Lesuer

When did you start

At age 23 (19 years ago), I did my first jump using the IAD method. Everyone on the dropzone that day was in the plane that day, a 182. A guy making his first hop-n-pop, the instructor/dzo and the pilot. The drop zone was run out of the back of an old oldsmobile.
blue skies,

art

First jump at 20 on July 1st, 1973 (the day the legal age in Florida dropped from 21 to 18) at Z-Hills. My parents said "no way!" So I hung around the drop zone for 6 months, got my riggers license and generally learned as much as I could until Florida stepped in and changed the law for me :)

I packed T-10s and did rig and canopy repair to pay for my new habit. I literally lived in the loft for almost two years working for the owner/master rigger Jeff Searles.

I jumped at Z-Hills (A commercial center at the time) for the first two years and would have to say the average age then was low to mid 20s. There were "older" jumpers there to be sure, but the majority were of similar age to me.

I think the average age has increased over the years as expense has increased and also because with Tandem, it's much easier for anyone of any age to try it once.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

16 did first jump course s/l
injury force 13 month lay off followed by Aff

Took a break from 1999 - 2004 due to changing countries and not have wheels\money. Had to been done but am glad to be back and working towards 200.

Back into it and jumping more than ever have a proper job so can jump without having to pack to pay for it.
B|

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

Made my first one at 19, in 1970 as an airborne trooper courtesy of the army. Started sport jumping in about 1972. It was cheap, back then, to get into the sport. Quit in about 1975 for almost 25 years. It's great to be back... I think it's cool you are jumping with your son. This new gear enables a lot of us old farts to keep right on jumping. What a great sport!. I saw an old jumper jumping with his two sons at Lost Prairie a couple weeks ago. Another guy was jumping with his daughter. So it can be a family affair....Steve1

I started less than 3 weeks after my 18th birthday... around 11 months ago...

Had money in the bank to help me along, never would have made it through being a student if it wasn't for that.

^^ true with me too...

It's hard jumping as a college student: One, because priorities come into play... either study for finals OR spend lots of hours at the dz and Two, money is always a factor... thats why I work at the dz now...:S

I also wish this sport wasn't so expensive... just so I could drag in some other people my age... I've been told by some of the older jumpers at my dz that I am so lucky to have started at 18.... because they didn't start until they were in their 30's...

That is really cool that you and your son are learning to skydive together. :)
I started jumping when I was 19 (but I had been wanting to do it since I was a little kid). I went broke and maxed out my credit card after a year or two though :) ... So I had to quit, but then I started jumping again when I was 28. (I'm 33 now, but hardly jumping at the moment because I have too many other things going on.)

I was 20 when I started; 33 when I slowed to a virtual stop, and 46 when I started up again.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did my first tandem the weekend before my 42nd birthday!

Did a 3 more tandems to see if this was something I could do, And then began AFP. Went every other weekend to correspond with paychecks. But didn't end up finishing my training that summer, due to starting too late in the summer.

BUT I'M SERIOUSLY AT IT AGAIN, after 2 yrs away, and have 4 more jumps to finish my progression training in IAF. Right now I'm 16 jumps towards the 25 to get my "A" license.

P.S.
FINALLY "made" myself write that $51.00 check and sent it in to USPA for membership & their mag!!!

LILA.