freefalljason

Traveling American Airlines with rig

I will be flying American Airlines out of Nashville,TN (BNA) next Tues.

I spoke to a rep on the phone this evening and she told me that they do not want any rig on the plane that has a propellant in it either checked or carry-on.

She didn't know what "propellant" meant or why they restricted them.

She said I should contact the TSA and gave me a 1-800 number to call.

I was wondering if anyone has flown with them lately and had any problems carrying on a rig with a CYPRES.

I will be flying in to Las Vegas, NV (LAS).

Thanks,
Jason

Did you do a search on it?

Your search for rig travel returned 335 results in 0.31s.

There's a letter from the DoT stating that AAD-equipped rigs are a safe object allowed on board (print it and take along). Also bring your Cypres card (with the Xray on the back), to make sure.
Flying back from FL to PHX i had to take off my shoes, nobody cared about the rig...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

The likelihood that a ticket rep knows anything at all about parachutes is slim to none.

Read this. You shouldn't have any problems at all at the airport, but bring a copy of the "TSA letter" and your USPA card with you and follow the tips laid out in the above link just in case.

I work for American.. and I travel all the time with my rig, I carry it on. in gear bag. try board early to get bin.. they ARE allowed. but not with a CO2 cartiage.. where they got that idea I don't know, but I don't understand why.. because every seat on a over water aircraft has one in the under seat life vest as well as extra vest on aircraft. parachute ARE NOT prohibited items,, unless they have a CO2 gas cartiage in it.. but I never ever heard of a parachute with one..
I'll try to find the sarbe N* record where it's listed and post it on here later.
Mike

The TSA are ok here at DFW but I've had problems at other airports.. all wires etc get them all excited.. just calm tell them its a parachute and have a cypres card show picture if you have a cypres. as for carring gear on aircraft.. I just carry mine on in gear bag and try board aircraft early as I can as later all the overhead bins get filled up.. I doubt the crew ever knoew I had a rig on aircraft.. but they are allowed. I even have a letter from Robert Crandall saying so.. maybe I should get that updated??
Mike

I flew on American Airlines from Austin, TX to LAX on July 9. The rig passed through the terminal x-ray machine (in my carry-on bag) and past the inspectors without a second glance. I'll let you all know how the return trip grows. Just to be safe, I'm traveling with a Cypres card, a copy of the TSA letter to Ed Scott at the USPA, a copy of the TSA webpage on traveling with a skydiving rig, a copy of the USPA web page on traveling with a rig that points out which chapter section (17.2 in version 4.0) of the Screening Checkpoint Standard Operating Procedure manual details the rules about skydiving rigs, and a copy of FAR 105.43 which states who many pack a reserve. I also have it writtten down that "the rules for parachutes on American Airlines are in their Sabre Reservations Computer under the heading "N*Prohibited Articles." It's on line 76N--"Parachutes without CO2 cartridges are allowed." If anybody can think of anything I'm forgetting, please let me know.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Maybe they can wear the rig and their jumpsuit, altimeter and a factory diver helmet so the TSA will know they are skydivers. Be sure to leave the hook knife behind.

Sheesh. How many times can this be talked about. Just make a new forum called "Traveling with Rigs - FAQ".

Jason,

I usually just carry my rig on like a backpack, but take yours in your gear bag and keep it with you at all times! Theres another thread on here somewhere, where someone checked their gear in a hard suitcase, and on their next repack, found holes in their reserve consistent with the folds. The stupid TSA people had decided to inspect the reserve container with some sort of needle. :o

You shouldn't have any trouble carrying it on with you. Just dont be late for your flight.. the only time I get hassled over my rig is when I'm running late. (Like *I* ever run late! haha!)

That is Very,Very helpful.

One question though, what is the letter to Ed Scott that you referred to and where can I get a copy of it?

Thanks so much for the helpful info,
Jason

I'm pretty sure I found it on the USPA website. I believe it was a PDF file.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I flew on American Airlines from Austin, TX to LAX on July 9. The rig passed through the terminal x-ray machine (in my carry-on bag) and past the inspectors without a second glance. I'll let you all know how the return trip grows. Just to be safe, I'm traveling with a Cypres card, a copy of the TSA letter to Ed Scott at the USPA, a copy of the TSA webpage on traveling with a skydiving rig, a copy of the USPA web page on traveling with a rig that points out which chapter section (17.2 in version 4.0) of the Screening Checkpoint Standard Operating Procedure manual details the rules about skydiving rigs, and a copy of FAR 105.43 which states who many pack a reserve. I also have it writtten down that "the rules for parachutes on American Airlines are in their Sabre Reservations Computer under the heading "N*Prohibited Articles." It's on line 76N--"Parachutes without CO2 cartridges are allowed." If anybody can think of anything I'm forgetting, please let me know.

