Jib

How much wind at 12k is too fast to jump?

I just looked at the winds aloft for tomorrow and it looks like they're going to howl. So, how much wind speed (drift) is too much?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Does'nt matter. As long as the winds aloft are slower then the plane is flying and its making headway its all good. What matters are the wind speeds closer to the ground. Around 2k is where I would look.

I was on a load last year with the uppers at about 45-50 knots and we ended up spotting 1.5 miles from the DZ and were too close with the freefall drift. Next load we took it out another 1/4 mile. The winds at 2k were about 20 knots and the ground speeds were about 18 mph so it was'nt too bad at all. But got a huge amount of drift. :D
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As long as the winds aloft are slower then the plane is flying and its making headway its all good.

Why limit yourself? Your pilot can't back down jump run? Shoot......what he doesn't have a rear view mirror?

Tell him to just throw his right arm over the back of the copilot's seat, and look out the rear door. Nadda problem.

:D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

While it's true that for freefall it doesn't matter as long as the spot is ok, you might want to give some consideration to what would happen to the canopies if you had to cutaway.

So, full altitude CRW in 60 knot winds might not be the brightest idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Uppers don't matter. Hell, today from 6-12k the uppers were doing just under 60 knots. We didn't care, we just had to spot well and we go a shitload of drift.

If you're a good spoter, uppers don't matter, as long as you spot for them...(sorry robert).;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Uppers don't matter. Hell, today from 6-12k the uppers were doing just under 60 knots. We didn't care, we just had to spot well and we go a shitload of drift.

If you're a good spoter, uppers don't matter, as long as you spot for them...(sorry robert).;)

Just remember to leave adequate spacing between groups...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Now that funny JP. :D I can see our pilot sticking his head out the window looking backwards to ensure the spot too. BTW, has the FAA already approved those for use on an Otter or do we need to get the ball rolling on the paperwork for them?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was on one load this last summer where I was last out of the Porter with a Tandem. I checked the spot and it was okay but a bit on the short side. I was in the door waiting for the plane to go further. The pilot was giving me that look, you know, "let's go".

I was still waiting to get farther accross the DZ but it wasn't happening and the Pilot was REALLY giving me that Look! "Let's Go". During this time of 'communicating' with the pilot, he realized something and we talked about it on the ground later. The moving map on his GPS had done a 180 and the plane (while it was flying forward through the sky), it was actually flying backwards over the ground. We talked about it and switched to a crosswind jump run upwind of the airport. On that day, jump run worked much better that way.

We had winds of about 65kts at altitude in Andrews,NC. when the RoamingDZ was there in Oct.We were keeping up with the cars on the highway in freefall.

reminds me of one of my favorite cross country stories

:)

I should have taken a radio on a X-country jump 2 years ago. The uppers were around 50kt out of the west, and we exited over Lasalle, IL, to fly back 12 miles to Skydive Chicago.

About 1/2 way back a 737 flew right underneath us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've definitly done crew in 55 to 60 winds at altitude. There's no limit, just as long as the winds lower are good! That's all I worry about!

crew skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I live in Texas. The answer to where the canopies would land are:

a. A farmer's field
b. A farmer's field
c. A farmer's field
or
d. A farmer's field with a big bull...

Our odds are good out here :-) And definitely I would never cutaway a mal that high. and we mainly do only small-way CRW (2-3-4 ways) so we practically never have a CRW wrap....

W