darksteppa1

AFF Level 1

i ended up takin the course but my question now here is this......

i went there knowing all the hand signals, pretty much knowing everything but after the 4-5 hr class, i passed the written exam, got my USPA Membership. when i got suited up with one of taft's rig's. i got into the plane.( i was feeling gr8 about making this skydive) but when i got into the plane and, it went up things were fine untill all of a sudden i started feeling like i was going too throw up! i don't understand? i'm ready for AFF and, i know it but, what on earth made me feel this way? i mean, i did my 2 tandems...

im going back and, makin this jump in a couple of weeks i feel bad not doing it.

Maybe you started to think about how you were going to jump out of a plane.

For my first 50 or so jumps, I just made sure I was always at least a little hungry when I got into the plane. I don't recommend this, as it can cause other problems, but at least when I was really scared, I usually didn't feel sick to my stomach.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Hell man you are about to jump out of a airplane. Think abou it, you are no on your own (kinda) and that adds a ton of stress. Don't sweat it, it will come and you'll do fine. Why is it that people with 1000's of jumps still get butterflies practicing PLF's in their stomachs?
"GOT LEAD?"

I felt just about like I was going to pass out on my level 6 jump for some reason. I just felt uneasy. It took several seconds standing at the door to convince myself to dive out, but as soon as I did I felt much better.

Sometimes when I sit and replay jumps in my head, it makes me nervous, while other times I am just dying to drive to the dropzone and jump!

I think it is all part of learning to be a skydiver. An old Special Forces friend of mine that jumped many times into combat said that, "...the minute you aren't scared anymore, you shouldn't be jumping."

Practice and repetition builds confidence. Good luck in AFF. :)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Probably adrenaline.;)
Make sure you eat something and stay well hydrated before you jump.
Try to relax and just do what your Instructors tell you and you'll be fine. ;)

Be safe.

-

i ate some Burger King 1 or possibly 2 hrs b4 my jump.

p.s. my instructors said that i am a natural flyer b/c i already did 2 tandem's including, some wind tunnel time. but thank you for your reply's even though i may need some more advices on what went wrong with me.

p.s. yes, you can say that this is an extremely dangerous sport but, im now in lovw with it. it's my passion now and, nothing's stoppin me from jumping out of that plane. this sucks. im leavin on friday to go too Memphis after that im going str8 too Vegas and, New Orleans as my final destinations and, ill be coming back home. this would mean that i haven't jumped in a about 1 month and 2 weeks....

would i still feel the same way when i go back??? cause, if i do or dont? im going to make that jump.

I'm In Love With Skydiving Now

p.s. my instructors said that i am a natural flyer b/c i already did 2 tandem's including, some wind tunnel time. but thank you for your reply's even though i may need some more advices on what went wrong with me.

Just a question....

How does the act of doing a tandem or going into the wind tunnel make you a "natural flyer"?

Just a question....

How does the act of doing a tandem or going into the wind tunnel make you a "natural flyer"?

I smell a troll....
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Hey,
You need to decide what you feel comfortable with and go with that.

I was told early on in my jumping to make the decision weather or not to jump before getting on the plane. Meaning that making a decision once your in the plane is more difficult because of the difference in the level of fear. (BTW I'm really only talking about the fear issue, if the weather changes or clouds roll in, thats different.)

On my first IAF I was so bad! I was crying so hard that my goggles were all fogged up, but once I got out of the plane it all kicked in and the jump went great.

So good luck with whatever you decide!
Blue Skies & God Bless,
Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I don't have a lot of jumps, but I get a little nervous when we are close to altitude. Don't know why really. As soon as I get in the door, though, I'm fine, and it's all downhill from there.

Just try to relax and know that you're going to love what you're about to do. :)

Dude, of course you were nervous! I know, its seems like you shouldn't be if your tandems went really well, but you still are. I was the same way! It's a whole different ballgame up there when you're not strapped to someone and you realize that you will be saving your own ass today.
I was suprised, too, at how nervous I was. For me, I was able to get through it and jump (just barely!). But there have been many others who rode the plane down.

I agree it might help to not have much in your stomach. I usually don't each much beforehand cuz I'm nervous, and then right after I jump I'm starving! :)
The thing that works the best for me is to breathe, A LOT. Take huge, deep breaths. Inhale thru the nose, out the mouth. It really helps me get calm enough to where I can jump.

Everybody says these gut-wrenching nerves will pass in due time. Hang in there! I'm with ya!

Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

As everyone else has said it's only natural to be afriad and feel a little uneasy even after you've done a tandem already. I was a mess before a lot of my earlier jumps, AFF1 I was fine amazingly enough, with so much ground prep I thought I was ready and it was all pretty autonomous, but then from AFF2 to AFF8 my instructors were literally dragging me to the door, I was gripping the inside of the plane as the green light was flashing. They had to remind me that I had chosen to do this, I wanted to jump and everytime as soon as I'd leave the plane it was great but it just took a little (read: a lot!) of coaxing to get me to take the first step off...

It'll come, I don't have many jumps at all so I still get quite nervous but i'm a hell of a lot better than I used to be, I can walk to the door by myself now :P

Take two deep breaths, smile and relax as best as you can.
:)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Hey, I know exactly what you mean! I just did my AFF Level II jump last Saturday after ground school and was quite nervous myself...

I actually didn't feel too nervous in the plane...but did a little more once I got to the door...but it was when I jumped that I kind of "curled" up a bit into almost a sitting position...my instructors said thats probably because I was really nervous...but after a few seconds I really relaxed and got the arch/position down correct...

Then later that night one of the other jumpers in the plane said I looked scared...so who knows...I'm sure it will go away after time...I will find out this Saturday when I do my next few AFF jumps...

But goodluck to you and don't worry about it too much...

-Chad

I hear everyone and agree completely. Mostly I get nervous on the first jump of the day... but once I break through the first jump jitters I usually relax a bit more.

still some apprensiveness... I want some fear there just as long as it isn't debliltating.

Scott

And remember if your palms are wet and mouth is dry... just lick your palms and solve both problems. ;)

Listen man, you're gonna be nervous, especially during AFF. Even if you weren't nervous or scared about the jump, chances are you'll suffer from performance anxiety... worrying about how you perform what your instructor told you to do. (nothing sexual, that could become a lawsuit) The only way you'll shake the pre jump jitters on every jump is if your jumping a lot everyday... then you may become complacent like me. Hell, what's the worst thing that can happen? [:/]
~E