hWalker

Skydiving vs. Career

Is it possible to make a successful career and do over 10,000 jumps in one life? I mean, can you concentrate on something else hardly when you are into skydiving and it seems like there's no way out B| ?

What do you think, people?

I'd say, mathematically, you could have a weekday career and make on average 6-7 jumps a day on Saturday and Sunday. Thats roughly 13 jumps a weekend, 676 jumps a year, which would take you roughly 15 years to make 10,000 jumps, definitely possible in a lifetime. So, if your career makes enough to let you afford 13 or so jumps a weekend, and your dropzone is equipped to let you do that, then its definitely possible. It would be hard to make that many jumps on average, but its still seems very possible within a lifetime.

It is possible but it is going to depend on the jumper and the drives that jumper has. Many people would be happy just jumping but many others need more challenge or goals to strive for and shoot for. It is going to vary between people

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

been wondering the same thing myself.... not enough time in one life. i do construction and work in a bike shop at night, and some weekends it rains. i don't care about # of jumps.....but i see myself flying and feel it. but ned more experience to get there.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

you could have a weekday career and make on average 6-7 jumps a day on Saturday and Sunday. Thats roughly 13 jumps a weekend, 676 jumps a year

That'd be nice to live in a place where you have perfect weather every weekend for 15 years....

Oh wait, I forgot about Eloy. Nevermind...:D
=========Shaun ==========

Sucess is in the eye of the beholder. What kind of digits are you looking for? The kind behind a dollar sign. The kind in your log book. Or the kind on the fun-o-meter?

I truely think that anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'd say, mathematically, you could have a weekday career and make on average 6-7 jumps a day on Saturday and Sunday. Thats roughly 13 jumps a weekend, 676 jumps a year, which would take you roughly 15 years to make 10,000 jumps, definitely possible in a lifetime.

If you live/work in the right spots, you can get in a jump or two after work during the summer. More if you're set up to work a more flexible schedule.

Sadly, not true for me. No after work diving above or below.

Sucess is in the eye of the beholder. What kind of digits are you looking for? The kind behind a dollar sign. The kind in your log book. Or the kind on the fun-o-meter?

I meant to say that any activity in life requires a lot of commitment if you've set goals and really are striving for their accomplishment.

a) for example, what does it take to become a well-known politician? Probably every single moment since you're in for it. The same with businessman, international organization leader, actor and a lot more.

b) 10,000 jumps for me means a successful skydiving career. That is lots of hard work, competitions, medals.

Are a and b compatible in one life?

I received a yearly evaluation that had all positives and in the "Things to Work On" area my boss printed, "nothing at this time."

At that point, he proceeded to tell me that he understood what it was like to be reltaively young and free, but that he didn't believe a time consuming hobby such as skydiving and teaching were compatible. He felt I should focus on my career and school (I'm also a full time grad student) and that at this time, he fel that I should give up skydiving for more important things.

I just stared at him without being sure how to respond. Never once has jumping interferred with my job (I get done at 2:30 anyway, so if I really want to jump on a workday, I just drive the 20 minutes after work). My evaluation was flawless. Apparently, the outside wuffo world would assume that you can't successfully skydive and have a career.

Just my 2 cents.

At 1700 jumps a decade I figure I'll get to 10,000 when I'm 80.

If I could keep up my 375 jump per year average, I'll need 24 more years and 8 months to reach 10000. That will make me 65 years old (retirement time for the whuffos) when I make it. But I doubt this will happen (without cutting away) as I can't see myself having that sort of income to spend on skydiving for all those years. But who knows, if I do some fixed object jumps with my skydives, I can keep my averages up high where they've been so far. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over