Harksaw

How much do you trust your cypres?

Discussion we were having at the DZ the other day....

for One Hundred Million Dollars (TM)......

Would you jump out with no main and your reserve ripcord cut, with only a properly maintained and turned on Cypres to save you? Assuming no legal problems (there would be legalities in the US anyway, i'm not saying ANYONE should ever do this)

No.

;)

Yves.

For a hunderd million $s, would you take yer pecker out, put it in a biltong slicer and use a TSO'd 6 inch nail to stop the blade?

Thought not.

PS Biltong is to jerky as skydiving is to flying ;)
Grounded?!?!?! Whadda ya mean I'm "GROUNDED"?!?!?!?!

I was recently knocked out in freefall from about 11 grand and thankfully I had switched my Cyprus on. It fired and because of that I'm still alive. Sure my face is a bit bashed up from the unconscious landing but who cares cuts and bruises heal. Death doesn't. THANK GOD I HAD MY CYPRUS.

An old thread that I never answered....but, YES!!!!

I'm single, and I don't have kids. No one depends on me now, so I wouldn't feel guilty if I died knowing that there was a decent chance of living and having $100 million dollars to share with friends and family.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Nope. I have a cypress, but I don't rely on it. It gets turned on and forgot. It's there as a just in case.

Money's nice, but it's not everything.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yes. Shit, I'd do it for free just to piss people off...

It's already been done....well, not without the main and reserve cable cut, but a student once waited for their AAD to fire, and when they got questioned about it on the ground, their response was, "That's what it's there for."
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Nope.

100 million for possibly losing my life isn't worth it.

CYPRES must fire. Must fire in time. Canopy must get inflated in time.

I prefer to play the odds on this.

What about the odds of getting killed on your way to work(car accident, or so...) The odds of losing your life in this example is pretty low. So low that if you replace the example with just say you have "p" chance of dying for $100 million. Then consider you have 'p' chance of dying going to walmart to get your shopping. Everyone takes risks doing trivial stuff, but because the risk is so low it is not worth thinking about. Well some people do think about it but they don't go outside.

Note I pulled these probabilities out of my ass but I believe they are both so low you can consider them the same. I just don't see how the odds of dying in this example is going to be anything other than tiny.

I would do it as long as there was enough clear ground for me to land.

No fucking way.

Its a cool toy but thats just stupid.

I see many of the "CYPRES Generation" say they would...

Well I don't find that surprizing at all to be honest.

I agree with you Ron. No fucking way. Mine already did the job it was meant to when I was knocked out. As for doing it for a million bucks. ARE YOU PEOPLE MAD??????? There is no amount of money that you could pay me to risk such a high chance of losing my life.

>There is no amount of money that you could pay me to risk such a high
>chance of losing my life.

?? I've taken greater risks for free. A certain early morning BASE jump at a local crane comes to mind, which is probably the dumbest BASE jump I've done. Ten times more likely to kill me than trusting a CYPRES.

People die every day for nothing. That kind of money could do some incredible good. But that starts long philosophical arguments about 'the value of a human life' that I don't want to get in to.

I do remember hearing about a novice jumper a few years ago who cutaway from a malfunction and had trouble pulling his reserve. So he just went flat and stable and waited for his Cypress to fire. It worked but he caught lots of heat.

Anyway, yeah, sign me up.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video