--Douva

My American Airlines flight from LAX to Austin, TX, takes off in two hours and forty-five minutes. I'll post a follow-up to let you all know what I encounter.

--Douva

Can a sticky be made with this info? I understand thigs are going to be repeated on line, but wow, every time someone heads to the airport?

I agree - Moderators, Could we get a stickey thread on this for everybody? :)
=========Shaun ==========

I flew out of Houston last Monday and my Cypres equipped rig and my camera helmet with associated bite switches, pro dytter, etc... I carried my rig in a small bag with nothing else in it and no one even mentioned it. It was the first time I had travelled on a commercial air carrier since 9\11 and it was completely painless. I showed up 2 hours before my flight just to be safe and ended up having PLENTY of time to sit. Today I am flying back to Houston from Salt Lake City and am hoping it is as easy going the other way.

--Douva

My American Airlines flight from LAX to Austin, TX, takes off in two hours and forty-five minutes. I'll post a follow-up to let you all know what I encounter.

--Douva

Here's the follow-up:

At LAX, they x-rayed the carry-on bag containing my rig twice. They then asked me to step to the side for a bag inspection. The inspector swabbed the outside of the carry-on bag for explosives--It was clean. He then opened the side pockets. He noticed the TSA logo on the documents in the side pocket and asked if I'm with the TSA--I'm not. He then opened the bag and looked at the rig.

INSPECTOR
What's inside?

ME
It's a parachute.

INSPECTOR
A parachute?

ME
Yes.

INSPECTOR
I don't think that's allowed.

ME
That's what the TSA documentation is about.

INSPECTOR
Let me get my supervisor.

I take out the documentation and hand it to him while we wait for his supervisor.

He thumbs through it.

His supervisor arrives.

SUPERVISOR
What's up?

INSPECTOR
(reading from the documentation)
"Skydiving rigs with and without Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) are permitted as a carry-on or as checked luggage."

SUPERVISOR
Let me check with my supervisor.

The supervisor walks away.

INSPECTOR
This is a new one on me.

The supervisor returns.

SUPERVISOR
It's okay.

INSPECTOR
It's okay?

SUPERVISOR
It's okay.

INSPECTOR
Okay.

The inspector swabs the flaps of my rig for explosives.

It comes up clean.

He then helps me pack up my bag.

He points to the documentation.

INSPECTOR
It's a good thing you had this.

ME
Yes, we skydivers have learned to travel prepared.

End of story.

All in all, it took me maybe fifteen minutes to get through security, and now two more airport security officials know the rules pertaining to traveling with skydiving rigs. I considered it a pretty productive venture and patted myself on the back for being so thorough in documenting my case.

Blue skies,

Douva

where someone checked their gear in a hard suitcase, and on their next repack, found holes in their reserve consistent with the folds. The stupid TSA people had decided to inspect the reserve container with some sort of needle.

Wow!! What a horror story!

Thanks for the info.

(Like *I* ever run late! haha!)

Yeah, We all know your ALWAYS on time!!(lol)

Thanks,
Jason

Thank you so much for the very useful info!!

I appreciate you taking the time to be so helpful.

It's good to see that there are still some people out there who don't mind helping out a fellow jumper even if it seems to be beating a dead horse.

I know this info will be useful to others in the future.

I did enjoy the play by play as well!!

Thanks again,
Jason

I flew AIRTRAN with my rig from HOU-ATL and back in June with no problems. In Atlanta They had some questions. I showed them the new Cypres card and they said it pretty well matched what they were seeing but not quite. The only thing that showed up on the x-ray image that was questioned happened to be the Cypres switch unit on the back of my Mirage. They called a Supervisor, all he did when I mentioned their regulations governing our rigs was take the kit bag and swab it down, put the little paper in the machine. It passed. He gave me back my gear and I said "Thank You Sir" and I proceeded to my gate. Very simple and quick

Even better... A forum all to itself, plus...
-Stickied
-link to uspa letter
-Facts like saber entries for each airline (as they are collected with help of airline freinds)
-link to TSA letters, rules, etc
-any other general info

Hell, now that i think of it, USPA really should have a page with all that... after all, what the hell did I just shell out almost $70 bucks for... just a pretty card and a magazine subscription???? (rhetorical question from someone who just signed this years check, no flame wars plz)

anyway, it would be nice for travellers to have one place to go to get all the printouts they need to help grease the wheels of the ride thru TSA checkpoints.

REMEMBER... the government LOVES paperwork. The more paperwork you can hand a career TSA guy (to a point), chances are the happier he will be because that is what he has grown accustomed to.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!