sum1mom

Newbie Sucky Exits

Yes! It took me many jumps to get a good diving exit. I know a bunch of other students at my home DZ who have the same problem. At least if you're like me, you'll learn how to get stable real fast following a bad exit - that's a good skill to have.

I did a divng exit today that looked really, really, good............if I were only a stuntman. I just couldn't help my real instincts to dive into a pool and keep those legs extended!! Flip, flip, flip!!:P

WEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEE!!!

Couldn't stop laughing for the rest of my jump.

Big flappy smiles!!!

Have many of you suffered through the exit syndrome??

Hell, sometimes I still do.:$:)
It happens to the best of us at the worst of times, I promise. Just keep arching!B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You grew something on your face today!! You dont look so "sweet and innocent.":ph34r:

Anyway...Yup I need to remember to arch when I leave and to quit "JUMPING FROM THE PLANE."

Hopefully, the weather will prevail tomorrow and I can pretend that I don't need ridillin <>.

Big Flappy Smiles!!

What plane(s) are you jumping from?

There were two Skyvans at Skydance for the boogie and doing a step back drop from that is about as easy as it gets. No prop wash and no horizonal momentum. A tad easier than the side door exits of the otter, and so much easier than the sitting exit from a C206.

For fun I just leaped out for the second one and did the forward rollover.

Keep at them. I keep trying to tell myself to focus on a point towards the horizon, but I think I've managed to forget that every time. I at least recover pretty quick.

Gawd my solo exits are atrocious!! I hate to PW this, but man, I just keep blowing them! :o:$

Have many of you suffered through the exit syndrome??

Big smiles!!

Welcome to my world. I can't gve you exact number, because my logbook isn't here, but I sucked at my exits between about jumps 10 and 30.

I learn't by SL, and after my 12 s delays, i went into a legkicking problem and I just couldn't exit properly. They tried everything. Poised exits, hanging exits, dive exits, linked exits... I could recover really quickly and carry on with the skydive, but I couldn't nail the exit. Then one day I did a poised exit and everything just clicked. I havnae looked back.

Stick with it. You'll get there.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Start by understanding the relative wind. Close your eyes and imagine the wind coming from directly in front of you. Now relax and arch into it, standing on your feet. Notice that you have "presented" your flying surfaces, with your pelvis as the only low point, to that relative wind. The relative wind always comes from that direction on exit.

Exits are more feel than mechanical (arms here, legs there, etc). It's a matter of understanding that your flying surfaces will initially be oriented forward rather than down.
Then relax and just feel that wind and fly your body through it.

From my experience, most people that are really having problems with exits are just plain trying too hard. Smile, relax, and use the relative wind to your advantage and you'll be "cooking with gas!"
Arrive Safely

John

Oh man i sympathise with you on this one!!! I also suck on exits :-) Aff one was a great exit but now four levels later i blew every one,instructor writes every time, level two, de arch on exit and unstable good arch to recover,level three de arch on exit,very agressive but good arch to recover, level four better exit but dont be so agressive,,slow down breath out and relax into it and push yuor hips out like you want to make love to the wing ha ha ,he's a funny guy,just gotta keep it going till i find the right feel then it will click into place i guess,mind you being six foot two and stooped under the side door of a LET410 dosent help i think as i am in a de arch before i start, best of luck on ya next exit.
markymark

My exits are starting to improve. I used to SUCK! One thing that helped was getting 2 videos done. It's strange but, for me, when I actually saw myself do it, it was easier to change. I had a tendency to "swim" a little and move my legs. After the video, I became more aware of it.

In the end, the only thing that helped was practice. It will come with time. Keep working at it. You'll get it. :)
B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

There was a time when I didn't think I'd ever do a stable exit. One thing that really helped me in the beginning was when someone told me to look up at the plane after I exited. Just keep practing. You'll get it!!

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

My first 2 freefalls - This thread couldn't have come at a better time. It is encouraging to know I am not the only one bothing my exits. Oh and it isn't in that post but on my second freefall I flipped out of control and couldn't get stable so I pulled while on my back. Hope to get some better exits this weekend, been practicing my arch on a foot stool at home.

Greenie in training.

greetings

what's really great is when you take a friend out for a first-time tandem, you jump right before them, and the videographer films you swimming around like a fish on exit - preserved for your friend's entire family to see over and over again on the video... a source of laughter for years...

:)

not that it's ever happened to me or anything...

;)

ciao

-dan

If your exits don't improve, you can always learn good excuses. My personal favorite ti I got caught in the wheel burble of the otter. I'm sure there are others.

Practice, you'll be fine. I make an effort to have a nice stable exit on every dive. My instructors drilled into me that it is a very important skill to have.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Practice makes perfect…well almost. Bad exits will always happen on occasion. Here is a picture of a team at my DZ with probably an average of 4,000 jumps (plus or minus). It’s originally entitled “Not my day!” I keep it around as a reminder that it happens to the best of us.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just gotta nail a solid arse exit for my dreaded hop-n-pop.

I tumbled the exit on my hop 'n pop too :$
Didn't eat much altitude though. I was still subterminal when I dumped. Nice buttery slow opening :)

this was my worse nightmare, I did my 4solo (aff)
at 13,5 and didnt get stable until about 8k, scary
shit and it was all due to my exit, then one day @
the DZ some guy Kip Lohmiller asked me what was
printed on the bottom of the plane... Bingo....
I will remember that for the rest of my life. Get out and look up and you will arch weather you want to or not. And it's cool to watch the next guy get out, then you gotta look elsewhere for others in the sky. That first 4 or 5 seconds is the key and if u feel like your going unstable again.. look around for others then look up. Hey it worked big time for me .

As for all who are reading this, I just added my .02
because of my own experience . I am not qualified to offer advice. Some learn by others mistakes