fundgh

Otter Capacity

The maximum usable load for an Otter is 4400 lb. Given a light fuel load (w/ reserve) of 1000 lb (max is 2500), a 150 lb. pilot, that leaves 3250 lb of jumps. At 160 lb. per jumper (w/ gear), which is light imo, that gives 20 jumps, which is a common number for DZs, but I have heard of 23 jumper otters before. This also doesn't take into account weights and balances, I would imagine as you stuff more and more jumpers into an otter the CG would work more and more aft, so that is problematic.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

The maximum usable load for an Otter is 4400 lb. Given a light fuel load (w/ reserve) of 1000 lb (max is 2500), a 150 lb. pilot, that leaves 3250 lb of jumps. At 160 lb. per jumper (w/ gear), which is light imo, that gives 20 jumps, which is a common number for DZs, but I have heard of 23 jumper otters before. This also doesn't take into account weights and balances, I would imagine as you stuff more and more jumpers into an otter the CG would work more and more aft, so that is problematic.

Our Otter can haul 23 to altitude..... quickly....out of a dirt/grass strip.....on a hot day....quickly.....

Buck

In a -100 or -200 Otter your max gross takeoff weight is 11,579 pounds. An empty, stripped down Otter's empty weight is about 6,000 pounds. You must look at YOUR specific otter to find what it will actually hold.

If you have a -300 "Super Otter" then your max gross takeoff weight is 12,500 pounds. Your empty weight for that aircraft will probably be more than 6,000 pounds.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

At 160 lb. per jumper (w/ gear)

Hahahahahahaah! shaahahahahahahahahah
hahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!1

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

cant....breathe.......

hAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

sorry.

Havent weighed that little in 30 years when I was 10.
__

My mighty steed

He must have been referring to Europeans. If you are calculating for fat Americans, you would probably need to use an average of 220 lb. per jumper.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

He must have been referring to Europeans. If you are calculating for fat Americans, you would probably need to use an average of 220 lb. per jumper.

Hey, I'm 220 OtD and I'm not particularly fat. I just have big canopies.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Hey, I'm 220 OtD and I'm not particularly fat. I just have big canopies.

I'm 225 OtD but I'm 6'2". Most of my co-workers couldn't do a tandem at my DZ even if they wanted to because they are over 210 lbs. WITHOUT gear.

I predict in a few years used RWS Sigmas will be in big demand as SOLO rigs, and the Sigma II will be available with canopies ranging from 500 to 650 sf.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I predict in a few years used RWS Sigmas will be in big demand as SOLO student rigs

One change and I think you're right. Except the Sigma doesn't convert to a standard rig well. Old Vector 2 tandems are perfect for this.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You can put more in if you make them stand up at the front of the cabin like we had to do in old Beech 18's.:o

Seat belts were not used and it was a really uncomfortable spot unless you were quite short.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have used actual weights when in doubt flying a 182. Does anybody do that? I am hauling some big guys,and when it's hot I'm refueling after each load.

I've done it...but you shoulda seen them bitchin...B|

I once took the Cessna to SD San Marcos for a boogie. Wouldn't ya know it, I was stuck flying the 4-way comp RW team called....you guessed it....."The Whales"......

I was scared to figure the W/B....!!.B|

Buck

P.S. Rick, just got back from flying a few ILS/GPS approaches into Galveston in an S-76.... (ok, it was an extended engine rinse, but fun, fun..!!.)

Old man Sikorsky sure makes a nice aircraft. Flies like a dream doesn't it.

Ya'll got your S-76's back up and flying? I read the report....

And yes, yes, yes.... it is a smooth ride..! I still have that fixed-wing mentality though... final approach just seems soooo slow, crawling along just above ETL.....

Buck

Hahahahahahaah! shaahahahahahahahahah
hahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!1

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

cant....breathe.......

hAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

sorry.

Even little ol' me is 185# out the door! (yeah, I wear lead...:P)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon