still don't, but I as you said, it was "their" decision.

Gee, maybe I'm a little hard hearted. I don't think it's appropriate for kids to be at the dropzone. They might encounter someone like me.

As far as the unthinkable happening...There are plenty of kids with two parents or one parent that shouldn't be allowed out of prison. And others with no parents who do great things. Have fun, and let them be orphans.

Gosh, am I really going to post this?

I am not sure what to say about this one other than geez whiz! If you are that unsure of jumping that you think the man upstairs is going to claim you at some point, you need to quit! My first marriage ended because after my son was born, my wife thought I should give it up(she has about 500 jumps). My second marrige is going very strong after 10 years, because we sat down and talked about this. Having confidence in each others abilities and little faith goes a long way! Our daughter has grown up around the DZ (nine now). She grew up thinking everyone skydived, she started realising about 5, that her parents do something that others only envy about.

I know I am rambling, but have a little faith in life! Not allowing ones wife to ride in the same plane as you........wow.....find another sport, you have very little confidence in this one!
blue skies,

art

Funny you should mention the twin beech thing.

I struggle with this constantly. I jump at a King Air Drop Zone. Last Saturday, my husband watched my daughter while I made a jump.

Then on the next load, he was asked to fly the load so the Pilot could do a Tandem. I was on that load. So I turned to my trusted friend and said. My sisters name is Alyce and her number is in my cell phone. She was all good with that and knew exactly what I meant.

I rarely get on a plane with my husband, but when he's the one flying it, I feel pretty confident.

I don't have a standard rule, but I make case by case decisions all the time. In car, planes, boats, etc.

It's called being a parent I guess. Some parents are just a bit more active than others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Rick--I hope it wasn't me that you're talking about. I don't think so, but maybe.... :S

It makes me uneasy too, and after getting use to the idea of having a child which may have taken me longer than some, I came to the same conclusion as you. It makes me REALLY uneasy for me and Jesse to be in the air at the same time. I won't be on the plane with him, and I really don't understand how others can make any different decision. But eventhough I don't grasp it, I do try to respect others' abilities at parenting, and their decisions.

Please just tell me it's not me....[:/]

Your OLD friend~
Lindsey

My husband and I don't jump together right now, but it sure is tempting. Once I get off student status, we may reconsider. We have all of the appropriate paperwork in place should anything happen, although it is more likely that we will get wiped out in a car wreck on the way to the DZ than anything that might happen there.

If you as a skydiver are so concerned about the, plane, load, gear...etc., that you would not get on the plane with your SO or spouse...you need to a) find a new drop zone , or b) take up a new hobby.

My husband and I have been jumping together for 13 years. The only time I have had misgivings about jumping together was at a DZ (now defunct) whose airplanes had a habit of stalling. We both eventually chose to find another DZ.

I realize it is difficult to find sitters all the time...but my feeling is that the DZ is no place for children. To much stuff to get injured on and with. Not to mention most people go to the DZ to play. Not to watch other peoples kids (but that is a whole nother subject)

I would be more concerned about the fact the mother handed over her child to you to watch than the fact that she and her husband were jumping together.

My wife and I do this quite often. I'm OK with it. So is she. Our son is 2 and it would really suck for him to lose either of us, and especially both but:

We drive together, fly together and jump together. We have plans if the worst should ever happen but we're damn careful to not let it happen.

Bottom line, it's their choice. If you don't like it - don't watch their child. Have someone else babysit.
illegible usually

I agree with Brian, with one exception. If kids are under constant and direct supervision, I don't see a problem having them at the DZ. Unfortunately, I usually don't see that - I see them running around in front of the cars and airplanes and tripping over everyone's lines while they are packing.

I hope they at least bought you a jump for doing a little babysitting ;)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I pray I don’t get bashed for this. I do see where one would consider themselves making a responsible decision for their child/children when boarding a plane to go skydive. However; what is the real likelihood of a jump plane going down with you both on it, or even an accident to both of you during your skydive? Are there any statistics showing spouses orphaning their children in the sport? I for one am a single mother of an 18 yr old who is leaving for college. It would devastate her if I died…but, this sport is not about death. I was run off the road by a drunk (head-on) while driving to the DZ. This could happen anywhere. The way I see it is that God has a plan and I trust him with it.

I have to travel quite often as well, should I not board a commercial flight in the wake of terrorism – or even mechanical failure?

Don’t get me wrong…I respect your decisions not to fly together, but I wanted you to see things through the eyes of a single mom.

My husband and I both skydive and we have a daughter and a babysitter that we bring to the DZ. If our sitter isn't available then one of us sits on the ground. It's not often that we are on the same loads since I enjoy 8 way and he likes accuracy. We trust our DZ to take care of the planes, etc. If we didn't we would find a new DZ.

Rick--I hope it wasn't me that you're talking about. I don't think so, but maybe.... :S

No. It was somebody at Pecan Grove years ago, but now I realize I watched your baby too. I guess I'm turning into a piece of quivering protoplasm with this grandfather shit. The original question should have been more specific; maybe parents/guardians of the child?