mccordia

sick whuffo comment

I was talking to a guy I'm doing some (3Danimation) work for.
He knew I jumped (although we had never talked about it before)
We just talked about much work he had supplied the past weeks.

It was just a normal conversation when all of a sudden, completely out of the blue he just flashed an evill smile and sayd.."haha...and while you worked there where already 3 dead people skydiving...serves 'em righ"

I just responded with a shocked "Excuse me?"

He then AGAIN sayd the same thing, trying to get a laugh..
But the serious/hating way in which he sayd it was realy upsetting...real serious..scary

I just walked away. But I realy felt like hitting him on the face....what kind of sick behaviour is that?

I've known those 'funny/scared' questions (what if it doesn't open/can you breathe in freefall blablabla), but this sick enjoyment/hope for people to die is just upsetting..
Anybody else ever got comments like that?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Punching someone only results in very transitory satisfaction at best. I'd engage him in conversation to get the story. I wonder if he has ever lost anyone he loves? His comment is kind of like telling a dead baby joke in front of someone who has lost a child. At the very least he needs some sensitivity training.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Punching someone is something I'd never do (not for something like thisB|)
But it just left me wondering how someone could get so much sick enjoyment over people dying in some sport..

And if it had been a conversation that had been leading up to skydiving as a subject, I might have understood (a bit)
But it almost looked like he just wanted to make that comment regardless of the subject...

"haha..someone died!!"???

sick
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've gotten that quite a bit. I've had students actually ask me if I "was there when that guy went splat"

I tell them that it was a freind of mine and that it's not a polite way to ask and they usually apologize.

Often the students are nervous and don't really know how do address the situation so they attempt to make light of it. To them it's not real, to us....

They're not trying to be malicious, this guy may have really wanted to know about skydiving safety and was just tactless. Although that was quite extreme and I'm being very generous!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

oh yeah, it also burns my ass when some whuffo tells me that someone I knew obviously commited suicide. THAT is a real insult to their memory!
It's also the only time it almost came to blows!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Some people have teeny, tiny little lives, and are jealous of anyone who lives like we do, living life to the fullest. They then take secret pleasure in our misfortunes, and want to rub it in a little. The Germans have a word, schadenfreude, meaning delight at another's misfortune. Yes, it's sad, it's sick, and walking away is the best thing to do.

There's also morbid curiosity, a thing that even Socrates ( I think it was him) addressed. That's just human nature, and most people, when they hear what happen, seem to be genuinely sorry about your loss of a friend.

At least, that's what I can figure out after about 3 decades of this. Sucks, don't it?[:/]

you know its not that different to the comments I received from skydivers after getting injured BASE jumping - I went to the DZ and some comments from experienced skydivers are "well what do you expect" or it "serves you right". There reaction to dead BASE jumpers are generally the same..............and I would expect more from a skydiver!

its all relative my friend - one persons madness is anothers sanity......................

Hi McCordia

IMO folks like that are into power& control, & have a bully type personality. To bad there's lots of them all over the place.:(

You were discussing how much work you all had been doing for him and then he tries to "get you" with a cheap shot.:o

The good news is your only doing contract work, don't have to see the "little man" every workday for years and can minimize you exposure to the jerk by using correct administative procedures.:)
IMO another reason not to let folks you work with know what you do on your own time.:|

R.I.P.

I had a guy that I work with ask me, "have you ever seen anyone bounce, HA HA HA" I WENT OFF, and had HE been a SHE, I definatley would have went to blows. i started barraging him with evil questions and he finally got he picture. He apologized and is coming out for a tandem in 2 weeks. ;) so I guess it worked out. I think you should say something to people the second that they say something outta line. I find that people respect me for it cause they always know where I stand. -and if you say something they hopefully will be more sensitive next time they think it would be a good idea to act/speak like a jackass.

Man, why even bother with whuffos. They don't get it and they never will. I wouldn't even bother letting him know what an idiot I think he is.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

the comments I received from skydivers after getting injured BASE jumping - I went to the DZ and some comments from experienced skydivers are "well what do you expect" or it "serves you right".

That is not cool at all, and I too would expect more of a skydiver >:( It just proves that people are afraid of what they don't know/understand. That applies to us skydivers too unfortunatly [:/]

you know its not that different to the comments I received from skydivers after getting injured BASE jumping - I went to the DZ and some comments from experienced skydivers are "well what do you expect" or it "serves you right". There reaction to dead BASE jumpers are generally the same..............and I would expect more from a skydiver!

Many skydivers aren't much better when it's a skydiver that dies. And you'll find similar people on motorcycles, mountaineering, cave diving, etc. It's the reaction - 'oh that accident doesn't apply to me; that person blew it.'

I know I don't deal with death particularly well - hopefully I'll continue to know to keep quiet than to blurt something really stupid and insensitive.

If one is on the receiving end, I think it's best to immediately correct that person, but then to let it go.

yes it does apply to skydivers - even more so I think....................

I have had more negativity in regard to BASE accidents and deaths from skydivers rather than whuffo (skydiver whuffo) non parachutists..................so what does that tell you about skydivers???

this sort of post dissing "skydiver whuffos" reallly does annoy me - as the most "whuffo" person I ever meet is always a skydiver!!!

hypocrites.......................

"IMO folks like that are into power and control & have a bully type personality."

As well as low self-esteem! Just some sorry little person lacking in 'back-bone' angry with themselves for not having the guts or gumption to 'test' themselves. I'd ignore the little jerk and never mention skydiving again.

Chuck

It 's really weird how some people's brain works regarding skydiving/skydivers...! WE might joke amongst ourselves to let off steam- But when it comes from non-jumpers- it can be aggressive and hostile.

I was gonna have some neighbors(/friends?) come to my dz to see me jump but they and their kids kept laughingly saying, "What if you splat?!" As if I was some cartoon character or something. They knew what they were saying and the implications. They just didn't care.

Of course, I changed my mind about them coming to the dz with me!